Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top End LPVO...Vortex, Nightforce, something else?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Top End LPVO...Vortex, Nightforce, something else?

I'm building up a rifle that is looking to have a lot of potential, based on a 14.5 midlength Geissele, and I'm thinking about splurging on a high end LPVO for it. The two top tier options I have some familiarity with are the Gen III Vortex 1x10, and the ATACR 1x8. Both seem about equal in terms of reticle, durability and glass quality, so what I'm most interested in are eye box, low light performance and field of view. Use case will be "do all" rifle--most of my shooting is in the 200 - 500 yard distance, but I also want capability on 1x...though I'm probably adding an offset micro dot so that's not my top priority.

Alternately--I'm also fully aware I might be jumping the gun by going to the top end of the market. I've also looked at the older Gen II Vortex 1-6 and the Sig Tangot6T, and they seem like very capable scopes...I'd probably lean toward the Sig for FFP and the ability to use the mil scale to measure. I don't plan to shoot under NODs with this set up, and weight is not a huge concern for me because I'm used to heavier carbines. In terms of top end magnification, I'm more interested in the ability to be able to see the environment down range clearly than have a super zoom.

Thoughts?
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Top End LPVO...Vortex, Nightforce, something else?

When you say some familiarity, does that mean use? Or just aware of features? I think this starts to become one of those debates where all of the options are so close overall that personal preference really will come into play. SupersetCA has a vid where he compares the two high ends plus the Swaro and Khales and he ranked the Razor over the ATACR in almost category. But there are plenty of NF die hards that argue the optical clarity and low light performance on the ATACR is leaps and bounds ahead of the Razor. I’ve also heard plenty of people say they had terrible fish eye with the Razor, to the extent that I wonder how much an individual’s eye comes into play.

At the end of the day, I went with the Razor as

One more to make the problem more difficult is the new PA PLx Compact.

Ultimately, my preferred setup after having tried the MRAD and JM-1 1-6E, MRAD and MOA 1-10, the P4Xi, and having only zero’d my new 1-8 PLx, is the 1-10 Razor. It seems to offer a lot of what I want for a significantly better price than the ATACR. If I could close the price gap between the two, I’d probably try the ATACR, but 1-10 Razors are pretty easy to find lightly used in the $1800 range so that’s still a large gap. Makes you wonder about why so many people are dumping them but I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Wake27; 09-08-22 at 21:18.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    If I had the money I'd love to get a Schmidt Bender PM II 1-8x24 ShortDot Dual CC.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    One more to make the problem more difficult is the new PA PLx Compact.
    … and having only zero’d my new 1-8 PLx,
    Looking forward to hearing your experience/opinion of that when you get some time behind it

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Looking forward to hearing your experience/opinion of that when you get some time behind it
    Unfortunately I couldn't make the LPVO course this past weekend, I was really hoping to try it out there. It isn't as bright as I want but the reticle is bold. I wish I still had a Razor 1-6 to compare 1x performance to but we'll see.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Do you want a cqb/close range gun that can also do far reasonable well? Go second focal plane like the Razor 1-6.

Do you want a gun that will do far well and do close reasonably well? So FFP like the ATACR 1-8.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I really am looking forward to info on the PLX.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 09-09-22 at 09:19.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I went with the cheaper Nightforce NX8 1-8 with exposed turret to dial for elevation. The ATACR is very very nice but not worth the extra cash for me. These can be gotten for around $1,600 if I'm not mistaken. Maybe cheaper used.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 09-09-22 at 11:27.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I don't have the PLx compact, but i have run the PA Platinum 1-8 now hard for a few years, and i've been nothing but impressed. The glass is very nice, i love the ACSS reticle, and it's very tough. Only downside, which i think they've addressed somewhat with the compact, is the weight. But having shot behind Vortex Razors and NF ATACR LPVOs, i can say the PA PLx or Platinum series LPVOs are fantastic scopes for the price, that stack up very well against those higher dollar scopes.

I love the Razor Gen III 1-10 alot, (and if i were to switch, that's the one i would get) but haven't felt the need to spend the extra money, as my PA Platinum does everything i want. If you can find a used Razor 1-10 for around $1,800 though, that's not a bad way to go.
    Last edited by B Cart; 09-09-22 at 12:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    I don't have the PLx compact, but i have run the PA Platinum 1-8 now hard for a few years, and i've been nothing but impressed. The glass is very nice, i love the ACSS reticle, and it's very tough. Only downside, which i think they've addressed somewhat with the compact, is the weight. But having shot behind Vortex Razors and NF ATACR LPVOs, i can say the PA PLx or Platinum series LPVOs are fantastic scopes for the price, that stack up very well against those higher dollar scopes.

I love the Razor Gen III 1-10 alot, (and if i were to switch, that's the one i would get) but haven't felt the need to spend the extra money, as my PA Platinum does everything i want. If you can find a used Razor 1-10 for around $1,800 though, that's not a bad way to go.
    The PA Platinum LPVO’s are good scopes. Overall, I like my 1-8 Griffin Mil better than my NX8 1-8. I’ve had both for a few years. Neither have given any trouble and both have held up well.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast