Thread: Linear compensators - your experience

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Linear compensators - your experience

What have you used? What effect did it have in recoil and sound (for you)? Effect on sound heard by others? Experience firing indoors? Calibers used and difference?

There are a number of options, though BRT’s Covert Comp seems like an easy choice. Obviously rifle use is primary Q, but…also wondering what would happen if on a 9MM pistol indoors…
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    What have you used? What effect did it have in recoil and sound (for you)? Effect on sound heard by others? Experience firing indoors? Calibers used and difference?

There are a number of options, though BRT’s Covert Comp seems like an easy choice. Obviously rifle use is primary Q, but…also wondering what would happen if on a 9MM pistol indoors…
    I have a Covert Comp that was first mounted on a 20" 5.56 and is currently mounted on an 11.3" 5.56. No detectable effect on recoil vs an A2 FH and IMHO no difference on sound level at the shooter. Significant reduction in blast next to the gun, at least outdoors. It was installed on the 20" gun to make it more pleasant to be next to at the range or hunting and moved to the 11.3" for range use. I have not fired either barrel length indoors or the 11.3" with any other MD.

If the shooter/muzzle is next to an obstacle, less blast is reflected to the shooter.

I have the smallest Kac flash can on my 11" 9mm AR. I think it reduces blast to the side and flash at the shooter but have never fired it with any other MD so it is hard to say. An 11" 9mm is nothing like a similar length 5.56 of course. It must be doing something for flash because it will get carbon buildup with some ammo.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-25-22 at 07:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had a KVP one on my 8" 9mm AR, regular and long one.
    I shot it quite a bit at the 25 yd indoor range with all kinds of ammo.

Seemed to work well but it is a 9mm so not real blasty to begin with.
    Not bad inside with walls close by, .357 Sig sucks ass though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Own a Kaw Valley Precision unit. Works well for what it is. The recoil is more balanced than an A2, with a pleasant rearward shove. Flash suppression is on par with an A2 as far as I can tell, and sound/blast is definitely better.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Had an EFAB from Precision Armament on a 11.5. Hybrid device, so it tamed muzzle rise well and flash was similar to an A2. Definitely louder, even tho youtube videos will say otherwise. Currently, I've settled on YHM Phantom's for my go too.

Feedback Score
    Levang Linear comp on a 16" HBAR upper.
    Muzzle rise was noticeably reduced, no change to felt recoil.
    No noticeable change in noice/ concussion, but that might be different on a 10" upper.
    Very heavy for a muzzle device, I'm talkin' JP Tank brake heavy, and I had one of those too. That weight also had to be a factor in reducing muzzle rise.

Feedback Score
    I've run a couple flash cans (not sure they are fully considered a "linear comp", but similar function i guess). I've run Noveske Pig and KAK on short barreled weapons, and have one on my 10.5" truck gun.

From my experience, at least on a short barreled rifle, there is a definite decrease in felt muzzle blast and noise for the shooter (haven't actually measured decibels though). I haven't noticed a reduction in felt recoil compared to an A2, and there seems to be a slight reduction in muzzle rise, mainly due to the weight of the device i would assume.

But in terms of directing the blast and a little bit of the sound forward, they seem to work. I like one on my truck gun to reduce side blast in case i ever have to shoot from inside a vehicle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Two KVP. Appear well made. One on a basic 5.56 carbine. No difference from A2/A1 flash hider. The other on a 15-22. Slightly noticeable lesser decibels. KAK on a 5.56 pistol. Same deal as carbine.