Thread: Another Moon Clip Question (J-frame)

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Another Moon Clip Question (J-frame)

Anybody have good luck with the factory blue steel moon clips that come with a new S&W? I have a 442Pro and a PC642 that both came with the blue TK clips but they aren't flat at all. I purchased some SS TK clips for my Speer/Hornady carry ammo and they are perfectly flat. I contacted Smith and they are sending out another set but I'm figuring they aren't going to be much better. In the end I'll probably purchase another set of the SS ones but I was wondering if anyone had and easy way of flattening these out?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Moon Clips are/were Spring Steel. Probably won’t have any luck trying to “straighten” them.
    Wilson sells them so they’re likely GTG but pricey.
    Numrich usually has reproductions.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    If the replacements are also warped, you might contact TK Custom and see if they will trade for good ones.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Moon Clips are/were Spring Steel. Probably won’t have any luck trying to “straighten” them.
    Wilson sells them so they’re likely GTG but pricey.
    Numrich usually has reproductions.
    I don't thing these are spring steel, just blue steel.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    In that case I’d think some judicious tweaking with a couple pair of Pilar’s (ideally smooth jaw) would suffice to get them close to flat. But if they’re not Spring Steel they’ll just bend again.
    Personally I’d invest in something that has a chance of holding up, like Wilson’s.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Understand that the J-frame clips do not have a lot of material connecting the cartridges together, which makes them a bit delicate even though they are constructed from spring steel.
    If you aren't using a tool to make sure tight fitting cartridges are withdrawn radially out of a packed clip, there is a real risk of the clip becoming distorted.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Yeah I have the golf club de-mooner. These were all new and never used. I did pound them out with a plastic mallet against a old piece of granite countertop and that seemed to take some of the twist out of them. I'm only going to use the blue ones for range practice and keep the good TK stainless ones (that look far more durable) for the rounds in the gun. I carry a speed strip or speed loader for the reload, just like the moon clipped ammo in the gun for the extraction. I'll look into Wilson, I didn't know they made any for the J-frame. Most everyone is either .45 ACP or 8 Shot PC guns.