Thread: First time piston operator

Feedback Score

First time piston operator

Picked up a pws mk111 the other day and it’s my first venture into piston. Anything in particular I need to know about running or properly maintaining
    these things?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJeigh View Post
    Picked up a pws mk111 the other day and it’s my first venture into piston. Anything in particular I need to know about running or properly maintaining
    these things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a Mod2 version of the Mk116. It has been great so far with only about a case of ammo through it. Has eaten everything. Only thing I'd recommend changing is to swap the extractor spring out for a Colt, Sprinco 4 coil, or BCM.

Run the gas on the most restricted setting that will run your ammo.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    You might consider an H3 carbine buffer if you shoot suppressed a lot, very accurate and reliable guns in my experience.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have (sorta) the same gun. I ended up swapping the upper for a DI. Didn’t find any benefit to piston at that length. I still have a 7.5” PWS and in that case the piston does shoot softer than a DI.

Before I swapped out to DI I replaced the buffer for a heavier one. It did make a big difference as I was able to run on a lower gas setting but it really irked me that I had to pay extra for it. They sell them on their site but should really have included it with the rifle.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm interested in the replies here because our buddy bought the Barret Rec7 piston gun and the lack of problems with the gun is blowing me away. So far this thing hangs with DI no problem.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm interested in the replies here because our buddy bought the Barret Rec7 piston gun and the lack of problems with the gun is blowing me away. So far this thing hangs with DI no problem.
    Honestly think you'd be impressed with PWS. They're one of the best kept secrets in the AR world. Accurate, reliable, lightweight (6.5 lbs. for a 16"), and soft shooting.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    I have a Sig 516, so not exactly the same, but there shouldn't be any significant differences in how you run or maintain the gun other than having an op-rod instead of a gas tube. Just do what the manual says and don't overthink it.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Should have also mentioned that I have their MK216 in 308. It wears a surefire socom and is, as the kids say, the bees knees… PWS does make some very awesome stuff…