Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My experience w/ BRT EZ-Tune gas tubes...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

My experience w/ BRT EZ-Tune gas tubes...

Used on a 14.5 Armalite and one of my BCM 11.5's in the stable.

Both guns ran 100% with all types of ammo - steel, cheap brass, 5.56 here in Montana from 0 degrees to 90ish in all seasons.

So the Armalite I will rave about, great gun for the price, but not gassed like a 6920. The BCM is circa 2018, overgassed to a harsh degree. Ironically, a circa 2019 BCM 11.5 I have seems gassed just right w/ standard parts.

Purchase was made after reading how well these were working, and I wanted to see for myself. I selected the "BRT will choose" and provided all relevant specs for that optimum choice.

Armalite system specs: Base gun, exception of VLTOR REA5 w/ A5H1.
    BCM system specs: Base gun, exception of VLTOR REA5 w/ A5H2

Both carbines have newish gas rings and are PM'd respective to their round counts (BCM 4008, Armalie 1968). I was sent a .0635 for the Armalite and a .071 for the 11.5. Installed and the results:

5.56 - reliable, both.
    Cheap 223 - failure to lock back, 11.5. Failure to cycle, 14.5.
    Steel - failure to lock back, failure to feed, both. Stuck casings in 11.5

Quick fix check on 11.5 was to swap A5H2 w/ A5H1...change, cheap .223 lock back. No change in steel performance.

Shoot-ability went up, reliability cratered.

I reached out to BRT CS for their thoughts, after a week, was asked about my gas rings. I replied, and shared some thoughts I'll add below.

I returned to regular tubes and normal 100% reliability returned.

My conclusion, even these non-suppressor tubes are only suitable for suppressor use. In winter here, the cheap brass would have met the performance fate of the steel; the guns would have failed horribly. The opinion I've arrived at with the ammo market being what it is :

- your carbine should function with whatever ammo you can afford and find available. Gone are the days of being picky.

I have an 816A2 Piston just for this reason; it will run everything nearly on earth that is .223 or 5.56.

So, while I'm not thrilled with over-gassing, more so on the BCM 11.5, I saw the merit of it more clearly after using the BRT tubes. If you live in a harsh environment and are an intermittent suppressor user, err on the side of over-gassed over the ragged edge of reliability.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Something’s wrong here. I’ve used these fairly extensively and find that BRT’s choice usually errs on the side of function. I’ve also used those specific barrel lengths with smaller port tubes, as have a few of my friends, and (off the top of my head) those should work with brass cased ammo unsuppressed.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Agreed. Ammo used was PPU 5.56 M193, XTAC 5.56, Wolf Gold, Maxx Steel and Tula.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I bought one for a 16” mid length that I specced for 50/50 suppressed and non suppressed use. It would short stroke and FTE without the can, so I contacted BRT about it. In a nutshell they told me something was wrong with my rifle. I installed a regular gas tube, and it ran fine after that. Not sure I’ll ever buy one again. I haven’t written BRT off as a company, as I have ordered other products from them since.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    One factor that may be coming into play is how well lubed or dirty the gun is. I have an older 308 build (2012) with an SLR adjustable gas block. I learned that the gas block could be closed several clicks (don't remember exactly now) when I used a NiB (yeah I know) BCG and an extremely slick mixture of Tetra and Slip2000 lubes. I've noticed a similar change in other rifles since then when using that lube mixture.

As to BRT, amongst several of their products, I also have one of their gas block inserts from a few years ago. I purposely ordered it 2 sizes smaller than what Clint recommended, and I bought the next 2 sizes drill bits. I was actually able to get the rifle to cycle with full bore 5.56 using the insert I ordered, but decided to drill one size larger to be able to cycle Russian steel, in order to give myself some leeway. Still nervous about that particular BCM being potentially undergassed to this day. Though I've never had an issue with it.

ETA: Forgot to add that once you've eliminated any potential issues with the rifle, you can always drill the port in the gas tube one size larger.
    Last edited by georgeib; 09-15-22 at 08:04.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Something’s wrong here.
    Agreed.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrin View Post
    Both carbines have newish gas rings and are PM'd respective to their round counts (BCM 4008, Armalie 1968). I was sent a .0635 for the Armalite and a .071 for the 11.5.
    Are you able to pin-gauge those tubes to confirm the sizes?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    There labeled as such from BRT, so I haven’t.
    Use drill bits right?

Clean? Both carbines are well maintained.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    There labeled as such from BRT, so I haven’t.
    Use drill bits right?
    No, actual pin gauges. I don't have a set either. Unlikely they are mislabeled but I thought it was worth checking if you had the tools already.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    /your carbine should function with whatever ammo you can afford and find available. Gone are the days of being picky..
    Actually no. The ammo is one of the most important parts of the reliability puzzle and should be the first consideration when approaching a build.

Standardize on quality 5.56 ammo and then build quality guns ported to run 5.56 ammo.

Garbage ammo and garbage barrels don’t get fixed with a gas tube.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast