Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Guns

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Coach Guns

I decided I need a side by side. 18-20 inch barrels. Looking to spend hundreds--not thousands of dollars. I don't mind refinishing wood and breaking out some cold blue

I shot a friend's Stoger. Seems decent.

Should I hunt around for one with exposed hammers, single trigger, double trigger?

Interested in some recommendations from some of our resident expert's.

This will be a fun gun, possible HD gun for wife, kids

This is what got me interested in them:

https://youtu.be/YYk8fez2d0w

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    That video is pretty Darn interesting.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    That video is pretty Darn interesting.

PB
    Agreed....cutting a 7 1/2 shell is like making the mother of all Glaser Safety Slugs

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    What wildman came up with this idea??
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I’d pass on any serious use.

Double triggers and or hammers seems like too big a training problem to me. Unless you wanted to get into those cowboy action shooting games how are you going to perform under pressure?

And that leads us to another problem I found. Single triggers are either inertia reset or mechanical. Mechanical only comes on expensive shotguns, and the inertia reset may not be reliable enough in non standard shooting positions or for someone with poor recoil control.

Ejectors. I’d rather not be fumbling with pulling out spent shells if I had a problem that wasn’t fixed with the first two rounds. Again, only found on the expensive models.

A break down double with a good single trigger and ejectors would make an interesting 50 State travel long gun. But it would cost as much as a good semi and nobody makes it. Maybe someday I’ll find an abused higher end double to cut down, but that’s the only viable option I see.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    I decided I need a side by side. 18-20 inch barrels. Looking to spend hundreds--not thousands of dollars. I don't mind refinishing wood and breaking out some cold blue

I shot a friend's Stoger. Seems decent.

Should I hunt around for one with exposed hammers, single trigger, double trigger?

Interested in some recommendations from some of our resident expert's.

This will be a fun gun, possible HD gun for wife, kids

This is what got me interested in them:

https://youtu.be/YYk8fez2d0w
    I had a Stoeger coach for a while. It did what it was supposed to, and would make a viable HD weapon. The cons are that the wood was cheap, and cheaply fitted, and it turned orange fairly easily. It was a very inexpensive gun, so its hard to complain about that. The CZs seem a little nicer, though. I like double triggers, because I think they are cool. I suspect single triggers are more practical. Same thing about hammers, though I’ve never owned one with them.

I’m not an expert on this topic….I just think doubles are cool.
    Last edited by 1168; 03-20-23 at 11:32.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Unless you wanted to get into those cowboy action shooting games
    Those are shockingly fun, and were the excuse I used to buy that Stoeger SxS.

I’ve read what you are talking about with the single triggers. I’ve always wondered if thats really a thing, or if its largely hypothetical, but own no single-trigger doubles to find out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I wasn’t dismissing the fun of games, just saying I would have a hard time getting enough practice on the olden times controls without it.

I really don’t know how prone to failure the inertia reset trigger is, or how much of it is shotgun snobbery. Supposedly a bit more prone to corrosion or gummed up lube as well.

The closest to what I want is the CZ modern coach with mechanical single trigger and no hammers. No ejectors though. And it’s kinda expensive for Turkish, but at least it’s got a CZ warranty and QC.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I wasn’t dismissing the fun of games, just saying I would have a hard time getting enough practice on the olden times controls without it.
    Nah, I know. Just pointing it out in case someone’s thinking about it.

I really don’t know how prone to failure the inertia reset trigger is, or how much of it is shotgun snobbery. Supposedly a bit more prone to corrosion or gummed up lube as well.

The closest to what I want is the CZ modern coach with mechanical single trigger and no hammers. No ejectors though. And it’s kinda expensive for Turkish, but at least it’s got a CZ warranty and QC.
    “Shotgun Snobbery”…..that’s the phrase I was digging for.

I’ll take a look at that Modern Coach. I’ve been eyballing a CZ straight wrist 20g lately for squirrel-murdering.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Double triggers and or hammers seems like too big a training problem to me. Unless you wanted to get into those cowboy action shooting games how are you going to perform under pressure?
    I agree, but it is still the way I'd go just 'cuz. If I was going to buy a coach gun it would have double trigger and exposed hammers. This is through the lens of a fun gun, if it was a "serious" gun I'd opt different.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast