Thread: Stamp received but no stamp/control number?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Stamp received but no stamp/control number?

I just received my latest approved form 4. I have quite a few of them at this point, all paper and all on a trust.

Every time I received the stamp there was a stamp or control number somewhere on the form. Not this time. Any one else have an approved form 4 without a control number? Was going to call ATF but their hold times lately are ridiculous.

Feedback Score
    If I was going to call, I would have my dealer call and ask.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Is that what they normally write across the stamp?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    UPDATE

I called the ATF and the person I spoke to seemed really surprised. I didn't think this was such a big deal, but apparently he did. He gave me the control number and tole me to write it on the form myself and that they would mail me an amended form. According to him the form needs to match the copy they have on hand. So there it is in case it happens to anyone else.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That's interesting. I probably wouldn't have noticed. It would be classic for their screw up to get you in hot water later down the road though huh?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's interesting. I probably wouldn't have noticed. It would be classic for their screw up to get you in hot water later down the road though huh?
    That is the scary aspect to these things. They goof it and you pay dearly for it.
    Member of the JPFO, NRA, and TSRA!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Is that what they normally write across the stamp?
    Negative. They write the serial number of the item across the stamp. The control number, on my 2 paper form 4 examples, is on the cover sheet from the ATF. AFAIK, the control number is not found anywhere on the form 4, and is simply used as a sequence number. For example, on the 2 paper form 4s I had approved on the same day and by the same examiner, the control numbers are 5 numbers apart.
    Last edited by georgeib; 09-23-22 at 11:32.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Negative. They write the serial number of the item across the stamp. The control number, on my 2 paper form 4 examples, is on the cover sheet from the ATF. AFAIK, the control number is not found anywhere on the form 4, and is simply used as a sequence number. For example, on the 2 paper form 4s I had approved on the same day and by the same examiner, the control numbers are 5 numbers apart.
    Gotcha. That's right... the SN is on the stamp. I haven't looked at my forms in years. If I was missing the control number, I'd never notice.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Gotcha. That's right... the SN is on the stamp. I haven't looked at my forms in years. If I was missing the control number, I'd never notice.
    Okay... I have to correct my last post. Just checked my Eform 4 and the control number is typed in right above the stamp. On the paper form 4s, the stamp looks like it's covering where the control number would be written.

Last edited by georgeib; 09-24-22 at 10:57.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine