Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Special Operation Unit test pistol

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    "Here is a pistol we made for the secret dudes - no idea if they ever used it and I got it back."

I'm sure someone will buy the story and all that.

Just another Springer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    You don't?
    No I don't. The letter has obvious misspellings and incorrect punctuation in it, and the signature doesn't look like pen ink to me. I would feel better if a picture of Ken holding the pistol, with the serial number clearly shown, were included with the other pictures. Buy the gun, not the story.

From this website: https://www.1911fanatics.com/threads...ber-prefix.41/
    If you are looking for a Springfield Armory piece made from the Illinois factory look for a serial number consisting of the following:
    LW
    EMP
    TGO-2
    TGO-3

"If it's a true Springfield Armory Custom Shop piece it will have this in the serial number:
    CRG
    FBI
    DEA
    TGO-1"

The pistol in the listing doesn't have any of the above.
    Last edited by TexHill; 09-26-22 at 18:16.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DirectTo View Post
    No doubt it'll fetch a pretty penny.
    If you fluff the auction description enough on Gunbroker you could sell a used tampon for a pretty penny.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I love doing stuff like this. Ok here is my list of things that jump out to me...

1) Serial number font area jumps out at me. It looks laser etching which was not being done at Springfield in the 90's.
    2) Serial number font does not appear the same as the same serial number grouping from Springfield.

vs

3) The firearm has been refinished but not parkerized like was done in the late 90's. In fact this looks like a much more modern type finish.
    4) I also do not think the signature is a live signature. The fact that a nice looking pen just sitting there seems just strange as well.

So chalk me up too on the side that doesn't thinks this is legit.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just hope he’s healthy and not selling off to fund some personal crisis.

I’ve always liked him.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I just hope he’s healthy and not selling off to fund some personal crisis.

I’ve always liked him.
    Ken is very much alive and well but getting old. A wise man that sell his guns while he's healthy and can dictate how much the prices are instead of relying on an estate sale after he's long gone. They filmed this video over the summer. I spoke to Ken last week and he's as feisty as ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83qkLvUZV2o

The Springfield is his, I've never asked how those letters are composed, produced, signed, etc. The gun is not my style so I'm not interested in it, Ken's or not.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The Springfield is his, I've never asked how those letters are composed, produced, signed, etc.
    Could you ask him how legit this all is?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Ken is very much alive and well but getting old. A wise man that sell his guns while he's healthy and can dictate how much the prices are instead of relying on an estate sale after he's long gone. They filmed this video over the summer. I spoke to Ken last week and he's as feisty as ever.

The Springfield is his, I've never asked how those letters are composed, produced, signed, etc. The gun is not my style so I'm not interested in it, Ken's or not.
    As we all start to getting older you can appreciate thinning the herd. I have so much guns AND SHIT that I will need to sell. Time will tell, I'm sure he is fine financially, but I can see thinning the herd.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thank-you. Good to know, he seems like a genuine, solid and nice dude.

Sounds like he has a good plan and is executing. I hope I have the same foresight.

Feedback Score
    If I remember correctly I saw a discussion between Ken and Larry so I think it might be legit.

I would rather pick up a Caspian that was in fact used by an operator . I know several guys that carried them and when given the chance they either bought them or were given them. One of those would be cool.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast