Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Top End LPVO...Vortex, Nightforce, something else?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    I think a lot of it just depends on environment and mission/application. I live in Utah, where there are a lot of open spaces to shoot out to 1,000+ yards, so i appreciate a little extra magnification on the top end. But for many, 4-6x may be plenty of magnification. Even though the Vortex Gen III Razor offers extra magnification, I think the Razor Gen II 1-6 is still an extremely useful LPVO for many situations, and has a more useable red dot.
    I'm jealous of you being in Utah, I would love to get out that way again. I really liked the Gen 2 Razor, I just think that they need to bring the price down with all the competition it has now. I'd like to get my hands on the Primary Arms Compact 1-8x, although they say it isn't quite daylight bright which can really bother me when I'm shooting in the woods as you can go from open pockets of prairie to heavily shadowed thickets of trees in just a few steps.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    For 0 to 400 yds I still like my 14.5" inch barreled upper with the Kahles K16i 1-6X with the G4B reticle. I recently added an ACRO P2 at 12 o'clock, and in it's role it works just fine *for me*.

14.5", 12.5", 11.5" uppers

That’s a nice setup. I have a Trijicon Credo 1-6 on a 14.5. But I like the Kahles better. Nicely put together rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    I'm jealous of you being in Utah, I would love to get out that way again. I really liked the Gen 2 Razor, I just think that they need to bring the price down with all the competition it has now. I'd like to get my hands on the Primary Arms Compact 1-8x, although they say it isn't quite daylight bright which can really bother me when I'm shooting in the woods as you can go from open pockets of prairie to heavily shadowed thickets of trees in just a few steps.
    Hit me up if you're ever out this way! I have some property with steel set up from pistol ranges to 2,000 yards.
    As for the Primary Arms PLx 1-8, i've heard great things about it. I have the Primary Arms Platinum 1-8, which is the heavier version before the new PLx compact, and I absolutely love it. Mine is daylight bright though, so that's disappointing if the new PLx compact isnt...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got a chance to put some rounds through the Vortex Gen III yesterday. It's definitely a great scope, but there will be a bit of a learning curve for me on getting the most out of it. It's got the magnification and the reticle to handle long range work, but when I did notice the lack of a parallax adjust. That's not a problem--it's just something I'm used to on scopes with a mil reticle and 10 power. The reticle is very shootable--I think I might prefer a chevron type aimpoint instead of the circle dot system, but that might just be because it's what I'm used to. The segmented circle is totally fine for combat accuracy--because the scope goes out to 10x and I've got it on a pretty accurate rifle it's tempted to treat it like a precision optic, but it's not. I also would appreciate a zero stop on it--not because I plan to dial it but because it simplifies adjustments between multiple loads--as it is, it's fine because I can write down the adjustment for ammo and do the same thing, but I can't just twist it back to zero. That said, it was pretty easy to take it out to 500 meters from field positions, and I'm familiar enough with mil hold overs and 5.56 it wasn't an issue to get hits. I only had 55 grain with me so I didn't bother trying beyond 500. On 1x, the dot works pretty close to an Aimpoint, and I also found the stadia lines were good enough to frame the target and get acceptable hits at closer ranges. Overall, I think it's an incredibly versatile optic because it makes a lot less compromises at practical carbine ranges than any other optic system I've used. The observation and PID capability the 10x gives you is an incredible advantage over a more traditional 3x or 4x set-up.

One thing I really appreciate is that the reticle is scaled so that's useful down at 6x. The eyebox seems fine to me, the biggest thing I noticed is that you have to be careful of eye relief when shooting at unconventional angles. At least for my eyeballs, the primary issue I had was getting too close to the optic, not too far away. Shooting with my stock all the way out helped that--I'm also ACOG and A2 iron trained so I probably have more more head forward shooting position than a lot of people. That's not a knock on the scope, it's a training issue for me.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase so far. I didn't run it with any gear on--I have some concerns about the throw lever being a snag hazard/getting bumped with the rifle slung over a plate carrier/chest rig, but that's probably an issue when all scopes. At some point, I may add a 45 degree offset micro dot, in which case I'd probably walk around with the scope somewhere in the middle of the adjustment range anyway, so less of an issue.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TBAR_94 View Post
    I got a chance to put some rounds through the Vortex Gen III yesterday. It's definitely a great scope, but there will be a bit of a learning curve for me on getting the most out of it. It's got the magnification and the reticle to handle long range work, but when I did notice the lack of a parallax adjust. That's not a problem--it's just something I'm used to on scopes with a mil reticle and 10 power. The reticle is very shootable--I think I might prefer a chevron type aimpoint instead of the circle dot system, but that might just be because it's what I'm used to. The segmented circle is totally fine for combat accuracy--because the scope goes out to 10x and I've got it on a pretty accurate rifle it's tempted to treat it like a precision optic, but it's not.
    I think you'll find that the semi-transparent hashed circle and dot are far more capable of precision than you think it would be capable of. When you switch back to a solid reticle you'll wish all reticle centers were semi-transparent.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I think you'll find that the semi-transparent hashed circle and dot are far more capable of precision than you think it would be capable of. When you switch back to a solid reticle you'll wish all reticle centers were semi-transparent.
    Agreed. I’m really liking the chevron on the Holosun 507 ACSS Vulcan for my pistols but I wish the one in my PA PLx 1-8 Compact was semi-transparent like my Razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Agreed. I’m really liking the chevron on the Holosun 507 ACSS Vulcan for my pistols but I wish the one in my PA PLx 1-8 Compact was semi-transparent like my Razor.

Interesting--I definitely need to get some more rounds down range to get my eyeball calibrated.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Which models and generations have this semi-transparent central reticle?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I was wondering the same thing.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Gen 3 1-10, I don’t know about any others. You may have to ask Vortex about that since they have several Razors in higher magnification. None of the 1-6s have it.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast