Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: .223 wylde

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    You are still not understanding it.
    It sounds like you are saying don't run hot 5.56 ammo in a Wylde. I've been doing it since the early 90s without any issue and with better accuracy than a 5.56. The Wylde chamber is actually larger than the 5.56. The Wylde works in barrels as short as 10.5" with a carbine gas system shooting everything from m193 to MK262. The "5.56 CLE" is not the same as a Wylde or a 5.56 NATO.
    You said in one post "as chambers get tighter" do chambers shrink when they heat up? Since the 5.56 is already smaller in diameter than a Wylde will that cause issues with the 5.56?

Yes I get that not all reamers are made(ground) exactly the same but they are all designed to median dimensions especially the mil spec 5.56 NATO. They all have tolerances, 5.56 and Wylde and when I say 5.56 here I mean the mil spec 5.56 NATO. Some reamer makers are definitely better than others and I know some are not within spec but that is where the barrel maker comes into play. I'm not going to get into names but some still use HSS reamers and then must sand or hone the chambers to get a decent finish. Several years ago I sent 200 barrels back to a company that many think is a great barrel maker. There is no doubt they used HSS reamers, worn or dull. When ordered they were meant to be my budget line. There are two reamer makers in this country that make carbide reamers, one is apx half the cost of the other, some of us pay the premium for better tooling. I hear Manson(possible 3rd maker) may have started making carbide 223 Wylde or 5.56 reamers but has not branched out to other calibers yet but who knows that was a few years ago.

Anyway as I see it, anything you can shoot in a 5.56 can be shot in a Wylde.
    A screwed up chamber is a screwed up chamber regardless of the name on it.
    Last edited by constructor; 10-04-22 at 00:40. Reason: double neg

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopharted View Post
    so if .223 wylde is suppose to give you the best crossover performance regarding .223 and 5.56 , why is it manufacturers of AR15 rifles simply do not just produce .223 wylde exclusively
    I should have commented here before jumping in the middle. Military and most LE will require the 5.56 chamber and many consumers don't understand the Wylde because they have always heard from a friends cousins uncle Bob not to shoot 5.56 ammo in a 223 and well it is called a "223 Wylde".

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    I should have commented here before jumping in the middle. Military and most LE will require the 5.56 chamber and many consumers don't understand the Wylde because they have always heard from a friends cousins uncle Bob not to shoot 5.56 ammo in a 223 and well it is called a "223 Wylde".
    It takes about 30 seconds of research for someone to figure out that isn’t the case with Wylde.

Kind of amazing to me how lazy people are in the world today.

It ain’t rocket science and makes me wonder how people manage to actually wake up in the morning without directions.

Feedback Score
    It sounds like you are saying don't run hot 5.56 ammo in a Wylde.
    I am going along with what the fine people at CLE say about it:

It is ultimately up to the shooter to determine the suitability of the ammo in a particular firearm.
    There will definitely be signs if things are not playing well together.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    I am going along with what the fine people at CLE say about it:

There will definitely be signs if things are not playing well together.
    Are you talking about this-

"The CLE match chamber is basically the same as a .223 SAAMI spec chamber with a modified lead angle in the throat. The CLE chamber has a 1.5 degree lead angle per side where the .223 is over 3 degrees. This allows for less bullet jump with out of the magazine ammo yet still providing an advantageous lead angle for modern high ballistic coefficient bullets. The Wylde chamber is .002 bigger in the cartridge case area and has a longer throat.

On the average the CLE chamber will shoot 23% smaller groups with out of the magazine ammo. The CLE match chamber will give better barrel life due to the shorter throat and gives slightly higher pressure.

There has been no problem shooting PMC, Lake City and IMI .556 Rounds out of the CLE chamber.

It is ultimately up to the shooter to determine the suitability of the ammo in a particular firearm."

The Remington 223 chamber is not the same as a "223 Wylde"
    Which is not the same as a 5.56 CLE
    which is not the same as a 5.56 NATO

As far as handling pressure they should be rated
    Rem 223-lowest
    5.56 CLE-same freebore length as Rem 223 but relaxed leade angle
    223 Wylde- largest chamber size by a thou or 2 and length to lands .036" longer than the 5.56 CLE
    5.56 NATO-slightly smaller chamber than a 223 Wylde but length to the lands .022" longer than the Wylde.

CLE is saying the 5.56 CLE should shoot all mil spec 5.56 NATO ammo- From my experience it will as will the 223 Wylde.
    The 5.56 CLE chamber will usually produce better accuracy with 77gr ammo like "Razorcore". I've handloaded 62gr greentips and seen decent accuracy but most M855 ammo shoots 1 1/2"-3".
    The only problem with the CLE chamber that I have seen is when someone loaded 69gr SMKs to 2.28", the blunt smk were hitting the lands. The 5.56 CLE chamber can be very accurate but you must be careful about the OAL. Anything loaded to 2.26 is fine but some mags will allow 2.28" and some bullets will be stuffed into the lands at 2.28".
    Last edited by constructor; 10-05-22 at 09:21.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopharted View Post
    so if .223 wylde is suppose to give you the best crossover performance regarding .223 and 5.56 , why is it manufacturers of AR15 rifles simply do not just produce .223 wylde exclusively
    Because in technical terms, 556 nato shoots best from a 556nato cut chamber, 223rem shoots best from a 223rem cut chamber. The Wylde folks can shoot both 556nato and 223rem out of the same barrel, but perhaps a bit less "best" vs the dedicated cut. Yes, 223 can fire out of 556 chamber, but a bit worse than out of the Wylde.

That's the technical definitions of it. How that translates into practical use depends on many factors, like crap barrel and/or chamber, etc. A loose Wylde is likely way wrose than a tight 556, etc. Let's re-phrase that, "A loose [put you word here] is likely way worse than a tight [put your word here]". Like "hot super model", and "fugly". You get the point.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DwayneZ View Post
    Because in technical terms, 556 nato shoots best from a 556nato cut chamber, 223rem shoots best from a 223rem cut chamber. The Wylde folks can shoot both 556nato and 223rem out of the same barrel, but perhaps a bit less "best" vs the dedicated cut. Yes, 223 can fire out of 556 chamber, but a bit worse than out of the Wylde.

That's the technical definitions of it. How that translates into practical use depends on many factors, like crap barrel and/or chamber, etc. A loose Wylde is likely way wrose than a tight 556, etc. Let's re-phrase that, "A loose [put you word here] is likely way worse than a tight [put your word here]". Like "hot super model", and "fugly". You get the point.
    Sorry that is not correct. The Wylde has a bullet diameter freebore which aligns the bullet on the bore better. The brass case does not touch the sides of the chamber because the wylde chamber freebore holds it on the center of the bore. A 5.56 chamber with a loose freebore can allow the whole cartridge to lay low in the chamber and even tilt rear low front high possibly allowing the bullet to engage the lands at an angle.
    Last edited by constructor; 10-05-22 at 11:37.

Feedback Score
    Sorry that is not correct. The Wylde has a bullet diameter freebore which aligns the bullet on the bore better. The brass case does not touch the sides of the chamber because the wylde chamber freebore holds it on the center of the bore. A 5.56 chamber with a loose freebore can allow the whole cartridge to lay low in the chamber and even tilt rear low front high possibly allowing the bullet to engage the lands at an angle.
    Well, you went to the opposite end, "loose 556".

Chamber cutters vary. By standard specs, is a loose Wylde cut still better than a tight 556cut, for shooting 556? I may be wrong, thus asking the question.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DwayneZ View Post
    Well, you went to the opposite end, "loose 556".

Chamber cutters vary. By standard specs, is a loose Wylde cut still better than a tight 556cut, for shooting 556? I may be wrong, thus asking the question.
    I don't mean a loose(larger than the designed size) 5.56 NATO, they are all loose. As far as what makes the chamber accurate the design of the freebore in the 5.56 NATO is loose. .002" larger in diameter than the 223 Wylde. If the reamer for 5.56 NATO was .001" small and the reamer for the 223 Wylde was .001" large they would be the same size but it's crazy to try to assume that would happen and buy a barrel based off of that assumption.

Feedback Score
    Just an opinion- I don't see any reason to buy a Rem 223 chambered barrel unless you are buying a complete bolt action rifle and plan to shoot Rem 223 ammo/light varmint bullets.
    *If your only use will be carbine classes, mag dumps and combat and will never mount a scope (other than a LPVO) or shoot off the bench then a 5.56 NATO will probably work just fine.
    *If you plan to use a scope, shoot off the bench or shoot varmints at longer distances or reload for accuracy then the 223 Wylde may be the choice but, if you want to use factory seconds(bullets that are over .224" diameter or are not perfectly round you may have issues. Oversized bullets may stick in the freebore. It will shoot any 5.56 ammo including MK262 as long as the barrel does not have 6 groove rifling with a 50:50 land to groove ratio or chromelining that has made the bore area small. Same goes for the 5.56 NATO.
    *It's highly unlikely you will find the 5.56 CLE made in large batches, it is more of a custom chamber. I made and sold them for the last 3-4 years but I am retiring. That chamber is good for 62-77gr bullets loaded to mag length.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast