Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Introduces the New 308 Small-Frame Autoloading Rifle (SFAR)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    If these take off the market will follow. I saw something on LMT MWS guns running 13.5’s and it was cool. Hell I even thought about buying a 20 inch Xmas barrel and slicing it to 13.5 or 14.5. But MWS is still a hog. Gunna be interesting.
    PB
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Called it. Glad to see the SFAR taking off, I’m going to have to look into these 6.5s.
    So far the 6.5C is only available with a 20" barrel. There are two versions available. These appear to be the same rifle just with different furniture.

I'm hoping a 16 or 18 inch version comes out as I think either would be handy for suppressor use. But that's probably a niche market for this rifle. A more better option might be to have a 20" cut down by ADCO or whomever. Hopefully sawing a barrel off wouldn't require a bunch of gas port fiddling afterwards.

I'm actually kind of surprised Ballistic Advantage or another aftermarket manufacturer isn't making pencil profile, stainless fluted bull barrels, 12.5" barrels etc. The SFAR seems to be doing pretty well in the market and could use some more "tactical" barrel options.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I watched this. I have had no such issues with mine. 600ish rounds

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty_H View Post
    I watched this. I have had no such issues with mine. 600ish rounds
    What ammo? Any suppressor use? And then does it need gas setting adjustments with various combinations?

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    So far the 6.5C is only available with a 20" barrel. There are two versions available. These appear to be the same rifle just with different furniture.

I'm hoping a 16 or 18 inch version comes out as I think either would be handy for suppressor use. But that's probably a niche market for this rifle. A more better option might be to have a 20" cut down by ADCO or whomever. Hopefully sawing a barrel off wouldn't require a bunch of gas port fiddling afterwards.

I'm actually kind of surprised Ballistic Advantage or another aftermarket manufacturer isn't making pencil profile, stainless fluted bull barrels, 12.5" barrels etc. The SFAR seems to be doing pretty well in the market and could use some more "tactical" barrel options.

I asked BA about a pencil-ish profile barrel about 4 years ago. Their view was no money in it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I asked BA about a pencil-ish profile barrel about 4 years ago. Their view was no money in it.

BA makes probably 30 different barrels in 308 and 6.5C. Granted there are only a couple profiles and then different lengths or stainless or CrMoV so they are all just variants of two or three themes. Faxon also have several different lengths and profiles. They also have some 8.6 options.

So there is a strong market for the big frame stuff. Surely the small frame market will be there. If not now then within another year or two.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Called it. Glad to see the SFAR taking off, I’m going to have to look into these 6.5s.
    I just want a 6.5CM upper to add to my .308

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Ordered a 20" at dealer today. Biggest issue I've read is tight to no clearance between rail and gas block. If that is a legit issue anyone have a recommendation for aftermarket rail?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    No one is concerned by the "tradeoffs" used to shoehorn the .308 into what is essentially a 5.56 platform? i.e. all the extra gas holes in the BCG and the gas venting holes in the barrel extension? Not being critical, but I recall reading when these came out that some folks had an issue with those features.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    No one is concerned by the "tradeoffs" used to shoehorn the .308 into what is essentially a 5.56 platform? i.e. all the extra gas holes in the BCG and the gas venting holes in the barrel extension? Not being critical, but I recall reading when these came out that some folks had an issue with those features.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ber-Ruger-SFAR
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    What are the vent holes there for? They don't seem to do anything in normal operation. I would say they're there to serve the same function as the vent holes in many other rifles. To redirect pressure in the event of a case head rupture or a plugged bore.

There is a potential there for the introduction of fouling and debris from the vents but that's probably the nature of the beast. Better to have these vents to help avoid serious injury to the shooter rather than a complete sealed action that may come apart under extremely high pressure.

I don't know what Ruger did in the case of the SFAR but from talking to some of their people back when the SR556 piston gun was a thing--Ruger does what they call pyramid testing. A batch of guns are all shot X amount of rounds. Then the batch size is reduced. The remaining guns are then shot X amount of rounds. The batch is reduced again and again and process continues until a certain round count is reached or until things start to break. Then Ruger has samples of guns with known round counts that can be examined to see what wear patterns have developed along the way.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast