Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do I want a Benelli M2 or an M4?

Feedback Score
    Went to range with associate who brought along his beratta 1301 tactical 7+1.... have to say it was fun AF to shoot, really fast and nimble even for small stature (5'8 170lbs)
    bloke like myself, if I were in the market for a SG , this would be it !

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I have the 1301 and the M4. I used to have super 90s which I think are kin to the M2. The 1301 is all-around more fun to shoot. The m4 is plainly more solidly built. Almost every part is over-built. The Beretta is smoother in almost every respect, from shooting to trigger and safety feel. But damn the m4 feels like it is indestructible. I honestly never liked my super 90s because they were so ammo sensitive.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleW View Post
    Curious how you went from Benelli M2/M4 to possible Beretta 1301 to the Mossberg.
    Fair question

If I’m going to buy something I will typically buy best in breed. In this case I assumed the Benelli. I have a couple of Mossberg pump guns and knew they make the 930, which didn’t really do it for me.

Now combine the Mossberg I’m already familiar with along with not having to deal with itar nonsense just to add an extension and that made the decision easier.

Bonus for the red dot mount. I don’t really need one (yet lol), but it’s nice to know I can add one easily if necessary.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Please let us know on how it shakes out for you? And maybe an update after 500 rounds or so?

Feedback Score
    I sent my 940 PT back to Mossberg for warranty repair. I was having issues with the magazine capacity not allowing more than 4 shells at a time.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    OP, any update on the gun? How'd it handle in the turkey woods?
    "After extensive research, I picked this rifle because it came with bullets"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It's been a while but I finally got a chance a couple of weeks ago to shoot and compare my Mossberg 940 to a friend's M2 and another friend's Beretta 1301 and here are my impressions. Keep in mind I'm not an operator nor do I claim any real world experience. I'm just a schmo that likes things that go boom...

Before buying the 940 my shotgun collection consisted of a decent over/under, a 20" 590 and a 14" 590A1 SBS. This is my first semiauto.

Both my current Mossberg's have ghost ring sights and I always found them excellent. Quick-pointing and reliable. The 940 does not have the ghost ring sights but has the provision to add a Holosun red dot. I added a HS507k x2. They have since added a model that includes this sight and after shooting it I can understand why but I still have some reservations...

First things first, all three functioned fine so that's a tie between all of them. We went through a few hundred rounds of quality mixed ammo types between the three and not a single issue.

Ergonomics are all pretty much the same with all three but I'll give the Mossberg a slight advantage with the larger loading gate and ridiculously huge bolt release button.

Weight-wise the 940 is the pig of the three. Like a full pound heavier and you can certainly feel it. All of them have basically the weight in the same places; the Mossberg just has more of it. Maybe if I had to carry it all day I would care, but it's a non-issue for me either way. Others may think differently.

Recoil-wise they all felt very similar but we all felt the Mossberg was just slightly softer and smoother. Not a huge difference, but certainly noticeable and appreciated. I'm sure Mossberg will say it's the gas system. Maybe it is. Maybe its the extra weight. Maybe someone with more experience can offer a better comparison on this one.

We did compare maintenance notes and according to Mossberg the cleaning operation for the 940 is much simpler than either the Beretta and M2. That being said I'm notorious for not cleaning my guns, whether simple or complex, so I'll probably just pay my kid a few bucks to clean it.

And the final, most important item to me; the sights. Since I am so familiar with the ghost ring sights on shotguns this was a departure for me. I really, really like the red dot and as I am getting older I am finding them much easier to use and one cannot argue that they are becoming more common. That being said I'm still on the fence on this one and I think I would prefer ghost rings to the red dot just because it's one more potential failure point and truth be told I didn't really feel it added much. I'll keep it as-is but may be interested in replacing the red dot for ghost rings if someone makes a set that attaches to the red dot mount already built into it. It's not a deal-breaker by any means; really just a preference.

If I had to do it all over again I think I would have taken a much closer look at the 1301. It's slightly lighter and already includes the ghost rings sights. However, even today I really can't say that I would have walked out of the store with the 1301 over the 940.

And finally... My 74 year old father was with us. He was the only one with any real world experience, having been in the Israeli military in his youth, and while he did not carry a shotgun he stated he preferred the Mossberg mostly because the red dot was easier on his eyes but if he had to carry any shotgun all day and rarely shoot it he "Doesn't give a shit about brand, recoil or features and would just take the lightest option." Always a joy, that one.

Anyways, these are my total non-pro impressions of the gun. Hope it help someone!
    Last edited by Bluto; 06-19-23 at 12:17.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nice. Thanks for the impression. Sounds like you're pretty well pleased with the 940, which is in line with other things I've read about them.

Just an FYI on the red dot. If it were to fail, the window can still be used as a large ghost ring of sorts, and with just a small bit of familiarization, can be used very effectively without the reticle.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Perhaps I missed it in the thread, but what is the LOP for the 1301T? It's not listed on Beretta's site.
    Here comes the thunder.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The field stock has a LOP of 13 1/8".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast