Thread: A-2 Buttstock

Feedback Score

A-2 Buttstock

Why is the upper buttstock screw a single use screw according the TM?

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 4.53.43 AM.png
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    The correct “mil-spec” screw comes with a nylok patch that locks the screw in place similar to the effect of loctite. Removing the screw destroys this patch.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleW View Post
    The correct “mil-spec” screw comes with a nylok patch that locks the screw in place similar to the effect of loctite. Removing the screw destroys this patch.
    Ok, thats what I thought.

Thanks!
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleW View Post
    That's correct, but it's not similar to Loctite which sort of sets up like a glue between the threads bonding the parts together in a way. Nylok type patches just act as a vibration dampener. Any and all screws that use a Nyloc type patch are to be treated as one time use items (just like crush washers), but most people don't adhere to this.

Magpul uses these Nylok patches on pretty much every screw they have, but they don't make it super easy to get replacements which is retarded.

To the OP, the best source for replacement A2 stock screws with the red Nylok patch is YHM. Colt's through Brownells are of better quality, but it's hit or miss on if you will get a screw with the Nylok patch and the drain hole through it. And the price difference between the Colt screw and the YHM screw is insane.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 09-20-22 at 15:57.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    That's correct, but it's not similar to Loctite which sort of sets up like a glue between the threads bonding the parts together in a way. Nylok type patches just act as a vibration dampener. Any and all screws that use a Nyloc type patch are to be treated as one time use items (just like crush washers), but most people don't adhere to this.
    All this time I thought the benefit of those was reusability. If it's a one shot deal why not just use Loctite?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    All this time I thought the benefit of those was reusability. If it's a one shot deal why not just use Loctite?
    I actually consider a screw that had Loctite applied to it to be one time use as well. You can clean them up and reuse them again, but it's usually just not worth the time and effort when I have plenty of new ones available. There is always some degree of wear to a once used screw's drive slot anyways and it looks more professional to just use a new screw with a pristine drive slot.

On your own personal stuff you can reuse away depending on your level of perfectionism.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    I actually consider a screw that had Loctite applied to it to be one time use as well. You can clean them up and reuse them again, but it's usually just not worth the time and effort when I have plenty of new ones available. There is always some degree of wear to a once used screw's drive slot anyways and it looks more professional to just use a new screw with a pristine drive slot.

On your own personal stuff you can reuse away depending on your level of perfectionism.
    I have spares and still reused one.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I have spares and still reused one.

Feedback Score
    Those little screws for the butt plate cost about $1.00, it would cost more than that to clean and inspect them in a rework/overhaul facility.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Would Vibratite VC-3 be a suitable replacement?