Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14.5 carbine gas barrel options

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

14.5 carbine gas barrel options

I have an upper that I don't use but I want to use it. It has a nice BCM upper receiver and a now discontinued Geissele [carbine length] handguard. It has a Colt 6720 16" skinny barrel with FSB. I have a lightweight barrel upper that I like so I really have no use for this one. So I want to re-barrel it to something I will use. I already have an upper with a Colt SOCOM profile and another with a Centurion SOCOM HF barrel. Both shoot well and are set up differently. My primary use in match shooting, usually 2 gun, out to 400m plus. Self defense if called upon. I want a place for my Aimpoint Comp M4 with magnifier.
    So it must be:

Carbine gas system [due to existing handguard] and I want it to have a FSB.
    High quality, e.g., Colt, FN, Centurion, BCM etc. I have a Ballistic Advantage barrel that is very accurate but over gassed, I don't want to risk that again.
    Prefer 14.5/14.7

The easy button would be another Colt or Centurion SOCOM, but I'm thinking of maybe a Colt M4 profile. As long as I am capable [and so far I am] I want a high degree of practical accuracy. I can consistently hit from standing, kneeling and prone a full full size IPSC steel and a 2/3 size at 300m with iron sights.

So I am looking for ideas within my parameters and comments on the accuracy of the Colt M4 barrel vs SOCOM profile and my needs.

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I have an upper that I don't use but I want to use it. It has a nice BCM upper receiver and a now discontinued Geissele [carbine length] handguard. It has a Colt 6720 16" skinny barrel with FSB. I have a lightweight barrel upper that I like so I really have no use for this one. So I want to re-barrel it to something I will use. I already have an upper with a Colt SOCOM profile and another with a Centurion SOCOM HF barrel. Both shoot well and are set up differently. My primary use in match shooting, usually 2 gun, out to 400m plus. Self defense if called upon. I want a place for my Aimpoint Comp M4 with magnifier.
    So it must be:

Carbine gas system [due to existing handguard] and I want it to have a FSB.
    High quality, e.g., Colt, FN, Centurion, BCM etc. I have a Ballistic Advantage barrel that is very accurate but over gassed, I don't want to risk that again.
    Prefer 14.5/14.7

The easy button would be another Colt or Centurion SOCOM, but I'm thinking of maybe a Colt M4 profile. As long as I am capable [and so far I am] I want a high degree of practical accuracy. I can consistently hit from standing, kneeling and prone a full full size IPSC steel and a 2/3 size at 300m with iron sights.

So I am looking for ideas within my parameters and comments on the accuracy of the Colt M4 barrel vs SOCOM profile and my needs.

Thank you.
    Are you going to have it pin and welded or is it for an SBR?

If you are going to pin and weld the muzzle device I’d have the 6720 barrel cut to length by the same person who does the pin and weld job.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd probably be looking at the Colt from Brownell's.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Colt Socom barrel is tough to beat. Molon did a thread evaluating the accuracy of one, it was very accurate for a chrome lined barrel and more accurate that the govt. Profile.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I do miss the lighter Govt profile sometimes. I ran a bushmaster for years as my range beater and grew to like it's weight.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I do miss the lighter Govt profile sometimes. I ran a bushmaster for years as my range beater and grew to like it's weight.
    Agreed, and since I'm not defending against attacking hordes, the lighter weight barrels do fine for me. By the time you add a light, front sight, grip, and whatever else, leverage is working pretty hard against you. The weight isn't all about the individual pieces, its about how far out they are and what the leverage is doing if you aren't relying on bone to bone support while shooting. bracing a rifle to make shots while muscling the weapon is a hard way to do business.

Obviously there is a time and place for everything, and fat barreled beasts are great at bench work. I carried a Colt 6721 as my duty weapon for years, and when I finally swapped it out for a M4 barrel, it was a welcome change.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Just get a Colt M4 barrel. You want something lighter, and you already have two SOCOM barrels.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Just get a Colt M4 barrel. You want something lighter, and you already have two SOCOM barrels.
    This is the way

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    All of my 14.5"/16" barrels with a carbine gas system are Colt, most of my guns are mid-length and not Colt, including those with an FSB.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Unfortunately no one makes 14.5" pencil barrels with carbine gas systems anymore. Green mountain is the only one still has on their website but havent made a run of them in years. You can't pay me to put a SOCOM profile barrel on my gun and gov't profile is just stupid. The only option these days are recontoured gov't profile weighted barrels like N4 light, Hodge or Optimum, I dont think those even come in carbine gas.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast