Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .223 wylde

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Solution -

Don't load to or run 'hot' 5.56 pressure level ammo. Stick to .223 pressure levels and there are generally never any issues.
    there is nothing out there pertaining to .223 wylde that eludes to avoid any 5.56 ammo , in fact the whole premise behind .223 wylde is to have a rifle chambered in .223 that can safely run 5.56 , no one has written a article stating to only run particular 5.56 loads , that i am aware of anyway , if so please site your source

running .223 in a 5.56 rifle may be safe ,however performance of the .223 round in a 5.56 is degraded somewhat , not drastically , but more like the rd is not performing at its potential , .223 wylde is suppose to bridge that , correct?

show me a test article that says that 5.56 ammo is limited to lower pressure rds in a wylde barrel
    Last edited by hoopharted; 10-02-22 at 11:29. Reason: added text

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    It would require some research on the part of the shooter. It's safer for the firearm industry to error on the side of caution.
    Last time I tried to shoot 5.56 NATO ammo in a real .223 chamber it was obvious immediately. (no the gun did not explode)

Generally speaking if the ammo is marked 5.56 NATO it is likely 5.56 NATO pressure and if the ammo is marked .223 it is... You get the idea.

Similarly, If loading ones own ammo - You know if your data is for .223 or 5.56 pressure ammo.

The worst case scenario would be a full power 5.56 load, with a long bullet, fired from a brand-new .223 chamber that was cut to tight dimensions, with very little freebore, fired on a hot day, from brass with a lot of neck tension. Such a tight chamber is common on accurized match bolt-action .223 rifles. In such worst case conditions, pressures above 70,000 PSI have been reported. This is close to the proof pressure for .223, so there is potential danger firing 5.56 from a gun with a .223 chamber.

More typically, 5.56 fired from a .223 chamber exhibits classic signs of overpressure, such as excessive brass flow, expanded primer pockets, cracked case necks, stuck cases, hard extraction, and flattened primers. Since not all .223 chambers are the same, some might show overpressure signs with 5.56 while others may not. All these things happen because the brass is indeed no stronger or thicker in 5.56 than it is in .223. It's rated to take the same 55,000 PSI or so, and that's it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopharted View Post
    there is nothing out there pertaining to .223 wylde that eludes to avoid any 5.56 ammo , in fact the whole premise behind .223 wylde is to have a rifle chambered in .223 that can safely run 5.56 , no one has written a article stating to only run particular 5.56 loads , that i am aware of anyway , if so please site your source

running .223 in a 5.56 rifle may be safe ,however performance of the .223 round in a 5.56 is degraded somewhat , not drastically , but more like the rd is not performing at its potential , .223 wylde is suppose to bridge that , correct?

show me a test article that says that 5.56 ammo is limited to lower pressure rds in a wylde barrel
    The chambers are not all exactly the same.

Compass Lake says this:

The CLE match chamber is basically the same as a .223 SAAMI spec chamber with a modified lead angle in the throat. The CLE chamber has a 1.5 degree lead angle per side where the .223 is over 3 degrees. This allows for less bullet jump with out of the magazine ammo yet still providing an advantageous lead angle for modern high ballistic coefficient bullets. The Wylde chamber is .002 bigger in the cartridge case area and has a longer throat.

On the average the CLE chamber will shoot 23% smaller groups with out of the magazine ammo. The CLE match chamber will give better barrel life due to the shorter throat and gives slightly higher pressure.

There has been no problem shooting PMC, Lake City and IMI .556 Rounds out of the CLE chamber.

It is ultimately up to the shooter to determine the suitability of the ammo in a particular firearm.

My experience tells me that as chambers get tighter your gun (and brass) will tell you real fast when you feed it something that is too hot.

performance of the .223 round in a 5.56 is degraded somewhat , not drastically , but...
    Last edited by DG23; 10-03-22 at 22:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Last time I tried to shoot 5.56 NATO ammo in a real .223 chamber it was obvious immediately. (no the gun did not explode)

Generally speaking if the ammo is marked 5.56 NATO it is likely 5.56 NATO pressure and if the ammo is marked .223 it is... You get the idea.

Similarly, If loading ones own ammo - You know if your data is for .223 or 5.56 pressure ammo.
    not talking about 5.56 in a standard .223 , that is common knowledge , my research when deciding what barrel contradicts what the one member said that you can not run the hotter 5.56 in a Wyle barrel , i found no article or evidence to support that or even hint to that in my research , and i do understand there is no one size fits both , that is physically impossible as the two cartridges are in fact different however slight it may be , but my take away from the reading was Wylde found a sweet spot that allowed the best of both worlds

i was not aware that the .223 wylde was not suitable for carbine length rifles , it should not affect me with an 18 inch barrel with rifle length gas

Feedback Score
    This chart shows the differences between the chambers. We have been using the Wylde chamber since the early 90s with every kind of ammo made, 99% has been mil spec 5.56. If you look under the JGS 223 Wylde heading you will see that chamber is the same or larger than a 5.56 in every way except for the freebore diameter which aligns the bullet on the bore better increasing accuracy.Attachment 68973
    Last edited by constructor; 10-02-22 at 14:55.

Feedback Score

i was not aware that the .223 wylde was not suitable for carbine length rifles

FFS.

The 10-shot group pictured below was fired from one of my 16" carbines that has a chrome-lined Criterion Core barrel with a 223 Wylde chamber. The 10-shot group has an extreme spread of 1.09".

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Which is false and which is good? Seems like some guys referenced the guy who came up with the chamber design... I'd assume that would be good info.
    Well for starters, the article that you posted the link to claimed that the 223 Wylde was:

"designed for one thing and one thing only 600 yard 80gr single load"

Even though the 223 Wylde was released in 1984 and the 80 grain SMK wasn't invented until 1992.

Last edited by Molon; 10-02-22 at 18:25.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    This chart shows the differences between the chambers. We have been using the Wylde chamber since the early 90s with every kind of ammo made, 99% has been mil spec 5.56. If you look under the JGS 223 Wylde heading you will see that chamber is the same or larger than a 5.56 in every way except for the freebore diameter which aligns the bullet on the bore better increasing accuracy.Attachment 68973
    thank you

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    FFS.

The 10-shot group pictured below was fired from one of my 16" carbines that has a chrome-lined Criterion Core barrel with a 223 Wylde chamber. The 10-shot group has an extreme spread of 1.09".

thank you , i was going off of what someone earlier posted in the thread with that comment , i researched for about a week on .223 wylde , i chose 18 to gain some muzzle velocitywhile keeping it somewhat under control length wise

Feedback Score
    not talking about 5.56 in a standard .223 , that is common knowledge , my research when deciding what barrel contradicts what the one member said that you can not run the hotter 5.56 in a Wyle barrel , i found no article or evidence to support that or even hint to that in my research , and i do understand there is no one size fits both , that is physically impossible as the two cartridges are in fact different however slight it may be , but my take away from the reading was Wylde found a sweet spot that allowed the best of both worlds

i was not aware that the .223 wylde was not suitable for carbine length rifles , it should not affect me with an 18 inch barrel with rifle length gas
    You are still not understanding it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast