Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken Eotech

Feedback Score

Broken Eotech

I apologize up front for the long post. I'm well aware of Eotech's past issues so I'm not trying to start a battle between those who like or dislike their product. I'm simply looking for opinions on what caused the failure, whether it was my fault or would any optic fail under the circumstances I will describe below.

Now let me give a quick background of my gear. I have an Eotech EXPS2 manufactured in 2014 which spent most of its life on a 16" mid-length 5.56 rifle which saw about 2000 rounds of various factory ammo. A few years ago I build a suppressed 16" 300 blackout rifle and put the Eotech on it which saw another 200-300 rounds of subsonic factory ammo. I had a lot of malfunctions with the 16" build so I reused as many parts as possible and built a 10.3" SBR in 300 blackout with the Eotech on top. This build includes a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block and a David Tubb's lightweight flat wire buffer spring and standard carbine buffer. This build has worked great and saw another 400-500 rounds of subsonic factory ammo.

Just last week I took my SBR to the range to tune it to see if it could handle combinations of subsonic/supersonic ammo with and without the suppressor and still function reliably. I shot 20 rounds of subsonic through the suppressor to make sure everything was working fine and then moved on with my testing to include tuning for subsonic ammo unsuppressed. That went fine so my next step was supersonic ammo unsuppressed. I fired about 10 rounds when the reticle of my Eotech suddenly shifted to the far left. I tried to readjust it, but quickly realized that even a light tap on the Eotech would cause the reticle to shift all around. At this point I knew it was broken so I fired another 10-20 rounds to see what else would happen. The piece of glass inside, that I assume projects the reticle, then came completely loose and was floating around between the front and rear lenses. I removed the Eotech and finished up with the iron sights.
    I assume the combination of a lightweight recoil spring and supersonic ammo was the issue even though the recoil didn't seem that much different or should the Eotech have been able to handle the recoil? I did check the buffer and the nylon tip was intact.

I contacted Eotech to see what they would say and didn't expect any type of warranty work because the unit is eight years old. Eotech said they are going to repair the unit and send it back to me. My only expense was the cost of shipping the unit to them. Under the circumstances I though that was more than fair of them.
    I'm still thinking about buying a new optic and was wondering if a red dot or prism optic would be less prone to failure under these conditions. Thanks for your input.

Feedback Score
    That's pretty cool. I have one from 2019. My favorite RDS though I do fear pulling it out of the safe and it just being broken. Mine came with a 10 year warranty (5 year free repair/replacement, 5 years after that, I have to pay a bench fee)..

Sounds like since they separated from L3Harris their customer service is getting even better.

Feedback Score
    I don’t think it was any of your conditions that did it. Something inside failed. Remember, there are Eotechs that ride around in patrol cars 12 hours a day that get banged around and they survive. It wasn’t the conditions.

The only reason to change would be if you don’t like the Eotech reticle and you want a red dot.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    No one of any consequence uses a prism optic. Theyll fix it and it will likely work for a long long time. I agree with El Vaquero about switching to a red dot. I have a repaired 512 that’s been beaten on for 10 years that’s still going.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Out of tens of thousands of samples, some will always fail. Sorry about your luck, but if you get it replaced I wouldn't worry about it. I had a multiple deployment eotech 553 that survived for years of use on rifles and machineguns, and they're still my go to 1x sight today on my personal guns.

Feedback Score
    Call Eotech. I bet they take care of you. Never hurts to try.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    As an owner of an EoTech... I still have NO idea why people run these on work guns. A mailbox on your gun that's not the most reliable option out there? Mine really sits in the safe 99% of the time, but I feel I need to own one for reference.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a 552 on an M4 that sees little use, a 552 on a MP5 military clone that sees decent use, and an EXPS something or other that sits on my MK18 night fighting gun. When I used Eotechs on my Patrol rifle for duty, they went back twice, and each time Eotech was great with customer service. Now my duty stuff wears Aimpoint.

Back to your original question, I doubt it was anything that you did. Regarding what is going to work best, just go with whatever has a solid warranty AND works best for your eye. They are all mechanical and electrical devices, they can fail for odd reasons. Some are just more prone to do it than others.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It sould handle the recoil. .223, 300 blk, suppressed, unsuppressed, lightweight recoil spring, supersonic ammo, subsonic ammo, any optic woth it's salt should be able to handle all those conditions. You didn't do anything wrong. Good that they're fixing it though.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to everyone who replied. When I get it back it's going back on my SBR and to the range to see how it holds up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast