Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why no 1-10x32(ish) Scope

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Why no 1-10x32(ish) Scope

There must be something I am missing. The optics engineers have definitely cracked the nut on 1-10 LPVOs, but why are they all straight tube?

I get that glass is heavy, but I cannot think of any advantage to a straight tube on an AR other than weight. Lets be honest, most (all?) of the 1-10 scopes are heavy enough to convince me that weight savings are not a high priority.

Why do I ask? Exit pupil. To me, a FFP 1-10x32 or 36 scope would be a no brainer, especially with a nice bright dot instead of a lit reticle. Nice for hunting, nice for Recce, nice for lots of shooting.

Maybe the low light performance is exceptional in the high end LPVOs but I honestly don't understand how.

Andy

P.S. I realize that many of the LPVOs don't have a perfectly straight tube, but they certainly don't have a bell.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-23-22 at 07:19.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    May as well go to a 2.5x10 at that point.
    SWFA has one that's 9.5 oz, not illuminated though.
    My NF weighs twice as much but has a 42mm objective and 30mm tube.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Aren't the low to high power scope magnifications usually in a 1/4 ratio? I would think that a higher ratio, if possible, would be much more expensive to make.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Aren't the low to high power scope magnifications usually in a 1/4 ratio? I would think that a higher ratio, if possible, would be much more expensive to make.
    There are tons of 1/6x scopes (leupold, trijicon, vortex, brownells) and a few 1/8x (NF, swampfox & trijicon) and 1/10x. (USO & trijicon).

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by One More Time View Post
    May as well go to a 2.5x10 at that point.
    SWFA has one that's 9.5 oz, not illuminated though.
    My NF weighs twice as much but has a 42mm objective and 30mm tube.
    I've often contemplated getting the swfa and throwing on a piggyback red dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Atibal makes a 1-10x30 for $800
    Chinesium though.
    Sig also has a 1-10x28 for about $500.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    There must be something I am missing. The optics engineers have definitely cracked the nut on 1-10 LPVOs, but why are they all straight tube?

I get that glass is heavy, but I cannot think of any advantage to a straight tube on an AR other than weight. Lets be honest, most (all?) of the 1-10 scopes are heavy enough to convince me that weight savings are not a high priority.

Why do I ask? Exit pupil. To me, a FFP 1-10x32 or 36 scope would be a no brainer, especially with a nice bright dot instead of a lit reticle. Nice for hunting, nice for Recce, nice for lots of shooting.

Maybe the low light performance is exceptional in the high end LPVOs but I honestly don't understand how.

Andy

P.S. I realize that many of the LPVOs don't have a perfectly straight tube, but they certainly don't have a bell.
    https://youtu.be/9E7W3NbhvIU

OP, here's a great explanation from Ilya Koshkin (aka The Dark Lord of Optics). Basically, a larger objective would result in a larger, heavier scope.

March does makes a 1.5-15x42 which is 21 oz. and 10.5" long (basically the same dimensions of the ATACR 1-8 and Razor Gen III) but it's second focal plane, not first.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    An interesting (1.5 y/o) blog by Ilya: https://palmettostatearmory.com/blog...15-optics.html

Andy

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Not a good idea. You are going to make a 1-10x LPVO weigh as much a MPVO when they are already pushing 21oz + mount, no way Im putting that on top of duty/defense AR. And what do you gain? Alittle more light transmission and maybe more field of view on the top end? Not worth it.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    I've often contemplated getting the swfa and throwing on a piggyback red dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Been thinking of selling my Razor 1-6 and doing the same thing.

Just can't talk myself into it yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast