Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I want a Benelli M2 or an M4?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Do I want a Benelli M2 or an M4?

A previous post on this forum made me realize there is a hole in my collection for a semi auto shotgun and as Benelli seems to be best-in-breed I thought I would get myself one. I just don’t know which model.

I’m not at all concerned with the price difference between the two and in this case I don’t think it matters so much as it seems one isn’t necessarily better than the other, just different.

It may one day be used as a home defense gun so there is that.

I have never shot a semi auto shotgun so can’t figure out if inertia vs gas would be “better” for me. The M2 is slightly lighter, which is nice, but the M2 reportedly has lower recoil.

It also seems that the M4 is better for adding a red dot or similar. I’m currently running ghost rings on my pump gun and find them more than adequate but who knows as my eyes get older.

Both seem to be on the same level of reliability so I think that may be a moot point.

In either case I’m not a fan of pistol grips so just a regular non-telescoping stock would be my ideal choice.

I’m pretty lost in the woods here and would apppreciate some advice…
    Last edited by Bluto; 09-17-22 at 11:37.

Feedback Score
    The M2 is very popular in the 3 Gun community not so much with the M4.

Only bad thing I have to say about the M2 is the LOP is a touch long for me even with the shorter recoil pad and will probably be picking up an Beretta 1301 as its replacement.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    A previous post on this forum made me realize there is a hole in my collection for a semi auto shotgun and as Benelli seems to be best-in-breed I thought I would get myself one. I just don’t know which model.

I’m not at all concerned with the price difference between the two and in this case I don’t think it matters so much as it seems one isn’t necessarily better than the other, just different.

It may one day be used as a home defense gun so there is that.

I have never shot a semi auto shotgun so can’t figure out if inertia vs gas would be “better” for me. The M2 is slightly lighter, which is nice, but the M2 reportedly has lower recoil.

It also seems that the M4 is better for adding a red dot or similar. I’m currently running ghost rings on my pump gun and find them more than adequate but who knows as my eyes get older.

Both seem to be on the same level of reliability so I think that may be a moot point.

In either case I’m not a fan of pistol grips so just a regular non-telescoping stock would be my ideal choice.

I’m pretty lost in the woods here and would apppreciate some advice…
    Is your main purpose home defense? or do you plan to hunt with it? What do you plan to hunt/shoot? ( Waterfowl, upland, squirrel, turkey, sporting clays)
    While I do like Benelli, I have shifted to the Berretta A400 (Gas) and do not plan on going back to inertia again. The M4 is gas, but it is a PIG!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    If trying to fill a shotgun hole I would look at Beretta 1301 or Mossberg 940.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    The M2 is very popular in the 3 Gun community not so much with the M4.

Only bad thing I have to say about the M2 is the LOP is a touch long for me even with the shorter recoil pad and will probably be picking up an Beretta 1301 as its replacement.
    The length of pull was too much for me on my M2. I bought a shorter stock and that solved the issue.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Do you want it to hurt more to shoot or to carry? I find the inertia M2 recoil a bit harsh, and the M4 is noticeably heavy.

I got a 1301, comes with a tactical LOP, lightweight AND softer gas operated, and it eats up light target loads. The 1301 can also be full capacity from the factory and no 922r concern.

The 1301 is worth adding to your list in my opinion, but any of the three are a quality choice.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree the Beretta should be on your list. However, between the M2 and M4 I'd pick the M4 all day every day to fill a hole in a collection.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    If trying to fill a shotgun hole I would look at Beretta 1301 or Mossberg 940.
    I just picked up a 940 pro turkey because of the receiver is milled for a Holosun 507k, and the tang safety that matches up with my other hunting arms. It has an 18.5” barrel and will accept a mag tube extension too. It seems really well made, or your typical Mossberg. It will be used for Turkey and home. I have not sho5 it yet, as I’m waiting on the HS to sight in. It has been getting rave reviews, so hopefully it lives up to them when I shoot it.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    So I checked out the mossberg 940 pro tact and man is it nice. I had no idea it existed! Looks just about perfect and I don’t need to deal with 922r nonsense (thanks for the reminder on 922r Todd).

Now I just need to find one in stock…

Thanks for the help guys!!!
    Last edited by Bluto; 09-18-22 at 18:38.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I bought the M2 and it’s very nice. The M4 is great just heavy and in your case is pistol grip.
    The B 1301 has a great reputation, never shot one. Can’t go wrong with any of the mentions.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast