Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Broken Eotech

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I uesd to be an EoTech hater. I saw multiple 512s fail over the years from around 2003 to 2012ish. I did like how the optic worked, but never trusted it.

A couple years ago I started trying out the XPS series and now run one on my duty gun. I haven't seen a XPS series EoTech fail yet. But that doesn't mean they wont.

About 10 years ago i had an ACOG fail on me after sitting in the back seat of my car during a cross country highway drive. I got to my uncles ranch and all of a sudden the ACOG had condensation in it and wouldn't hold zero. A friend Aimpoint H1 recently died and needs to go back. You use your equipment enough and you'll break stuff. Have back ups.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    I got my Eotech back last week and hope to get to the range next week to sight it in since I just got an ammo order delivered today, but I don't know if I even what to shoot the Winchester ammo I bought. I opened two out of five boxes of white box Winchester 300 blackout subsonic and it's by far the worst looking ammo I have ever seen. It looks like it was loaded by someone who never loaded ammo before.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Many companies are skipping the polish and clean look in favor of getting the ammo out the door quicker. Pretty common on the major brands.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    I can live with that, but that isn't the problem. One of the cases has a hexagonal shape at the neck where the bullet is pressed in and it look as if some bullets are pressed into their cases farther than others. I didn't measure any so it could be that the cases were not cut down to a consistent height. Whatever the reason I don't think I will be buying anymore Winchester ammo.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparepartsbuild View Post
    I can live with that, but that isn't the problem. One of the cases has a hexagonal shape at the neck where the bullet is pressed in and it look as if some bullets are pressed into their cases farther than others. I didn't measure any so it could be that the cases were not cut down to a consistent height. Whatever the reason I don't think I will be buying anymore Winchester ammo.
    Yeah that’s no bueno. The quality of new production ammo is definitely not was it was pre pandemic. I’ve noticed some occasional problems with AE pistol ammo at work but they are rare. Never had them before.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Interesting anecdotal info in this thread.

Since quality optics can go down, why do some people seem allergic to backup aiming solutions? Seems like the need to have backup irons or whatever is more likely than being involved in a citizen defensive rifle incident.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    To back up Stickman’s comment…. I had an XPS2 and and XPS2-2 years ago. I sold them off and purchased a T-1. I loved the T-1 but my eyes did not. I bought an H2 in hopes the new glass would help with my astigmatism, but it didn’t. I went back to Eotech because the dot is a dot for me with an Eotech. The Aimpoints are a dash to me (looks like a line from 2 o’clock to 8 o’clock. I could flip my rear iron up and pull the aimpoint back into a dot, but my field of view suffers doing so. My Holosun is a starburst and rides on my MkIV 22/45 lite.

So be sure to go look through one on display before you drop the cash.

Feedback Score
    My first Eotech 552 I bought used in 2006; it was manufactured in February 2004. Never had a problem with it, just changed out the leds in the battery compartment and in the front of the unit. A couple of weeks ago the Eotech finally died on me, so I called Eotech and asked if they could repair it. Eotech told me they could not repair it (2006 was the cutoff date) but told me to send it in and they would give me 50% trade-in value. I sent in and they sent me the coupon for the trade-in; next month I buy another EXPS-3. I got my monies worth on a 18 year old optic

Feedback Score
    I had one on my long time patrol rifle (personally owned Smith M&P...hence my screen name) and one day, shooting it off a picnic table under a range shed it broke. The prism came loose and fell down into the space below the window. EO Tech took care of me (prepaid shipping label, less than 10 days turn around) and I still run it and trust it. A few weeks later, I was eating with one of my deputies who had his cousin with him on a ride-a-long. His cousin was a MEUSOC Marine sergeant with multiple deployments. He was amazed at my story and told me he's never seen an EO Tech broken, and said they ran them on M4s, M240s, etc. Even said he seen an M4 fall from a helicopter as it lifted off from about 70 feet, and the EO Tech survived fine. Just "my luck" I guess...

As a side-rant...anyone seriously training for armed engagement should still train with iron sights at least some of the time anyway, but so many shooters will fold BUIS down for videogame-like ease of shooting with the optic only. My agency I retired from requires 50% of shots on qualification from irons and 50% with the optic. The main instructor for one cool school I went through said he's seen every optic fail AND/OR forgot to be turned on AND/Or have dead batteries. And no-you might not have time to bring the gun down, and then deploy the sights. I DO run permanent co-witness in case of failure of the optic and my personal experience.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123