Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: State of Shooting

Feedback Score
    1. Shooting the monthly IDPA type match my club puts on. Not to place but to practice shooting, moving, reloading, using barriers etc etc.
    2. Spending time at the range with my 15 year old daughter who has taken an interest in shooting. She loves shooting the Buckmark and my Shadow 2. Teaching her the fundamentals helps me remember my own

Shooting my ARs has taken a backseat right now. Mostly because of #2 and I'm ok with that. Oh and screw what people on the internet say you SHOULD be doing. That's laughable for so many reasons. Do your own thang.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I worked on a lot of long range over the summer, and pistol. Partly because it’s hot in Florida and I was too lazy to run around and do “tactical” shooting. But I’ve got decent at using a mil reticle, and can sort of call wind. For the fall and winter I want to get better at dynamic movement and practical training, and training in kit.

For pistol, I got my first RDS on a G19 and I am probably one or two training sessions away from carrying one. I feel I made some decent improvements in my draw, first round hit times, splits, and shooting a handgun while moving.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don’t care so much about pistols anymore. My G45 with RDS really lets me get away with a lot.

I have a G34 with FO sights that I sorta putz with but would rather play with my .44s.

Really I am rediscovering lever guns and have found that the Left Coast is way less uptight about Internet Correct rifles. But I genuinely enjoy shooting AR now.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have paired down my AR collection to 3, and am using barrels with smaller gas ports. Triarc for example.

I have 1911s but some will be put out on the market.

I'm probably getting my first Glock soon after 12 years of avoiding them.

With nearly everything going the wrong direction here, I'm focusing on proficiency, reliability and meaningful redundancy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    In the summer heat, I focus on meaningful proficiency shooting with handguns and short range AR shooting. On top of that any optic changes / re-zeros. Fall / Winter / Spring is better for training in my parts.

I've been mostly ARs and Glock for quite awhile. I enjoy having weapons that have plentiful spare parts / etc. I do have others but they don't see much use.

Feedback Score
    My state of shooting has been reduced significantly to a bare minimum collection. I have sold most of my guns and concentrated on simple tools to satisfy most needs. Basically two AR's, one with RDS another w/scope, two G45 w/ RMR, 10/22 takedown, sig p322, S&W 986 9mm revolver. Seven basic firearms, readily available calibers 9mm/5.56/.22lr, which serve 98% of both needs and wants.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Been working on getting RDS proficient with handguns. About 2000 rounds in, it's coming together and I honestly think I won't go back to open sights. Been training without corrective lenses because I figure glasses will be a luxury in the event of a fight.

Have people in my life that are learning - a buddy who I taught to shoot handgun just shot his first steel/USPSA style match and is on fire/excited about the match experience. Adrenalin just makes things fun.

Two of my boys have tags this fall been working with them to tune up (they are adults and I can outshoot at least one of them). Good to see your kids get better at it than you. Oh yeah blasted a bunch of doves during the season opener and had a couple really good meals with the results.

My wife has recently awakened to CCW as a personal mission. She's frequenting the well armed woman website. Took training together and sharing experience when she asks.

Been on a suppressor tear also. Working up my latest long range suppressed bolt accuracy/hunting rig.

Playing around with LPVO's on the AR's.

Finally been shooting with the local 1911 nutballs every couple of months. About a dozen guys get together and shoot then go BS over beers.

Have a goal of reducing my gun inventory a bit. Boy is selling way less fun that buying. Been ghosted, lowballed, and met a few normals.

Gotta say that introducing/shooting and socializing with friends and family around shooting is increasingly satisfying to me.
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 09-24-22 at 17:26.

Feedback Score
    What a great idea for a thread, thanks @Firefly.

My name of the game has been getting back to basics and diversifying, with Covid shutting things down I started to 1) realize that people are much more ready to surrender freedom then I initially thought, and 2) that I need increase my capability. 3 ARs with 16" barrels and 3 Aimpoints are great but are redundant, I started looking into different optics setups that give me a broader capability, different lights and "investing" in more verity of gear. I've taken a lot of Pistol/ Rifle 1 through 3 classes but I need to start looking at specialty training, if I can find more money and time I would love to do a DARC Tusc course, or get a little more into patrolling as I now live in the middle of a corn field. Otherwise I have been going back to basics with fitness, I lifted a lot the last few years, and now that my dog is over one I've been strapping a pack on and going for 5-8 miles, its amazing how my waistline can shrink when I am not just focused on chest, back, shoulders and squats, and am putting in cardio with a 30lb pack.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    I really enjoy shooting my AR’s, but lately with ammo prices being what they are I shoot more pistol. Specifically more long distance pistol shooting. In the 35-50 yard and 50+ yards when I can. I really enjoy my gen 5 Glock 17. I recently jumped into the rds club and purchased a MOS Glock 45. The Glock 45 shoots well enough but it made me appreciate the Glock 17 with Surefire light to weigh it down in the front as a really smooth shooting pistol. Definitely one of the best pistol duty combinations ever. I picked up a Steiner MPS because I couldn’t get my hands on an Acro and then low and behold I’m able to source two Acro’s in the same week so I bought them both, go figure. But so far I’m liking the Steiner.

Like some others mentioned, getting a collection of AR’s was important. I’ve acquired nearly one of every barrel length. But when I grab a rifle, I always seem to pick up my DD 11.5 with SOCOM RC2. It has an Aimpoint T-2 on it with a 5x magnifier. I just really like how it handles and shoots. Very much the do it all package.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Latest kick for me is subsonic 22lr at 100yds suppressed in a bolt gun. No recoil, no noise, no muffs, no running around. Just click, ding or click watch the holes in paper.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast