Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What if a suppressor is used in a defensive shooting?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    A DA would consider removing a suppressor to be tampering with evidence. That's a charge that could stick regardless of whether or not they charge you with something else. It could also lead to another charge that one wouldn't have otherwise had.
    Yea, I'm following the letter of the law if I smoke some gumbah rummaging in my house. They can keep my $4k rig if they want. Geissele trigger and all! No price can be too much for alive and free.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    A DA would consider removing a suppressor to be tampering with evidence. That's a charge that could stick regardless of whether or not they charge you with something else. It could also lead to another charge that one wouldn't have otherwise had.
    Yeah, that's what I figured too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Yea, I'm following the letter of the law if I smoke some gumbah rummaging in my house. They can keep my $4k rig if they want. Geissele trigger and all! No price can be too much for alive and free.

PB
    Exactly. I never understood the thinking behind buying a low grade firearm to use as a "truck gun." If you're going to be in a gun fight, you want to be in a gunfight with the setup that will give you the greatest chance of winning.

A conversation I had with a buddy about this subject:

My buddy: "I don't want to have a $2000 gun taken into evidence if I'm in a gunfight away from home, so I will use this barebones $400 PSA instead."
    Me: "If that $400 gun craps out, and you lose the gunfight, would you be willing to pay $2000 to go back and win?"
    My buddy: "..."
    Me: "Yeah, that's what I thought. Now quit being a dumbass and carry the best you can afford. Give yourself every opportunity to win."
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OutofBatt3ry View Post
    TL/DR: If you have the option, don't use things you might miss/be difficult to replace for HD/SD, imho.

Being in most every jurisdiction, if you're in a justified SD scenario, your gun goes off to evidence in the configuration they found it, and the chances of seeing it again are slim or at least the process of getting it back will be grueling.

If I was in an SD scenario, the last of my worries would be what happens to my gun and stuff attached to it after the po-po show up. As most of us agree, we like not being in jail.
    Perceived "tampering" could be bad; pretty dang sure of it. I'd probably just write it off.

My HD and EDC stuff is as reliable as possible, but absolutely replaceable.

Larping/"rare-er"(Nothing I own is that rare, maybe more sentimental than anything)/high dollar stuff stays in the safe.
    The irony comes in when you confront a burglar and instead of losing your $3500 TV, you lose a $10K rifle.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Yeah, that's what I figured too.

Exactly. I never understood the thinking behind buying a low grade firearm to use as a "truck gun." If you're going to be in a gun fight, you want to be in a gunfight with the setup that will give you the greatest chance of winning.

A conversation I had with a buddy about this subject:

My buddy: "I don't want to have a $2000 gun taken into evidence if I'm in a gunfight away from home, so I will use this barebones $400 PSA instead."
    Me: "If that $400 gun craps out, and you lose the gunfight, would you be willing to pay $2000 to go back and win?"
    My buddy: "..."
    Me: "Yeah, that's what I thought. Now quit being a dumbass and carry the best you can afford. Give yourself every opportunity to win."
    So let me ask you this.

What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?

Is the Geissele Super Duty that cost $2,000 even good enough? Or do you need a $3,000 KAC SR-15?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    So let me ask you this.

What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?

Is the Geissele Super Duty that cost $2,000 even good enough? Or do you need a $3,000 KAC SR-15?
    Hard for me to take this question seriously.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    If you are that worried about it… buy a duplicate of whichever weapon you’d want as your dedicated home defense/house gun, knowing you’ll likely lose it suppressor and all, in the event of a shooting and write it off. Either way, you are going to be out whatever dollar amount invested in the weapon, but as mentioned above, that should be the least of your worries.
    Last edited by WillieThom; 09-18-22 at 19:43.
    Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Feedback Score
    So let me ask you this.

I don’t know, be accurate, not jam, not double feed, basically not be a turd and run reliably. But hey, if you like running and trusting your life to junk, you go be you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    So let me ask you this.

This is sig line material!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This is sig line material!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    DONE!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast