Thread: Mp5 mags showing rust ?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Mp5 mags showing rust ?

Mods, move this if you wish. Was not sure where to put it.

I am taking out my mp5 tomorrow to bang on it for a minute. We never get rust in AZ, but I must have had this gun out when it was damp last time out.

What is the best way to remove rust so it doesn't come back. I was able to wipe most of it off with just rem wipes to clean them up, but any better feedback appreciated.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Take some really fine grit sandpaper and lightly rub it across the rust spots, wiping any fine dust off as you do so to see if you need to make any more passes.

For prevention, i wipe it down once i get back (sweat, moisture, etc. - I live in MO and the air is usually thick and heavy in the woods during the spring and summer), and keep a dessicant packet in the gun case when I store them.

I don't think mags would be too different as far as rust prevention.

Feedback Score
    I lived in AZ for many years. My steel mags would only rust in the day time or at night. Yeah, not much moisture in the air - but the sweat on your meat hooks gets on everything you touch. Even when the sweat is evaporating so fast you don't feel "sweaty", you are still sweating. Rust sucks.

Feedback Score
    Lowes or auto shops sell rust converter or rust reformer. It works. Knock off the heavy stuff and spray it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I spray any rust spots with penetrating oil, it seems to make things a bit easier.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    gracias amigos

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Google Boeshield T-9. I live on the SE coast and it don't get any worse. It works!

Feedback Score
    I have a few blued firearms, and have used TR3 car wax / cleaner to remove any rust. Great cleaner, not so good as a car wax ... ( Amazon ) I am always surprised how much rusty crud that TR3 cleaner will remove.

I typically then recoat them with a higher quality Car wax. These are hunting rifles, it does help quite a bit, however it does make them shine more.

Come to think of it, I actually have also used it on all my Metalform Colt pattern 9MM PCC mags. Those mags come with some kind of rust preventative / storage coating, so the TR3 cleans / makes function much more slick.

Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 10-07-22 at 14:47.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Hornady One Shot is the best rust preventative, wins every test I've seen online.