Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: STRANGEST/CRAZIEST THINGS YOU PERSONALLY EVER SAW ON THE ROAD

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    But from multiple past things Ive been in, I will NOT wear one in a car, period.
    Care to explain?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Care to explain?
    He'll combat roll if he gets ejected!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I used to live in Reseda California.
    One night at about 2100 hrs, I'm just sitting there four beers into a six pack and there is a terrible crash out side my door. I get out there and its a hit and run one car in the middle of the intersection.
    I get over there and the drivers door is totally demolished with one passenger behind the wheel and gas was leaking everywhere. I get in the passenger door and her face is covered in blood and her left arm was broke. I do a quick triage and she seems to be able to be move.
    As I rest my hand on the back of her head and slowly ease her in to a sitting position.
    The top of her head seemed to come off in my hand
    She had a wig on and I swear it freaked me out so bad.
    I got her out and stayed until the ambulance came. She had her purse in one hand and her wig in the other.

Feedback Score
    Back in the 80s I shutdown at a truckstop on I-80 in Nebraska. A woman walked out to the middle of the main entrance and laid down just before sunset.

I had to swerve around a woman less than 5 minutes from my current terminal. She was walking onto the interstate between an on-ramp and the big road with her back to traffic. She succeeded with the traffic behind me.

I concur on the rubberneckers. And cell phone users. random speed up, braking , and veering all over the road. Get stuck behind in a governed truck and you can't tell the difference between drunk driving and texting.

Every week I think I'm done, retire. But then I think health insurance, the planned inflation and economic sabotage underway. Turn 63 this year, doubt I last till 66 and 10 months the SSA calls for.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    Would you be willing to expand on your thinking here? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Care to explain?
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    He'll combat roll if he gets ejected!
    Soooo, I started to in my original post. But, Im gonna decline at the moment.
    And, I have been ejected...twice. Saved my life both times.
    No harm/no foul asking.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hi-wayman View Post
    Back in the 80s I shutdown at a truckstop on I-80 in Nebraska. A woman walked out to the middle of the main entrance and laid down just before sunset.

I had to swerve around a woman less than 5 minutes from my current terminal. She was walking onto the interstate between an on-ramp and the big road with her back to traffic. She succeeded with the traffic behind me.

I concur on the rubberneckers. And cell phone users. random speed up, braking , and veering all over the road. Get stuck behind in a governed truck and you can't tell the difference between drunk driving and texting.

Every week I think I'm done, retire. But then I think health insurance, the planned inflation and economic sabotage underway. Turn 63 this year, doubt I last till 66 and 10 months the SSA calls for.
    Man ,youve been otr for a LONG time. God bless, & stay safe brother. How many miles you got under you now?

Another story:
    Louisiana...late nineties, HOT, MUGGY July day...over 100 degrees I recall. Had the wife with me, somewhere out in the sho nuff backwoods north of La Fayette going to pick up a load. Gents...NOTHIN, NOWHERE around for a long time. On a very small, very crooked road, doing about 40, when we rounded a turn, and there out in the middle of hot hell nowhere, was an OLD guy, seriously looked late eighties, or more..in a...loin cloth, diaper lookin thing around his mid section, sandals, long beard & hair...dragging a huge, long CROSS, down the road. A CROSS. At the end of the cross, were little wheels to help drag it, but still, it looked heavy especially for him. He was soppin wet. We went on by, all I could do, wife looks over and asks me "What was he doing/what was that"..I remember saying something like " Baby, remember I told you before we left, you was gonna see & hear some odd stuff? Well, that was some odd stuff. I flat dont know what he is up too". I guess the old chap was doing penance, in HIS mind.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    I was a young child my first time. In the car with fam crossing the Smokies before I-40 did. On a 2 lane along edge of flat bottom land and slightly elevated above said bottom. Suddenly, the semi in front of us veered to the right, went through a barbed wire fence, did a perfect, completely airborne rollover and landed on it's tires. Cab and trailer still lined up straight as an arrow. I remain sure that, after changing his drawers, the guy probably just drove that rig out of the pasture and back onto the road.....
    Last edited by triggerjerk; 09-07-22 at 17:54.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Guy putting on a gorilla costume on the shoulder of the road in the middle of a weekday.

Feedback Score
    I was 16, driving north on I-65 in northern Indiana, when out from a corn field along the road an old guy comes dancing….. naked. Waving his arms and looking crazy. The girl riding in the car in front of me did a double take so I know she saw him too. It was weird.

During my CDL training I was in a really nice new International LoneStar with a 53’ trailer driving around near O’hare airport. A young lady pulled out in front of me when I was doing about 35 and she stopped because she wanted to go over to the oncoming traffic lane. I stood on the brakes as hard as I could and our eyes met. Her eyes had the look of terror and as she disappeared beneath the hood of my truck we braced for a collision. Amazingly, I stopped just short of impact and she slowly pulled out past us, a small wave of apology or fear or something, but she lived. I hope she has a better respect for trucks now. It happened so fast there was no horn and I didn’t get the clutch in quick enough so I stalled the truck too (and I’d driven manual for nearly 25 years).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Yes, we do see a lot. Your experience and the others here so far, its why I HATE when people slow to look at wrecks. WHY do you want to see that horror?
    I was once crossing a divided freeway bridge, and in the opposing lanes there had been a rollover accident with a vehicle still wheels up. People on my side were slowing down to gawk but generally maintaining maybe 35 mph. However when I get there the stupid girl directly in front of me hits her brakes, full stop, then pulls out her cell phone and starts taking pictures. After I recovered from the surprise and checked that I had avoided being rear ended (narrowly, if my memory does not embellish) I laid into my horn but it hardly was a strong enough rebuke. That was probably as close to "road rage" as I've ever been.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast