Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you id this M-4 upper forge mark for me?

Feedback Score

Can you id this M-4 upper forge mark for me?

Hi,
    I am in the process of building a MK12 Mod1 clone and purchased this used vintage upper from Gun Broker. I thoroughly checked it up close and feel it is authentic. I was told what date it is from but want to make sure it is not a reproduction. I found one just like it from this site, so I feel better, but the seller would not trade with me when I asked to swap with another of his auctions. This is my first post, so not sure if I'm posting in the correct forum, so forgive me if I'm not. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Anchor Harvey.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I could be wrong but I do not think that would be accurate for a MK12 Mod1 clone.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    DuckDuckGo is your friend.

A (Splintered) = Anchor Harvey Aluminum
    AF = Alcoa Forge
    C AF = Colt Alco Forge
    C MB = Colt / Mueller Brass
    Cardinal (Stylized) = Cardinal Forge
    CH = Colt Harvey Aluminum
    Circle/Crosshairs w/ “AR” = ArmaLite
    CK = Colt / Kaiser Aluminum
    CM = Colt / Martin Marietta
    D (Stylized) = Diemaco
    DK = Diemaco / Kaiser Aluminum
    E = Emco
    EK = EMCO / Kaiser
    E MB = EMCO / Mueller Brass
    F Keyhole = FNMI / Cerro Forge
    FA = FNMI / Anchor Harvey
    FK = FNMI / Kaiser Aluminum
    FM = FN/Martin Marietta
    FMB = FNMI / Mueller Brass
    Keyhole = Cerro Forge
    L = Lewis Machine & Tool
    LK = LAR / Kaiser Aluminum
    LM = LAR / Martin Marietta
    M (Under Diamond) = Mueller Industries
    PA = Capco / Anchor Harvey
    PM = Capco / Martin Marietta
    Square = Brass Aluminum Forging Enterprises

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    I could be wrong but I do not think that would be accurate for a MK12 Mod1 clone.
    The seller said that he personally removed the upper from a rifle with a date code of 2003, and the spec for the MK12 Mod 1 says ( [B]Colt AF or Keyhole, potentially others.. From: https://clonerifles.com/mk12mod1/). I figure that the 2003 upper puts it in the early years of the Mod 1 and looks a little different than everyone else's. If it's wrong, then I just need to be sure. But I know that this is not the forum to discuss it. I just was not too sure the authenticity of the upper. I did see one like it from this site, but the "C" looks a little weak, like the strike was light. I guess that could happen.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by azpaleo View Post
    The seller said that he personally removed the upper from a rifle with a date code of 2003, and the spec for the MK12 Mod 1 says ( [B]Colt AF or Keyhole, potentially others.. From: https://clonerifles.com/mk12mod1/). I figure that the 2003 upper puts it in the early years of the Mod 1 and looks a little different than everyone else's. If it's wrong, then I just need to be sure. But I know that this is not the forum to discuss it. I just was not too sure the authenticity of the upper. I did see one like it from this site, but the "C" looks a little weak, like the strike was light. I guess that could happen.
    If I remember correctly, MK12 uppers were either Colt or Armalite depending on what they had available. Colt used and continues to use multiple suppliers for their forgings, so who knows how many different forge marks were used back then. Just build your rifle and enjoy it. Anybody who gives you grief over forge marks is a douchebag that you don’t need in your life anyway.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    C signifies Colt and in 2003 they were not using AH. It should be keyhole for a 2003 Colt. C should also be upraised within the forging. I think you have been had...If you look at your receiver the C has been stamped post anodizing.

This is a real Colt Anchor Harvey. Sorry OP

Last edited by Stopsign32v; 09-16-22 at 18:33.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    C signifies Colt and in 2003 they were not using AH. It should be keyhole for a 2003 Colt. C should also be upraised within the forging. I think you have been had...If you look at your receiver the C has been stamped post anodizing.

This is a real Colt Anchor Harvey. Sorry OP

Yeah. It is hard to see, but it is upraised, it's just that it is a light strike. The seller had another one with the same marking, but the "C" was just like yours. I took both photos of the listings and overlaid them in Photoshop. They are a 100% match. Also, I found another M4Carbine posters photo on this site with a complete rifle and this exact forging that also matched up 100% to mine. I'll have to upload it tomorrow as I have met my quota? for the day. I am so new to this, I guess I have to wait to re-send new photos. Also, I tested the forge marks with acetone and a Q-tip and a steel dental pick. It's aluminum raised and part of the upper. There is a lot of carbon soot inside, has M-4 feed ramps, passes the headspace gauges with my BCG and barrel and fits perfectly with my lower. Indirect evidence is in my favor, and he has been in business since 2011 and has over 20 pages of listings right now and 100% A+ feedback this year. Also, the white paint of the T-markings wipes off with a q-tip if you dig in the grooves of the numbers and there is visible white paint residue in the creases of the pic rail lugs. Not to bad mouth him, but I wanted to trade with another upper, but he ignored me and stated that he removed the upper himself and that the barrel had a 2003 stamp on it. I did see other vintage uppers with the same smeared paint residue on the upper rail across the numbers. Disintegrated maybe??? It's not the end of the world and I have learned something from it. I just hope it's real.... Thanks for your insight!!!

Feedback Score
    Also, you have a very nice upper!! Thanks for sharing!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    If I remember correctly, MK12 uppers were either Colt or Armalite depending on what they had available. Colt used and continues to use multiple suppliers for their forgings, so who knows how many different forge marks were used back then. Just build your rifle and enjoy it. Anybody who gives you grief over forge marks is a douchebag that you don’t need in your life anyway.
    Yeah, the Mark 0 uppers used Armalite, Diemaco?? Canada, Colt, . I have an older Armalite upper that the barrel is on right now with the "AR+" forging, but I think that would only work with the Mod 0. I have a complete PRI rifle in tan, which is sweet and I just found out that I think around 2007-2008 they actually started making complete rifles if not the Mod 0 uppers as an addon. I'm just learning this stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast