Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: STRANGEST/CRAZIEST THINGS YOU PERSONALLY EVER SAW ON THE ROAD

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

STRANGEST/CRAZIEST THINGS YOU PERSONALLY EVER SAW ON THE ROAD

Ok, here it goes, from the Soaring Auto Fatality Rates thread...Lets hear all the wackado stuff yall have seen while driving. BROTHER TRUCKERS-CHIME IN, cause nobody see's more insane stuff than yall!
    I literally do not know where to start..and I know Ive forgotten as much as I remember. Ill chime in throughout the thread as time & inclination allow. ALSO- OTR drivers...chime in on stories from OTR that didnt happen while driving..just crazy stuff thats happened to all of us also allowed here. Here we go as they come to mind:
    SEXIEST THING I EVER SAW ON THE ROAD..HANDS DOWN. I hope I never forget her..driving southbound on I-95 loop around Boston just a few minutes after sunrise one morning in rush hour traffic in the late nineties. The most gorgeous Marilyn Monroe looking blonde..Monroe hairdo, sexiest bright red lips, legs FOREVER, cleavage to DIE for...pulled along side my rig and proceeded to hike up her mini skirt, and while doing 65-70 mph, slipped on her panties first..then stockings while driving with a pair of black high heels on. Truly, she was one of the most beautiful creatures Ive EVER seen to this day. Stayed beside me awhile. She got done, kinda squirmed a little in the seat to adjust things, I guess, looked up at me..she was in a small Ford Ranger type pickup...blew the sexiest kiss in history...then hammered down, got in front of me and an exit or two later got off the big road. Just..MAGNIFIQUE.

Next: Going west on I-40 close to Jackson TN one sunny day. I see a Tennessee State Prison van coming up beside me in the left lane, easin by.
    Looked down, the driver/guard had a S&W 19 in his right hand, tapping the steering wheel as he drove, looking into his rearview mirror, staring more at it than the road. As we went on down the road, I fully expected to see that van hit the shoulder and stop..but it finally disappeared. Always wondered about that.

TEXAS: Texas woman LOVE to flash truck drivers. Had it happen there more than anywhere. Anytime of day or night, too.
    Back in, I believe it was '98..Texas had the hottest, driest worst summer I believe STILL holds the record. For almost four months it never went under 100 degrees in daytime, and still 90's at night. Daytime was always at least 103-105, or 107. Dead livestock everywhere. NOTHING green. Dust galore. People dying by the hundreds, especially in Dallas-Fort Worth, for some reason. Had a load to Laredo, which I HATE that place. Tried to get out of it, no luck. So, I hit Texas, got on down to San Antonio to turn south to Laredo..HOT in a way I cannot describe. Had the cab AND bunk A/C turned to max..still sweatin. My hand to heaven, about halfway to Laredo...my outside thermometer read 129 degrees..confirmed by passing a Bank with the temp displayed on the sign. A few miles down the road, I look over in a dry dusty field and see a Border Patrol agent on foot chasing some dudes, while wearing full gear. That was tough, dedicated man right there. I had a nightmarish few days in Laredo then, & was glad to get the hell out.

Gay stuff GALORE. Nuff said about that.

Ive had guns pointed at me, pistols..an AK once..stuff thrown {got a hellava story comin on that} at me, couple times dudes thought they were gonna rob me..they didnt. Had a couple fights on the road, many "almosts".. got hurt bad a few times, broke bones, almost cut off a finger, lots of injuries. Been nearly flipped by high winds and tornadoes, rode out several hurricanes in the cab, seen more death on the road than I care to remember, I wont rubberneck today cause Ive seen all I want to see. Ive seen Americas geographical beauty, which is breath taking..and its urban shitholes which are deathlands. Had fuel freeze up in temps so cold it took three of us drivers in rotation to change out a fuel filter on top of a PA mountaintop one night. Was -20, iirc.

Canada...sucks ass. Again, nuff said.

Been in a blackout in Los Angeles...after 12 hours told my dispatch to either get me an immediate load outta there NOW, or Im deadheading a 100 miles away. They were chimpin out already & I aint stayin for THAT madness. I dead-headed out to a load iirc, 300 miles north.

Last one for tonight: West Virginia.. I-64, Sandstone Mountain. INFAMOUS mountain in the truckin world, very steep and very long & VERY deadly if you dont know how to handle it with a full load and no engine brake, which I never had, which I had 80,000lbs of Budweiser on this time, from Oh to VA. I was dreading that mountain before I even got loaded, and knew I couldnt/wouldnt sleep untill I made I made it down. So, zero dark thirty I hit the mandatory stop on top. Just so happened had my first wife with me, asleep in the bunk. Got out, pissed, looked at my tires, saw where all the run-offs were going down on the sign, prayed...and started her down, low & slow. My plan, was to stop every mile or so on the shoulder, cool the brakes, then ease on, mile at a time. Nah, didnt happen. When I tried to stop the very first time..I lost ALL my brakes, smoke boiling everywhere. I about shit me britches boys. Didnt care about me, and less about the truck or load..but my WIFE for Lords sake. So, I wake her up, said get in the seat & buckle up, and be quiet. She did. Thank God it was after midnight and no traffic. So, I couldnt remember how the bottom was, did it have a sharp turn, or what. Plus, my dang windshield was so bugged up, I had very limited vision. So, I was gonna hit the last runaway ramp. Told wife to not be scared, what to expect..and hang on & pray. Doing close to 100 mph when I come upon the last ramp...FULL..already had a truck in it. Shit..shit..shit. Was in Gods hands at this point. Bottomed out over 100mph...then started going uphill again. By the time I got to the top of that hill I had slowed way down, had enough brakes to stop, and did. Got out and puked my guts out.
    Had there been any turn or curve in road never woulda made it. Was scared to death my steer tires would blow. Nope. Everything held together, including me, long enough to get stopped. Praise be to God Almighty..I STILL thank Him for that. I was able to deliver that load, and get to a company terminal that did replace some brakes on the tractor. I really WOULDNT mind forgetting that run, as a few times a year I have nightmares about it still, and that '96-'97. My wife never rode again.

More later- lets hear what yall got!
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 09-07-22 at 01:34.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    About 1994 at 2 or 3am on 635. A guy decided to cross all lanes of traffic on foot. To get a pack of smokes. Was struck by a car and then a tractor truck. All that we saw left of him was his upper torso with his intestines strung out for many many yards in the middle of one of the lanes in a long streak of blood.

Feedback Score
    I guess this would qualify for your title.
    April of 1979, US 224 in Ohio. I was empty headed to the Whirlpool plant in Findlay for another load. Tornado "Watch" had been issued which is common for Ohio in the spring. I ran into what i thought was a sudden thunderstorm. Turned black suddenly with hard rain. I looked in my left rear view mirror and I see daylight under all of my trailer tires. Picked me up and turned me cross-way on the two lane road. I finally got stopped and the storm passed. I get out to look for damage and truck was alright. Looking around multiple roofs were ripped off and a massive two story barn that that you see everywhere in Ohio was completely flattened. Power lines were ripped loose and hanging about 3 -4 ft off the pavement. I sat there for about an hour till state police had us back up to a crossroad to turn around. The power lines were not being fixed anytime soon. I was told later it probably a mini-tornado that did a quick touch down and went back up. Don't know if it's true but I learned that day mother nature can be cruel when she wants to be.

I used to run the I-75 corridor for years hauling appliances into Atlanta. Spring break was always a favorite time. All of those college girls headed to Florida. They had been cooped up all winter and ready to bust loose.

Feedback Score
    I was a deputy and on SWAT, which put me in an "unmarked" police car. I was following a car across an overpass on I-5. When out of the car in front of me the passenger jumps out while the car is going about 35 miles an hour. I hit the blues as I come to a stop. report to dispatch what I was doing, as I watch the passenger hobble over to the edge of the overpass. I jump out of my car and ran to the guy as I figured out what was going on. I got my hands on the guy as he jumped over the edge, he was going to pull me over also. So I let him go and I got the bird eye view of the semi at maybe 70mph hit him before he touched the concrete. It was very much like a huge bomb had hit him. Just a stain.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerMKII View Post
    I guess this would qualify for your title.
    April of 1979, US 224 in Ohio. I was empty headed to the Whirlpool plant in Findlay for another load. Tornado "Watch" had been issued which is common for Ohio in the spring. I ran into what i thought was a sudden thunderstorm. Turned black suddenly with hard rain. I looked in my left rear view mirror and I see daylight under all of my trailer tires. Picked me up and turned me cross-way on the two lane road. I finally got stopped and the storm passed. I get out to look for damage and truck was alright. Looking around multiple roofs were ripped off and a massive two story barn that that you see everywhere in Ohio was completely flattened. Power lines were ripped loose and hanging about 3 -4 ft off the pavement. I sat there for about an hour till state police had us back up to a crossroad to turn around. The power lines were not being fixed anytime soon. I was told later it probably a mini-tornado that did a quick touch down and went back up. Don't know if it's true but I learned that day mother nature can be cruel when she wants to be.

I used to run the I-75 corridor for years hauling appliances into Atlanta. Spring break was always a favorite time. All of those college girls headed to Florida. They had been cooped up all winter and ready to bust loose.
    Im hip to the tornadoes AND the FLA bound college girls. You wanna REALLY see a show..be on I-24 anywhere between Nashville and Chattanooga when Bonnaroo lets out in Manchester. Last time I got caught in that mess, I was headed to Chattanooga and was stopped for about 3 hours or more, literally just stopped. Had an old VW Beeetle beside me almost the whole time, with 3 good lookin, but dirty as all get out, chicks...like mud all over them, ect. I had my window down, they tokin on a few numbers and the smell was intense. We were laughing, got a couple flashes, passed the time. They were from FLA come to think about it. And Ive been to Findlay Whirlpool many times.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I had the bad timing to arrive at a rollover right after the police did. They had not blocked the road or covered the deceased yet (they kind of waved me past him). Driver really should have been wearing a seatbelt and his head had obviously been between the car and the road at least once before he exited completely. I know truck drivers, first responders, and highway maintenance crews see lots of deaths on the road but it was my first and hopefully only in the states.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I had the bad timing to arrive at a rollover right after the police did. They had not blocked the road or covered the deceased yet (they kind of waved me past him). Driver really should have been wearing a seatbelt and his head had obviously been between the car and the road at least once before he exited completely. I know truck drivers, first responders, and highway maintenance crews see lots of deaths on the road but it was my first and hopefully only in the states.

Andy
    Yes, we do see a lot. Your experience and the others here so far, its why I HATE when people slow to look at wrecks. WHY do you want to see that horror?
    And not just people, Ive seen cattle cars flipped, on fire, cattle screamin, watched a small horse trailer full of pee wee calfs flip in I-75 north of ATL once, they got loose, running up/down both sides of the interstate, in horrible shape from the wreck...the young teenage boys pulling the trailer had it hooked up wrong & didnt know wth they were doing. Just death and wrecks almost every...single..day. Sometimes a few times a day.
    Oh yeah..seatbelts. IN THE TRUCK, wore mine "religiously". But from multiple past things Ive been in, I will NOT wear one in a car, period.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 09-07-22 at 07:36.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post

Andy
    Oh, this brought back an old (bad) memory.
    Fourth of July weekend in 1977, I was on US 30 east out of Ft. Wayne and came up on a crash. Young man fell asleep in the predawn hours hit the guardrail, spun backwards and landed on top of the guard rail on the opposite side of the road. Other people had stopped and some woman was saying we had to get him out of the car. Young man was all crumpled up in the passenger floorboard with a broken neck. I told them we need to shut the ignition and wipers off. The gas tank was punctured and leaking. We didn't need a fire.
    Found out later in it was a young sailor from Great Lakes Naval base headed home for the weekend. Just a bad day.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    But from multiple past things Ive been in, I will NOT wear one in a car, period.
    Would you be willing to expand on your thinking here? Thanks

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I saw some woman who'd been hit by a produce truck/box truck on the Freeway. DPS had just parked to block the body with headlights on her. It was pre-dawn.. no legs on the body. I originally thought a large light colored dog was on the road, but it was a dead woman. Supposedly seen walking along the freeway upset by the unreliable news accounts later that evening.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast