Thread: Remington 700

Feedback Score

Remington 700

For the better part of my shooting life I did not own a bolt action rifle. That changed in 2019 when I bought this secondhand Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308. I really enjoy this rifle, it’s a very good shooter and great value at this price point.

Early last year I acquired a large stock of NOS ammo which included 2300 rounds of 223 Remington 55 grain Soft Point and a few boxes of Hirtenberg

I tried a few boxes in an AR-15 and in an M16. However the rifles did not seem to like this ammo as it jammed more than I like.

So when an acquaintance wanted to sell his late brother’s Remington 700 VTR in 223 I did not hesitate to buy it from him so I can make good use of this ammo

I am curious to see if it shoots as well as the SPS

The pair

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OLIAR15 View Post
    I tried a few boxes in an AR-15 and in an M16. However the rifles did not seem to like this ammo as it jammed more than I like.
    Yeah. Remington Green box ammo is mediocre at best... in pistol and rifle. I've seen/had issues with both. .223 bolt guns are the funnest. Especially with a good bullet that matches the twist rate well.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    What twist rate is the VTR barrel? Enjoy your new blasters.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    What twist rate is the VTR barrel? Enjoy your new blasters.

PB
    1:9 inches

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OLIAR15 View Post
    1:9 inches
    The 1/9 5R rem 700 we run will shoot 80gr SMKs. You could try some longer bullets if it strikes you.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score

Remington 700

First shots, only 50 meters for now. I adjusted the scope at home by lining up the barrel and crosshairs. When I got to the range I was only abt 6 inches on the right and could adjust in a minimal amount of time with 3 shots

Might need to refine but I was running out of time

Last edited by OLIAR15; 09-26-22 at 04:26.