Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low/no light shooting

Feedback Score
    Lots of quality lower 1/3 height mounts out there. I have a Geissele and Daniel Defense mounts. Have also used Midwest Industries. All are good. Just depends on whether you want a QD type mount or not.

They make some taller ones these days but any higher than lower 1/3 and your existing iron sights won’t work. You’ll have to buy some offset ones if you want to keep irons sights.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    Also, any recs for a taller mount for my Aimpoint Micro H1? It has the OEM throw lever mount with 39mm spacer. It looks like its absolute cowitness with my irons.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Vaquero View Post
    Lots of quality lower 1/3 height mounts out there. I have a Geissele and Daniel Defense mounts. Have also used Midwest Industries. All are good. Just depends on whether you want a QD type mount or not.

They make some taller ones these days but any higher than lower 1/3 and your existing iron sights won’t work. You’ll have to buy some offset ones if you want to keep irons sights.
    I am moving away from my 1/3 lower mounts in favor of the Unity FAST mount which has a 2.26" optical centerline height and a window with rear sight that allows use of standard height sights, it also come with a front sight post that can be used in lieu of a separate front sight, albeit with a very short sight radius. It comes stock with a torx mounting jaw that is very clean and low profile, but one can add their QD lever option if desired. They are spendy but I can not recommend them enough.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    There are suppose to be 1.93" compatible irons coming from Scalarworks, IIRC, they showed them off at SHOT: https://scalarworks.com/shop/iron-sights/peak-02/

If you want an NV-optimized height mount, the Unity FAST is a decent set-up, while you can save a few bucks and go with the Midwest 2.33" one. ADM has a 2.33" with QD if you want, but it does not have a port for irons. The KAC Skyscraper is also 2.33".

If you just want a taller mount in general, lots of options for 1.93". Scalarworks, Arisaka, Geissele, Reptilia, Spuhr (well, 1.89" on that one), etc. There are also lower 1/3rds that are closer to 1.7", like ADM, LaRue, or Bobro's high mount.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 09-29-22 at 00:45.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    During a Defoor class he had us do low/no light rifle and pistol drills.
    It was really interesting to see how fast the wheels came off - most of us (me most of all) were not sufficiently set up for any of this type of shooting.
    Very sobering, considering how often things go boink at night
    I now try to shoot low/no available light whenever given the chance. I consider it one of the more essential skill sets.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I shot a pistol match last night that we did low light shooting for the first time ever. Was not much to it but was able to use my 226 with X300 for that stage.

I almost signed up for a Frontsight class that was lowlight but never did. I would love to do more training on low light. Ive done jackshit and need it badly. And is probably the situation where I would need to use a gun.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    From the few low/no light classes I’ve taken, I almost feel like I’m faster with my pistol than I am in daylight conditions. I haven’t put it to the test with a timer, so it’s probably all in my head. At 15y and in, my weapon light almost feels like a huge MOA dot on the target. I wouldn’t say it does anything for my accuracy, but the light on the target seems to make things go bang faster. I’m not sure if it’s necessarily a good thing so I hope I never have to try it out for real!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polydeuces View Post
    interesting to see how fast the wheels came off - most of us (me most of all) were not sufficiently set up for any of this type of shooting.
    What were some of the challenges? Equipment? Ability?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    You can dry fire and test all this out every night in the house.

Surefire tape switch has been 100% reliable for me.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Been a 'few' years so let me try n remember.
    All training/classes are/were '9-to-5' so the entire lo/no light spectrum rarely gets addressed, other than "you need to have a good weapon light".

Most of it (especially rifle) was obvious-stupid-basic: insufficient light, not able to see the target.
    Crazy how much light you need to id a target at even 25yds. Not just volume, but focus, if that makes sense.
    Hard to hit anything if you cant see sh#t.....

Also muzzle blast, recall the difference between ammo. That steel case Tula/BrownBear stuff put out these massive flames. It did have an effect on your night vision.
    Reiterating the essence of suppressors if wanting to remain concealed....(alive?)

My main takeaway was to have a bright enough weapon light (be it pistol or rifle) with enough of a focused beam. AND a laser - especially on my pistol, dialed in for whatever max distance is reasonable. AND a laser. With suppressor as cherry on top....

Red dots on pistol is big these days but having tried a few set-ups its not for me, so yeah laser is my go to.
    Another thing I find helpful is large enough sights - tritium suppressor height sights really help, on so many levels. I'm in the process on putting them on every edc pistol i own.
    (But then again I'm getting old and my vision is going down the drain).

I'd love to hear others' experiences.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polydeuces View Post
    Most of it (especially rifle) was obvious-stupid-basic: insufficient light, not able to see the target.
    Crazy how much light you need to id a target at even 25yds. Not just volume, but focus, if that makes sense.
    Hard to hit anything if you cant see sh#t.....
    No doubt. We shoot a night shoot maybe once per year. Amazing how difficult a 100 yard target is to see or hit even with a decent rifle light.

It really becomes a 50 or shorter deal.

Also muzzle blast
    Last time I shot a night class some dude ran a Cav Comp, and it was flashing gloriously.

Red dots on pistol is big these days but having tried a few set-ups its not for me, so yeah laser is my go to.
    Yeah. Red Dots have a long way to go before I'd consider one. I shoot my buddies all the time, but it's not for me... yet.

We shoot low light just enough to realize how ill prepared we are. Another buddy of ours has killer NOD gear, and since he never practices with it, it's a whole learning curve when he brings it out.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast