Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sept 17, 1862. The bloodiest day in American history.

Feedback Score

Sept 17, 1862. The bloodiest day in American history.

The Battle of Antietam Creek/Sharpsburg Maryland. The Army of Northern Virginia went up against the Army of the Potomac.
    22,720 dead, wounded, or missing.
    USA casualties 12,400. 2100 dead, 9550 wounded, 750 missing or captured.
    CSA casualties 10,320. 1550 dead, 7750 wounded, 1020 missing or captured.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Thanks for the reminder of the sacrifice our country gave for the freedom of all men.
    I am deeply indebted
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    ~2,500 US troops were KIA on D-Day. Antietam outdoes that by over 1,100 (I count the CSA troops as Americans also, as they were). No doubt that the [un]Civil War was a meat-grinder. At Cold Harbor in 1864 the US Army lost around 1,800 KIA in one hour. One friggin' hour...... [just did the math and that's like 30 per minute killed that's fvcked up]
    Last edited by ABNAK; 09-17-22 at 20:10.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    Thanks for the reminder of the sacrifice our country gave for the freedom of all men.
    I am deeply indebted
    I guess its been erased from history that 6 Union States and the nations capital, Washington DC, had slavery during the war.
    Why didn't the Yankees free their slaves before invading the South?
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    I guess its been erased from history that 6 Union States and the nations capital, Washington DC, had slavery during the war.
    Haven’t changed much...

Feedback Score
    Simple the war was not about slavery!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What were those states?
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    What were those states?
    The Union States of Maryland, Delaware, Missouri, Kentucky, West Virginia, and New Jersey had slavery during the Civil War.
    But they don't want anyone to know this because it does not fit the Anti-Confederate narrative.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I just got back from doing a living history event at Sharpsburg. We portrayed the Bedford Artillery down to it's original 4 platoons in the battery. One gun was lost previous to the battle, so we had 3 guns with limbers, caissons and a battery wagon all pulled by horse teams. We were privileged to be able to do the event on the actual ground of the Reel family farm they fought on which is in private hands these days. It was the first time that something to this level was done with horse drawn artillery. Sharpsburg is one of the best preserved battlefields in the country at this point. More land is being bought up through the preservation efforts of the American Civil War Battlefield Trust and donated to the park service.
    Repression Is Nine Tenths The Law

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I remember reading that the lead they were using then was softer than what we call lead, Because it was softer the wounds were often more devestating as they were much larger.
    I also remember reading that the North had access to silk, which made stiching a wound closed easier, but that the surgeons had little concept of germs would lick the silk thread before putting it through the eye of the needle. They sewed infrction in to every wound from the germs inside the Doctors mouth.
    The South had little access to silk because of the blockaids, they used horse hair to sew up wounds. They boiled the horse hair to make it supple enough to go through the eye of the needle, no spit required.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast