Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerry M on the Coonan .357 auto pistol

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Jerry M on the Coonan .357 auto pistol

Only two semi auto pistols shooting .357 mag, the Desert Eagle, which is a famous jamomatic toy of little value, and the Coonan. Seems to run ok for Jerry, but I'm curious how they got a rim fire rnd to function reliably in the 1911 platform. Anyone ever shot a Coonan?

- Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    .....shooting .357 mag......I'm curious how they got a rim fire rnd to function reliably in the 1911 platform.....
    Is that what you meant to say?

Edited to add:
    It seemed to run OK for this guy too:
    Last edited by Wildcat; 09-27-22 at 16:33.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is a pistol I wish I hadn't slept on years back.

Feedback Score
    Are they still made?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I used to have a Coonan B. A very fun pistol to shoot. Recoil is no more than a .45ACP 1911 which makes it very manageable and easy to make follow-up shots. It is one pistol I regret selling, but it needed someone who was going to shoot it a lot more than I. I first saw these back in the late 1980s and wanted one. I finally acquired one around 2010 and sold it about 3 years ago. If you can ever get your hands on one, get it.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    Are they still made?
    I didn't know the answer to the question either, so I looked around, and it looks like the answer is no. There are a few available on Gunbroker for around $2900-3600. They appear to be collector pieces at this point.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Perhaps the precedent firearm is the Colt National Match pistol made to chamber a 38-Special. These things were made by Colt on a standard 1911 frame to shoot a very specific type of 38-Special ammo to shoot very tight groups for Bullseye matches.

https://revivaler.com/colt-m1911-gol...ch-38-special/

Assuming that Coonan wanted to take the idea and build it for 357 magnum instead, they needed a new, longer grip frame.
    Colt had established a pretty good magazine design for the 38-spl wadcutter. You can see a close-up photo in the linked article. I resembles an up-sized rimfire magazine in the way it guides and assists in feeding the cartridges into the chamber.
    That mag design also had to be remade to work with 357 length ammunition.

Its interesting that Coonan opted for a different trigger construction also. It may have been easier to prototype than a stirrup design like the normal 1911.

Feedback Score

Jerry M on the Coonan .357 auto pistol

Nice video, thanks for posting it, I always enjoy Jerry Miculek

That one intrigued me when I was young and I lusted for one. They were expensive then and they are even more expensive now here in Switzerland. And I had such a bad experience with the desert eagle that I figured that a rimmed cartridge in a semi auto platform was not a good idea.
    Last edited by OLIAR15; 09-28-22 at 03:53.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Good video, but I'kk stick with my S&W 7/8 bangers. I do love my revolvers though.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Neat gun and idea, but with .38 Super and 10mm available in 1911's, I'm not interested enough to ever get one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast