Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Introduces the New 308 Small-Frame Autoloading Rifle (SFAR)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    20 rounds of LC13 ball fired yesterday. The rifle seems quite easy to shoot. Recoil is surprisingly soft given the rifle's weight, etc. I guess Ruger's brake is doing a good job.

Accuracy was generally disappointing but I'll try some "better" ammo.

No issues to report. Brass was ejected pretty consistently. Bolt locked open when empty, etc.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for the update. If ya could, keep it going as you get up in round count and try better ammunition.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Tok, what ammo did you run. Congrats

PB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Tok, what ammo did you run. Congrats

PB
    20 rounds of LC13 ball.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Any updates T on how the gun is performing?

Feedback Score
    I picked up a SFAR recently. I haven’t got a lot of rounds through it yet but so far so good. Mine is the 16” barrel model.

I’ve only fired 30 rounds through mine so far as the only day I’ve been able to get to the range had a 20 MPH cross wind, so never took it past 25 yards. I fired 20 rounds of 1980’s 150 gr South African military surplus, 5 rounds of Winchester Deer Season 168 gr SP, and 5 rounds of Hornady Black AMAX 155 gr.

First 10 rounds with the mil surp and it fired fine. I was mainly playing with the gas adjustment so that group was pretty ragged, but the gun cycled fine. I started on #3 and moved to #2 by round 5 and kept it there for the rest of the session. No issues.

Shooting from a bench using a Caldwell bag and a chair shorter than it should be, I got a couple groups I could probably cover with a half dollar from both. The Winchester was best, and a slightly larger group from the Hornady. But again, not an ideal range session.

I am NOT a good bench rest shooter nor was the bench comfortable for me to shoot at, but I’m happy with the results so far.

Recoil was less more than an AR but less than my 12 gauge auto loader with target rounds…so definitely not bad. I will be shooting it more now that I have a scope on it. I put a Swamp Fox Arrowhead 1-10
    on mine.

First impressions, I like this gun a lot HST based on weight and handling. Just on ammo costs, I probably won’t run 5K rounds through it in my lifetime, so longevity isn’t a big deal to me. Way cheaper to I’ve got several different boxes of ammo coming and I plan to see what shoots best for me. Once I figure out what it tends to group best, I’ll work on putting together a good load for it. But the farthest I plan on shooting it regularly is 300 yards.

More to follow when I get a chance to really get serious on different ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    There have been several "light" 308s released over the years. I made the AR12 4 years before DPMS came out with the GII, then POF had one, AA, S&W and maybe a few others. Everyone gets excited and buys one then a few years down the road they decide they don't like them as much as they thought they would and go back to the 5.56. It's gun guy addiction.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think the cost of ammo wears thin for most pretty quick.
    Unless you are a tuber who gets ammo sponsored, 5.56 starts looking better for most when $200 in spent ammo is on the deck in about 10 minutes.

I'm on my last case of Portuguese 7.62 that I got when milsurp was around.
    Looking like 68¢ a pop now for FMJ blasting ammo.
    FGGM is a bit cheaper now too, under $1.5 a pop for 175gr

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    On the link the theory was the BCG was melonite with a chrome lining. Looks more like phosphate to me. No reason to chrome plate something that is melonited. Besides it would soak into the chrome too. 4140

Some specs from Ruger. Gas key is nitride. BCG? I don't it is. Barrel is4140 Nitride CHF.

https://ruger.com/products/sfar/specSheets/5610.html

"Equipped with a Ruger Elite 452® trigger that delivers a smooth, crisp 4.5-pound 2-stage trigger pull. A full-strength hammer spring and lightweight hammer ensure fast lock times and consistent primer ignition."

Feedback Score

Ruger Introduces the New 308 Small-Frame Autoloading Rifle (SFAR)

Got away from work an hour early and decided last minute to rush to the range to do a preliminary sight in. I put a Swamp Fox 1-10 w/green BCD reticle.

In my haste, forgot my shooting rest, binoculars, and some targets, but decided to make the best of it and see what I could do.

Got it on paper fast at 15 yards and went out to 50 yards. It was a nice sunny day, 80 degrees and light wind. I am not a good bench shooter so my results may look like crap for a good shooter but I’m happy with them. I think if I had a good rest I would have done much better, but it is what it is.

These are the different ammo rounds I shot.

This was my bench and rest. Redneck option…LOL!

Winchester Deer Season XP 150

Hornady Black 155gr

The 1980’s SAfrican mil surp 150 gr

Top: Hornady Black 168 gr

Bottom: Win Match 168 gr

I didn’t give the rifle any time to really cool down, and I shot 6-8 rounds to get it close before moving it to 50 yards. I would load three rounds, shoot a group, load 3 more, shoot another group, and not much down time. And a short night sleep and I was kinda rushing, so that didn’t help.

I do plan to do this again after I shoot this awhile, but for now it’s good enough for the IDPA stuff I shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 03-10-23 at 17:56.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast