Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tavor 7 questions

Feedback Score

Tavor 7 questions

What ammo?

I've read surplus 7.62x51 can result in light strikes, removing the firing pin spring fixes that problem, but can cause others in the form of drop safety and commercial primer slam-fire.

Any of this true?

I have 150 gr and 165 gr commercial JSP's. The barrel twist favors light bullets and that's okay with me. I've thought about 130 gr JHP's too.

I've read the 1st batch of 2019/20 Tavor 7's were sort of pre-production and changes were made in later units.

Optics? Either a low-powered optic or RDS. Already have the big Meprolight RDS. The name escapes me but it's the newest version. Want folding irons, too.

Sling?

Feedback Score
    Some points:

1. Primers. I've tried a bunch of stuff including several types of surplus without any issues.

2. Ammo. Most choices will work, the question is what matches the rifle. I usually shoot 168s, which the Tavor stabilizes just fine (same with 175s) but this rifle's trigger, ergonomics, and sight mounting system aren't conducive to match accuracy, so I keep mine sighted in for 147.

3. First batch. This is unknown/unverified from what I can tell. Early reviews do seem to be of preproduction units.

4. Optics. RDS or low powered (even 1x) prismatic. I use a Holosun 512T. I've shot mine with a 5x prismatic and a ZCO 4-20 attached, and the low powered optics make more sense with this rifle.

5. BUIS. Not on this gun IMO. Maybe a front sight using the powered off dot as a big rear aperture.

6. Sling. Use IWI's Savvy Sniper offering meant for the Tavor 7.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Danus ex View Post
    Some points:

1. Primers. I've tried a bunch of stuff including several types of surplus without any issues.

2. Ammo. Most choices will work, the question is what matches the rifle. I usually shoot 168s, which the Tavor stabilizes just fine (same with 175s) but this rifle's trigger, ergonomics, and sight mounting system aren't conducive to match accuracy, so I keep mine sighted in for 147.

3. First batch. This is unknown/unverified from what I can tell. Early reviews do seem to be of preproduction units.

4. Optics. RDS or low powered (even 1x) prismatic. I use a Holosun 512T. I've shot mine with a 5x prismatic and a ZCO 4-20 attached, and the low powered optics make more sense with this rifle.

5. BUIS. Not on this gun IMO. Maybe a front sight using the powered off dot as a big rear aperture.

6. Sling. Use IWI's Savvy Sniper offering meant for the Tavor 7.
    Thanks for the help!

How about the butt pad? Add rubberized strip, try it as-is, or just get the Manticore replacement?

Oh, how loud is the factory muzzle device? I have a "linear" type device I call a "sound thrower" that would fit. Kaw Valley....I think I have a 7.62 standard A2 style device, too.

Any thoughts on the muzzle device?
    Last edited by Ron3; 09-08-22 at 10:19.

Feedback Score
    Get the Manticore replacement buttpad. It's a nice enhancement.

The muzzle is a source of agony on the Tavor 7. The stock brake is more loud than useful.

IWI Tavor 7 and Galil ACE barrels don't really use a shoulder, they instead use this awful jam nut that simply freezes the muzzle device in place without providing something firm to index against. Consequently, suppressor mounting requires additional effort. In the case of the Tavor 7, it has a tiny shoulder, so you can use a FN SCAR shoulder ring to create a larger shoulder for a rigid muzzle device mount, though not a perfectly-aligned one. I did this to mount my OSS flash hider. The Galil ACE is a bigger pain in the ass.

This thread inspired me to shoot my Tavor 7 today. One important note for you is that this rifle is clearly designed around M80 ball: it runs smoother, recoils much less, ejects better, doesn't dent the case, holds open on empty, and, unbelievably, shoots more accurately (~1.5–2 MOA 5 shot groups) with M80 (DM111 for me) than with FGMM 175, IMI 175, FGMM 168, and Norma 168 (my go-to cartridge). The heavier the bullet, the worse it shoots, with significant vertical dispersion with both 175gr cartridges. This is probably due to the gas system/action behavior differences with the match ammo. The 168s showed similar but much less significant dispersion. Switching to the adverse or suppressor gas setting might have changed the outcome there. Bottom line: try some different M80 types, find one it likes, and roll with that.

Feedback Score
    Thanks!

I'll try the Kaw Valley sound thrower and if I think its adding recoil, I'll try to find an A1 7.62 birdcage style device. Neither of those require indexing.

I've been focusing on 150 gr and lighter ammo, especially jhp/jsp, so that works for me.

I do not plan to reload rifle rounds. I know M80-type is basically just machine gun ammo but like you I suppose a gun might favor one type of 7.62 ball over another and it's worth it to try a few brands. I'd like to see 2-2.5 moa, but I wouldn't kick it out of bed for 3.0. Hoping for less with name-brand hunting ammo.
    Last edited by Ron3; 09-09-22 at 12:00.

Feedback Score
    I think you'll be in good shape. Make sure to use the jam nut with either muzzle device as the barrel has no shoulder.

The Tavor 7 with a suppressor, lighter ammo it likes, and 1-3x optic is glorious to shoot.

Feedback Score
    Cool.

I'm still waiting for it to come in.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I've read surplus 7.62x51 can result in light strikes, removing the firing pin spring fixes that problem, but can cause others in the form of drop safety and commercial primer slam-fire.

Any of this true?

I have 150 gr and 165 gr commercial JSP's. The barrel twist favors light bullets and that's okay with me. I've thought about 130 gr JHP's too.

I've read the 1st batch of 2019/20 Tavor 7's were sort of pre-production and changes were made in later units.

Optics? Either a low-powered optic or RDS. Already have the big Meprolight RDS. The name escapes me but it's the newest version. Want folding irons, too.

Sling?
    Mine has run every type of ammo fine. The gun is a very fun shooter, but it isn't the most accurate gun. I think it would be an incredible all-around gun for someone who wanted something that could do pretty much everything (other than long range precision).
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dumb Gun Collector View Post
    Mine has run every type of ammo fine. The gun is a very fun shooter, but it isn't the most accurate gun. I think it would be an incredible all-around gun for someone who wanted something that could do pretty much everything (other than long range precision).
    That's my intention.

Feedback Score
    After 100 rds of old 7.62x51 Tavor is awesome!

Handles surprisingly fast. Recoil noticeably less than my AR10. This even with having replaced the factory brake with a KAK muzzle device. (Throws sound / blast forward) I'd like to see how that does in lower light. It kicks sort of like an AK. Roll with it and it pushes you a little more that. Pull the gun in to fight the recoil and feels like a 7.62 AK. I will probably end up putting a can on it.

Can't speak much to accuracy using 40 yr old ammo at 50 yds. Less than 2 inches for 10 rds anyway using the big Meprolight RDS. Will get backup sights and possibly a Meprolight magnifier.

The Meprolight optic is very clear and very bright in daylight if desired. Great controls, easy adjustment.

The trigger is fine. 2 stage, feels like 4 to 4.5 lbs. I can really clearly feel when its about to break the shot. Very consistent.

No malfunctions. Love the controls! Definitely superior to the original Sar21 style Tavor I tried years ago. Used magpul mags drop free.
    Last edited by Ron3; 09-28-22 at 06:49.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast