Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger precision rimfire

Feedback Score

Ruger precision rimfire

A shooting buddy bought one last year and insisted I take it with me for a few days to try it. I did and enjoyed it. This year another 2 shooting buddies bought one. Now call me a fashion victim.

I saw one for sale used but almost new already geared up (scope, rings, bipod), but couldn’t agree on a price with the seller. His argument was that he needed that sum to buy the next toy, which is a silly argument to me since his needs do not dictate second hand market value.

I called the local dealer and he had exactly one left NIB, and it was discounted too. Ordered a Viper Diamondback 4-12 and a M-lok adapter. Checked my parts box for rings and a bipod.

50 shots at 50 meters in abt 10 minutes

A fun toy for sure

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have been considering buying the same rifle. What ammunition shoots the best groups out of your RPR Rimfire?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I have been considering buying the same rifle. What ammunition shoots the best groups out of your RPR Rimfire?
    So far I used Eley Force HV, .42 gr bullet at 1250 fps, works great in my .22 rifles and is accurate for the (cheap) price of $88 / 1000 rds

I also shot some RWS SV with a silencer, but the impact point is quite different so you need to readjust the scope setting

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Channeling Dr Zira from Planet of the Apes - All right, but its so damned ugly.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The .22 bolt gun rabbit hole has been calling my name recently.

Can you guys educate me on something? Looking at CZ's 457, some of the models are available with 24" barrels or 16". What are the pros/cons of the longer barrel over the 16?
    "Think you used enough dynamite there Butch?"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have a Savage and a Anschutz but the Bergara 22 looks very appealing. Add that one to your list of look see's. I hear good things about the CZ too. Ive never shot it though.

Oliar that Ruger should be big fun amigo.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hersh View Post
    The .22 bolt gun rabbit hole has been calling my name recently.

Can you guys educate me on something? Looking at CZ's 457, some of the models are available with 24" barrels or 16". What are the pros/cons of the longer barrel over the 16?
    24" Pros - quieter without supressor, "hangs" better and weight lends stability. Longer sight radius if sights are used.
    Cons - longer, may be heavier, possible to "stick" rounds in bore.

16" Pros - more compact/handier, short barrels are theoretically stiffer.
    Cons - louder without supressor, doesn't "hang" as well. Shorter sight radius.

Velocity is a wash, not much gain over 18" with 22 lr. Traditional target guns have long barrels and SV ammo is pleasantly quiet out of them. With the rise in supressor and optic use (and shooting at the range), there is no advantage to long barrelled rimfires.

My 22 LR AR is a 16" gun and its a hoot at the range where I wear ear pro anyway (same with our 18" 10-22s). I have a 24" Iver Johnson boys rifle for plinking without ear pro.

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I have a Savage and a Anschutz but the Bergara 22 looks very appealing. Add that one to your list of look see's. I hear good things about the CZ too. Ive never shot it though.

Oliar that Ruger should be big fun amigo.

PB
    CZ makes good barrels. I have a CZ 452 Lux and it will outshoot my heavy barrel .22 rifles. It is incredibly accurate out to 200 yards with Wolf Match Target 40g RNL.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    24" Pros - quieter without supressor, "hangs" better and weight lends stability. Longer sight radius if sights are used.

16" Pros - more compact/handier, short barrels are theoretically stiffer.
    Cons - louder without supressor, doesn't "hang" as well. Shorter sight radius.

Velocity is a wash, not much gain over 18" with 22 lr. Traditional target guns have long barrels and SV ammo is pleasantly quiet out of them. With the rise in supressor and optic use (and shooting at the range), there is no advantage to long barrelled rimfires.

My 22 LR AR is a 16" gun and its a hoot at the range where I wear ear pro anyway (same with our 18" 10-22s). I have a 24" Iver Johnson boys rifle for plinking without ear pro.

Andy
    That's what I needed to know, thanks!
    "Think you used enough dynamite there Butch?"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    24"
    Uhhhhhh, you’re kidding, right? Well maybe whilst using Aguila ‘quiet’ rounds w/ no powder charge in them, as happened to me with my old vintage Win high Wall with a barrel by Harry Pope.

I’ll just say that with a bevy of Anschultz 54s and the like, Winchester 52s and other target models in various forms, and now with Begaras, CZs and many other rifles of 24” barrels, as the gunsmith for our youth rifle programs … in over 40 years I’ve never seen one 22LR bullet get lodged in a 24” bore.

If it happened to you, I’d blame cheap ammo for the squib …
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast