Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My experience w/ BRT EZ-Tune gas tubes...

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    If you need an AR to function with that wide a range of ammunition and temperature but are unwilling to run it overgassed, you need an adjustable gas block.

Andy

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    iF iT wOn'T rUn sTeEl iT dOn'T dEsErvE bRaSs

I don't get why dudes think this is important. Stock up on quality 5.56 and shoot a properly gassed rifle.

bUt wHaT iF aMmO bEcOmEs sCaRcE

Yeah, like brass ammo is gonna dry up but you'll be tripping over boxes of Tula everywhere you look. Here's a hint, when ammo gets scarce, it all gets scarce. Stock up on the good stuff and live your life.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    iF iT wOn'T rUn sTeEl iT dOn'T dEsErvE bRaSs

I don't get why dudes think this is important. Stock up on quality 5.56 and shoot a properly gassed rifle.

bUt wHaT iF aMmO bEcOmEs sCaRcE

Yeah, like brass ammo is gonna dry up but you'll be tripping over boxes of Tula everywhere you look. Here's a hint, when ammo gets scarce, it all gets scarce. Stock up on the good stuff and live your life.
    The pipe hitters think that when the SHTF that they are going to kill The Poors and take their Tula ammunition.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    I installed a BRT EZ-tune gas tube on a badly over-gassed larue 16" mid-length barrel. It worked as advertised and I had zero failures to lock-back with a variety of quality brass-cased ammunition. I haven't done any statistically significant testing to determine if the EZ-tune gas tubes have any effect on accuracy/precision.

The larue barrel has a gas port diameter of 0.082". The BRT EZ-tune gas tube that I used is supposed to create the equivalent gas-drive of a 0.073" gas port.

Last edited by Molon; 09-19-22 at 17:48.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    I installed a BRT EZ-tune gas tube on a badly over-gassed larue 16" mid-length barrel. It worked as advertised and I had zero failures to lock-back with a variety of quality brass-cased ammunition. I haven't done any statistically significant testing to determine if the EZ-tune gas tubes have any effect on accuracy/precision.

The larue barrel has a gas port diameter of 0.82". The BRT EZ-tune gas tube that I used is supposed to create the equivalent gas-drive of a 0.73" gas port.

I just got a larue barrel and its occassionally looking like a short stroke and sometimes failure to lock back on a standard carbine spring or buffer. Brass is impacting the deflector and landing 3-4 oclock. Any chance its actually over-gassed?

Im shooting 69gr @ 2790fps

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I've had great luck with BRT EZ-Tune gas tubes, and before that, gas port inserts. I wish I had an ample supply on hand for conducting experiments.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Actually no. The ammo is one of the most important parts of the reliability puzzle and should be the first consideration when approaching a build.

Standardize on quality 5.56 ammo and then build quality guns ported to run 5.56 ammo.

Garbage ammo and garbage barrels don’t get fixed with a gas tube.
    Completely disagree. And, contrary to your point, I ordered tubes that are supposed to allow you to use steel.

Maybe you're not a poor. I'm on a State income, and you, and others with similar opinion, know what that market price is for quality 5.56.

I accepted and opined to BRT that a properly gassed rifle for my requirements in the environment I live may have been asking too much.
    Really it's not even a 'may' at this point, it is.

If I want to train year round, I have no choice but to run steel. It's not just Tula, any steel. Training trumps a properly gassed carbine and I'd take the Armalite over many others given it's performance.

Another avenue, would be a piston AR, rather than a properly gassed DI that cannot meet the requirements. That said, the BCM is getting moved on in favor of the 816 I've acquired (review to follow). So far, so good. We'll see what winter holds.

*BRT is sending adjusted tubes for me to try and reflects well on them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I just got a larue barrel and its occassionally looking like a short stroke and sometimes failure to lock back on a standard carbine spring or buffer. Brass is impacting the deflector and landing 3-4 oclock. Any chance its actually over-gassed?

Im shooting 69gr @ 2790fps
    Barrel length?

I'm glad you quoted my post. I just noticed my typos on the gas port diameters, which have been corrected.
    Last edited by Molon; 09-19-22 at 17:51.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Faxon mid gas barrel I had with a 0.081" gas port locked back with an A5H4 buffer.
    Got a BRT tube sized for an A5H2 and calmed it right down.

Sold that off to a buddy and told him to run full power ammo with it.
    Of course the first ammo he gets is Tula and it's just a single shot.
    Gave him a carbine spring and buffer with a spacer to try out with the steel cased ammo, should work now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    Barrel length?

I'm glad you quoted my post. I just noticed my typos on the gas port diameters, which have been corrected.
    16". I didnt even notice the typos, haha.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast