Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken Eotech

Feedback Score
    I believe an RDS will typically be more rugged than an HWS, simply due to the complexity issue, you can see how an HWS has way more parts involved than an RDS:

That being said, the question of whether or not an HWS is rugged enough is a separate one, and I'd say that yes, a quality HWS is more than duty grade. I would look to switch from an HWS to an RDS based on other considerations rather than raw durability, outside of some extremely niche scenarios.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    No one of any consequence uses a prism optic. Theyll fix it and it will likely work for a long long time. I agree with El Vaquero about switching to a red dot. I have a repaired 512 that’s been beaten on for 10 years that’s still going.
    Uh, what? No one of consequence uses ACOGs? News to me.
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
    Out of tens of thousands of samples, some will always fail. Sorry about your luck, but if you get it replaced I wouldn't worry about it. I had a multiple deployment eotech 553 that survived for years of use on rifles and machineguns, and they're still my go to 1x sight today on my personal guns.

I did a poll on the "other" AR forum regarding Eotech reliability a year or two ago. It was better than a 1/3 failure rate, 100's of responses. Most died in the safe..and I like Eotech. I suppose you could go search there, but I don't frequent much anymore.

I do feel the newer variants have mostly corrected if not completely eliminated pattern failures. It's been quite a while since I've seen a broken Eotech thread, well, before this one.
    Last edited by OutofBatt3ry; 10-01-22 at 11:07.

Feedback Score
    Anyone have experience with Holosun or Vortex products? My SBR will be my home defense rifle and I like reticles like the Eotech which is why I bought it. I kind of like the Holosun AEMS for the technology incorporated into it or the Vortex UH1 because of the reticle and warranty.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparepartsbuild View Post
    Anyone have experience with Holosun or Vortex products? My SBR will be my home defense rifle and I like reticles like the Eotech which is why I bought it. I kind of like the Holosun AEMS for the technology incorporated into it or the Vortex UH1 because of the reticle and warranty.
    Those are all fine but if you’re looking for the most reliable, which it sounds like you might be as it’s for HD, get yourself an Aimpoint and don’t look back. Get yourself a T-2 or PRO if you like the larger objective lens. Excellent quality, ruggedness, and battery life. Now if one of those fail on you than must’ve pissed off some gypsy lady who put a curse on you.

Feedback Score
    Good for you, I had a 512 for like 3 years and it broke on me after a rainy range session, EoTech wouldn't do anything saying that I must of placed it in more than a meter of water, which I did not do. I also had problem with a XPS-2 that I bought second hand off of Armslist, it was horrible with battery life, maybe 2 -3 weeks even after being shut off in my safe, I was the second owner and they said that they wouldn't touch it. Got rid of that a year or so ago, I have the Vortex UH1 (gen2) which I actually like and is crisper dot for me and my astigmatism, better battery life, but fails to an EXPS under night vision and glass clarity. I'm still thinking about getting their Exps3 with their new magnifier for my soon to be "SBR" wink wink.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    The EOTech and it's large FOV and reticle is my favorite. Due to it's size it's easy to pick up fast and the circle/dot draws the eye to the center. That said, the issues with them lead to a distrust. I like Aimpoints, just wish they could have a bigger FOV (as in back by the shooter's eye, not downrange FOV) and a circle/dot like the EOTech.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    I believe an RDS will typically be more rugged than an HWS, simply due to the complexity issue,

Not exactly the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AfUcxM_f2M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-JoHdB3MxI

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OutofBatt3ry View Post
    I did a poll on the "other" AR forum regarding Eotech reliability a year or two ago. It was better than a 1/3 failure rate, 100's of responses. Most died in the safe..and I like Eotech. I suppose you could go search there, but I don't frequent much anymore.
    I wonder how many of those were the 512 series and the "died" ones were due to corrosion of the battery and battery contacts.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    The EOTech and it's large FOV and reticle is my favorite. Due to it's size it's easy to pick up fast and the circle/dot draws the eye to the center. That said, the issues with them lead to a distrust. I like Aimpoints, just wish they could have a bigger FOV (as in back by the shooter's eye, not downrange FOV) and a circle/dot like the EOTech.
    Same. In the mil I used a 556 and I have had a 512 and XPS2. I have not had issues with any, I also prefer the circle-dot. I also have Aimpoints, and my only gripe is my preference of the circle-dot reticle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast