Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low/no light shooting

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Low/no light shooting

The range I have a membership with has "tactical Tuesdays" where we shoot various scenarios and tonight was low light with shoot/no shoot targets after an entry.
    I've never done anything like this and I know I need to change some gear. My handguard is going to be changed to something that will allow me to mount the pressure pad on the top. I think I want a taller optic mount as well. For some reason my earpro kept getting in the way, and I never noticed that before.
    Anyway, I can't afford night vision, but I'm all ears for suggestions or training tips.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    You talking low light with a rifle or pistol or both?

With a rifle I prefer a pressure pad. I generally shoot my rifle with my support thumb on top of my rail. I have my pressure pad mounted a couple inches behind my front sight so my thumb rests in the gap and only needs to move back a smidge without grossly altering my grip to activate the light. Not a fan of tail cap activated lights as I have to alter my grip more than I want.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Low/no light shooting is a must in my book. These I"ve been playing with NV but before that it was white light all the way.

I also typically prefer a pressure pad at 12 o'clock on my rifles, but I don't altogether trust them and I believe they are a potential failure point so I use Surefire DS00 tailcaps for the backup switch. Call it a love/hate relationship. IMO one of the negative are the cables you need to deal with,
    I'm using a Cloud Defensive LCS to hold the pad of a SF ST07 switch and a combination of FCD and Arson Machine cable guides, here is a thread on them... M-LOK Wire Management

One of the drills we do is work with several black targets, either painted and/or clothed black, and paint cheap dollar tree type guns black and place them on wires hanging from a few of the target. The goal is to ID the armed bad-guys and shoot them and not smoking any of the non-armed good-guys, missing a bad-guy mean your dead. It can be pretty challenging seeing the black pistols against black threats and it requires a top notch light to make it happen reliably. I've been very happy with my Modlite OKW and PLHv2 lights, they blow the doors off my SF dual fuel.

Which handguard do you have that will not allow a pad on top? Most things can be made to work, even the ol' polymer type.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Vaquero View Post
    You talking low light with a rifle or pistol or both?
    We shot both last night. Pistol is VP9 w/holosun and Surefire 300. Carbine is 11.5" with YHM Turbo and Surefire scout.
    Last edited by czgunner; 09-28-22 at 08:42.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Which handguard do you have that will not allow a pad on top? Most things can be made to work, even the ol' polymer type.
    Thanks for the link. The handguard is an ALG, pretty minimal and is pretty small diameter, so mlok nuts hit the gas tube where I would want the pressure pad.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    Thanks for the link. The handguard is an ALG, pretty minimal and is pretty small diameter, so mlok nuts hit the gas tube where I would want the pressure pad.
    You could just use zip ties or OneWrap to keep the tapeswitch in place.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Both low light and shoot/no shoot are two big components that I neglect greatly. Have the pressure switches reached an excellent level of reliability???

My old rule was NO WIRES on my guns.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Both low light and shoot/no shoot are two big components that I neglect greatly. Have the pressure switches reached an excellent level of reliability???

My old rule was NO WIRES on my guns.
    Which is why I use Surefire DS00 tailcaps for the backup switch.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Which is why I use Surefire DS00 tailcaps for the backup switch.
    Those do look nice. I worry about adding multiple switching because my brain can't do two things at once. I'm already in need of practice just running my tailcap switches.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Also, any recs for a taller mount for my Aimpoint Micro H1? It has the OEM throw lever mount with 39mm spacer. It looks like its absolute cowitness with my irons.
    Last edited by czgunner; 09-28-22 at 16:23.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast