Thread: How come ammo makers don't load more lead and coated lead bullets?

Feedback Score

How come ammo makers don't load more lead and coated lead bullets?

I don't care for plated bullets. (Accuracy issues)

Most of the cheaper ammo, especially 9x19, uses them. Lead and coated lead bullets are often the same or cheaper than plated bullets, as a component.

So why don't I see nice lead or powder coated lead 147 gr new or reloaded ammo for sale?

Yes I reload my own but it goes fast and I wish I could buy some.

147 gr FMJ is pretty expensive.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    So why don't I see nice lead or powder coated lead 147 gr new or reloaded ammo for sale?
    Simple demand. Most guys prefer a plated bullet for blaster/practice ammo. I know I wouldn't even look at non-jacket or plated bullets.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Hell, I don’t shoot anything but JHP handloads in pistols.
    The one exception is hunting revolvers, I use cast lead, gas check bullets.
    Guess we all have our cross to bear.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I know I wouldn't even look at non-jacket or plated bullets.
    You wouldn't shoot Federal Syntech Action Pistol? Why?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    You wouldn't shoot Federal Syntech Action Pistol? Why?
    I tried some of that. Was kinda sloppy. Looked it up and found it was a common issue.

Apparently Federal uses a crimp die at the end of the loading process and it distorts bullets, decreasing accuracy.

I forget what weight of the stuff I have tried but it's purple.

While I'm pretty sure I see accuracy decreases with plated bullets and syntech it shows up more with PCC's.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Because eco-tards would throw bigger hissyfits than they already do over firearms?!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I suspect that its because most people that are into coated bullets have a Dillon or a Mk7 and are loading 10s of thousands a year.

I like them.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I suspect that its because most people that are into coated bullets have a Dillon or a Mk7 and are loading 10s of thousands a year.

I like them.
    Yea, well...I guess I'm at the point I need to decide how much 9mm I plan to shoot in my remaining life and buy enough or buy a faster reloading rig.

I lean towards just buying the ammo. I have alot, but not alot in every caliber.

I've enough .25 & .32, I reload all my revolver cartridges (.32 mag, .44 Russian, .38 Colt Short +p, .38 Special, .357 mag) and .45 acp and enjoy it, but if I'm going to continue shooting .380 I need to buy more and I know i need more 9x19 (124-147 gr) to be "comfortable".
    Last edited by Ron3; 09-16-22 at 07:14.