View Poll Results: Which caliber for alloy 1911?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • 9x19

11 47.83%
  • .38 Super

2 8.70%
  • .45 acp

9 39.13%
  • 10 mm

1 4.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite alloy-frame 1911 caliber out of these?

Feedback Score

Favorite alloy-frame 1911 caliber out of these?

I don't have an opinion on a favorite yet.

I do favor the most reliable one. More rounds in mag is nice, too.

I reload so I'm not concerned about ammo cost. Not that I like chasing casings because I don't.

Not sure if an alloy 1911 in 10 mm is even a thing.
    Last edited by Ron3; 09-07-22 at 13:10.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I still have a DW Commander (size) pistol in 9mm; 10+1.
    Good, but minimalist gun.

The use of Ramped Barrels was a HUGE improvement in alloy frame 1911s.
    I had on old alloy frame Colt Commander in .45 ACP with a standard, non-ramped barrel. Just a few hundred rds of JHP chewed up the frame badly enough it wouldn’t reliably feed.
    I installed a Steel ramp insert in frame and that solved problem, but was a PITA.
    The point? Whatever you consider getting, caliber wise, make sure it has a ramped barrel.

Add; of your listed caliber options, 9mm is far and away the cheapest to load/shoot.
    Last edited by gaijin; 09-07-22 at 14:52. Reason: add stuff
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I still have a DW Commander (size) pistol in 9mm; 10+1.
    Good, but minimalist gun.

The use of Ramped Barrels was a HUGE improvement in alloy frame 1911s.
    I had on old alloy frame Colt Commander in .45 ACP with a standard, non-ramped barrel. Just a few hundred rds of JHP chewed up the frame badly enough it wouldn’t reliably feed.
    I installed a Steel ramp insert in frame and that solved problem, but was a PITA.
    The point? Whatever you consider getting, caliber wise, make sure it has a ramped barrel.

Add; of your listed caliber options, 9mm is far and away the cheapest to load/shoot.
    Thanks for the ramp tip!

I'd heard about it but wasn't sure how necessary it was.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    If all you shoot is Ball/FMJ not much of a problem. JHP thrown in, it IS a problem.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    If all you shoot is Ball/FMJ not much of a problem. JHP thrown in, it IS a problem.
    It would be both.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I voted .38 Super Auto. Because.... That's what I have. But I have a drop in 9mm barrel and a .22 top end for it. The 9mm works great.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The Super definitely gets the nod in terms of “usable horsepower”. By that I mean quick, accurate shot to shot; much more controllable than 10mm (particularly in full house mod) and even .45 ACP in 230 gr Ball configuration.
    The Super, at full throttle in 125 and 147 JHP is a 10+1, low end .357 magnum.
    My preference is 147 Gold Dots at 1250+ fps; accurate and reasonably controllable.

Downside is, the Supers definitely a handloaders cartridge due to cost; factory ammo or components.

I have a couple 1911 .38 Supers. Both are Steel Frame. An Alloy Frame in any you mention but 9mm are going to to jump around quite a bit more than 9mm.

I prefer to run “Super Comp” or other Rimless Brass. It stacks better than the semi-rimmed case in terms of maintaining angle in a full magazine, and feeding has proven to be more consistent.
    The semi rimmed .38 Super case causes ammo angle to become shallower the more rounds you have in the magazine.
    This can result in “nose dives” in feeding.
    Last edited by gaijin; 09-09-22 at 16:28.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Super definitely gets the nod in terms of “usable horsepower”. By that I mean quick, accurate shot to shot; much more controllable than 10mm (particularly in full house mod) and even .45 ACP in 230 gr Ball configuration.
    The Super, at full throttle in 125 and 147 JHP is a 10+1, low end .357 magnum.
    My preference is 147 Gold Dots at 1250+ fps; accurate and reasonably controllable.

Downside is, the Supers definitely a handloaders cartridge due to cost; factory ammo or components.

I have a couple 1911 .38 Supers. Both are Steel Frame. An Alloy Frame in any you mention but 9mm are going to to jump around quite a bit more than 9mm.

I prefer to run “Super Comp” or other Rimless Brass. It stacks better than the semi-rimmed case in terms of maintaining angle in a full magazine, and feeding has proven to be more consistent.
    The semi rimmed .38 Super case causes ammo angle to become shallower the more rounds you have in the magazine.
    This can result in “nose dives” in feeding.
    I love my Colt Super Auto ! It is my favored pistol for 2 gun now and it's been faultlessly reliable covered in the moon dust of southern Utah. I reload for it and I will continue until I run out of primers but primers are stupid expensive now and I find myself looking online for deals on factory Super.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Yes!

They’re lasers as far as handguns go. Also hard hitting.
    One of my favs is a 70 series Colt 9mm, full house Custom with old school HC frame and blued slide.
    Found a “pre 70” Colt .38 Super slide. Had it full blown “customed” just like the 9mm slide.
    Frame rails were welded up and fit to frame, for a two caliber gun.
    It’s almost too pretty to shoot, but I do. Both the 9mm and Super are 2” at 50 yds from bench.

Feedback Score
    What about extraction / ejection with the super comp?

Does it require an adjusted extractor? What if a gun has an external extractor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast