Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What if a suppressor is used in a defensive shooting?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I was referring to the original post. I was the one that started this thread with the idea of answering a question with a pretty obvious (now) answer. I meant I wasn't thinking clearly when I started the thread regarding LE's ability to take into evidence NFA items after a defensive shooting.

As to not speaking to the police, I would tend to agree almost unreservedly. A micro statement (similar to the one in your example) after being the victim of a crime, necessitating the use of deadly force in self-defense, goes a long way towards establishing innocence in the minds of first responders. And will determine the perspective from which the initial police reports will be written.

A very brief statement along the lines of, "The guy broke though the garage door and attacked me. I thought he was going to kill me, so I defended myself. I don't feel very well, officer, could you call me an ambulance, please?" will go a MUCH LONGER way towards establishing who was the victim and who was the perp versus a statement of, "I won't answer any questions without the presence of my attorney."

You can bet the police report is going to look pretty different between those 2 statements.
    Not sure I would even try to offer the 1st explanation. Too much adrenaline going at that time, it's very probable things get said that should not be said, so it's best to just not say anything, let them arrest you if that's what they want to do, then get lawyer. You can be in presence of good pro-2A cops, but their job is to document, and then the local DA gets it, whcih can then go south from there. Say nothing, which means DA has nothing until your lawyer word-smiths it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DwayneZ View Post
    Not sure I would even try to offer the 1st explanation. Too much adrenaline going at that time, it's very probable things get said that should not be said, so it's best to just not say anything, let them arrest you if that's what they want to do, then get lawyer. You can be in presence of good pro-2A cops, but their job is to document, and then the local DA gets it, whcih can then go south from there. Say nothing, which means DA has nothing until your lawyer word-smiths it.
    This is definitely the best plan for the vast majority of people. Good advice.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345