Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wilson Purchesed Lehigh Defense

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Handgun rounds are not good for penetrating barriers, then performing as intended. I would like to see Wilson Combat test the LeHigh Defense cartridge while using denim, jacket leather and canvas duck material.
    Done many times, some of which posted here already.

Eventually, we will see a number of shootings where LeHigh Defense ammunition was used and have the ability to collect real data.
    Some day perhaps, I'd personally like to see formal testing which I suspect will come sooner.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I would NEVER carry this ammo. Since it is a hollowpoint at those speeds it will over expand and under penetrate.
    Unless it was designed / engineered to perform specifically at those velocities as to penetration and expansion. I do like the barrier blind aspect of the Lehigh.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Done many times, some of which posted here already.

Some day perhaps, I'd personally like to see formal testing which I suspect will come sooner.
    We were issued a high-speed service pistol cartridge that performed brilliantly during ballistic gelatin testing. It performed poorly in the field. People who worked in our central firearm training facility were big fans of the cartridge. Field personnel who were involved in shooting incidents and criminal investigators were not.

I'll wait for real world data before making a decision about a defensive pistol cartridge.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    We were issued a high-speed service pistol cartridge that performed brilliantly during ballistic gelatin testing. It performed poorly in the field. People who worked in our central firearm training facility were big fans of the cartridge. Field personnel who were involved in shooting incidents and criminal investigators were not.

I'll wait for real world data before making a decision about a defensive pistol cartridge.
    Makes sense. We all know the 5.7 story...
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Unless it was designed / engineered to perform specifically at those velocities as to penetration and expansion.
    It isn’t. Its got a gaping maw, is lightweight, and is advertised to reduce penetration.

“Reduced over-penetration”

“We designed the Civil Defense line to eliminate threats with one round.”

“the hydraulic pressure builds until the side walls of the projectile explode. With that explosion comes rifle sized temporary cavities and hydrostatic shock, therefore increasing stopping power by tenfold. Following the explosion, the bullet fragments into a starburst shaped pattern”

“reduced over penetration and lessening the risk of unintended casualties”
    Last edited by 1168; 10-02-22 at 10:02.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    It isn’t. Its got a gaping maw, is lightweight, and is advertised to reduce penetration.
    Then I would never use it personally. Penetration is more important then expansion if it's a choice between one or the other. Modern JHPs do an excellent balance of both when they perform reliably, as intended. A JHP that expands early due to high velocity but fails to penetrate to hit the important stuff is fail.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Remember these arent radically new designs, cavitation bullets have been around for a long time and never really caught on for good reason.

Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score

What was the velocity and caliber of the round?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What was the velocity and caliber of the round?
    115g 9mm +P+. Average Velocity was 1,340 fps out of a 4" barrel. The bodies that I saw had exit wounds the size of entrance wounds. The autopsy photos that I reviewed showed the same results.

The cartridge was an excellent sub-machine gun round. I never saw autopsy photos of SMG deaths that involved fewer than a dozen hits, so I do not think it was indicative of performance from a handgun.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I would NEVER carry this ammo. Since it is a hollowpoint at those speeds it will over expand and under penetrate.
    Well the point Im trying to make is velocity isnt an indicator of capability. There are plenty of low velocity examples that perform fantastically like shotgun slugs, lever action magnums or even musket balls that are traveling at pistol velocities that make both massive temp. stretch cavities and perm. crush cavities in gel with excellent real world results.

These days I just go right past the marketing gimmicks of velocity and energy, for me it just comes down to what is the interaction between the bullet and tissue with or without intervening barriers.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 10-02-22 at 22:21.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123