Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockset removal?

Feedback Score

Rockset removal?

Fire or soak in water? I keep seeing conflicting methods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Soak in boiling water is what I always do. Works fine for me. I use Rocksett as my threadlocker for all things.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 09-28-22 at 13:47.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've always just wire brushed it and wiped it off the threads. It's not very resilient stuff. I've gone completely away from it because the shelf life is too short... even in blister packs. If you keep it for any period of time, it's gummed up or something when you need it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score

Rockset removal?

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've always just wire brushed it and wiped it off the threads. It's not very resilient stuff. I've gone completely away from it because the shelf life is too short... even in blister packs. If you keep it for any period of time, it's gummed up or something when you need it.
    I meant to remove a muzzle device that’s affixed with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    If you want to go the fire method you will need about a 2000F fire which will probably ruin the steel even if it does not melt it completely.

Boiling water is the way to go. Keep the muzzle in a boiling pot of water for 5 or 10 minutes and then try to remove it. It may take a while for the water to penetrate through the threads all the way if a lot of rocksett was used.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I boil a pot of water and stick the muzzle in the water for 1-2 minutes then try try and try again until it pops. Has worked well for me.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJeigh View Post
    I meant to remove a muzzle device that’s affixed with it.
    Gotcha. I've used various lots of Rocksett since the AAC days, and It always just breaks free for me. You can tell the cement is cracking, but it's never been too hard to break.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I had to remove a keymo brake two days back. I used the Vibratite version of rockset called hot lock. I soaked the muzzle device in hot water kept hot by a crock pot. in 45 minutes the muzzle device broke free with ease. It was a pinnable muzzle brake so the pin hole help the water access the muzzle threads. I had more trouble securing the barrel of my 336 than the brake gave me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I put a heat gun to FH that have had Rockset on them.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    It was easier for me to CUT the effing MD off; boiling H2O didn't work, heating MD a no go.
    Never again.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast