Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the next drill to practice ?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

What is the next drill to practice ?

We have been shooting the dickens drill each week and now thats old. So what is your favorite drill for handgun practice?

I was looking at the classic Bill Drill as maybe our next drill to work on, but I am open to great suggestions to get better. We just need something to keep the interest level up. Any suggestions welcomed.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    In my opinion, and if you’ve got Instagram, Matt Pranka (https://www.instagram.com/xray.alpha.llc/) and Ben Stoeger (https://www.instagram.com/benstoeger/) or (https://www.instagram.com/practicals...traininggroup/) post up all kinds of good drills and explain the what and the why behind each drill.
    Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    F.A.S.T.

ETA: or the classic El Prez!
    Last edited by ViniVidivici; 10-02-22 at 23:04.

Feedback Score
    To practice or to shoot? Because those are very different things. For example, the FASTest is generally agreed upon to be a pretty mediocre drill to practice, because it wasn't designed as a practice drill, but as an audit of your overall handgun handling; TLG himself stated in my AFHF that if one was trying to get better at the FASTest, it would be far better to practice the individual components rather than run the entire drill over and over again.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Around here it's called the North Port-Start standing with 2 gas cans, on signal drop both cans, draw and engage all targets until down. DQ if any smokes fall and hit gas cans.

North Port II-Start sitting in squated truck, flat brimmed hat on and white frame glasses worn. On signal, blow horn, yell whatever flows, remove stage supplied Taurus from glove box and engage all targets until down. DQ if your energy drink is spilled.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    We have been shooting the dickens drill each week and now thats old. So what is your favorite drill for handgun practice?

I was looking at the classic Bill Drill as maybe our next drill to work on, but I am open to great suggestions to get better. We just need something to keep the interest level up. Any suggestions welcomed.

PB
    Doubles drill. Rifle and pistol.
    In my mind, any other drill is a test. Dry fire covers everything but recoil control. Doubles shows your flaws very well... i guess a bill drill would be similar.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The Dot Torture Drill seems mindlessly simple.
    If you can clean it, from 5 yds., every time, with irons and/or RD you've achieved a degree a mastery with the basics of handgun shooting.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The Hackathorn 10/10/10 drill is pretty good in regards to sight management, trigger control and solid grip/body position.
    10 rounds, 10 yards, 10 seconds, 100 max on B8 repair center-if you can't keep them on that-don't waste ammo.

Another option to the Bill drill with a target change-position 3" dots so you have 6 of them horizontally, shooting 1 round each on each dot. Variations such as starting with one round per second, running the line and incrementally lowering split until the wheels fall off. Also work it like a plate rack, L-R, R-L, Outside-In and Inside-Outside. Keep adding difficulty, do 3 then reload, etc or go man on man(don't get excited)

While I don't have the facility any longer, I used to run a mega plate rack, 8 sets of plates, run 25 yards out, 25 yards in, one plate and repeat until done. One round per plate, 10 push ups for any one left standing. I would dream all sorts of demented shit. Used to do the 1200 yard KD with one plate (12x12) per 100 yards. 400 yards and in where not prone.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I still think the Dixie chick drill or whatever is valuable. I tried shooting it left hand supported and went 7/10 I think. Left hand unsupported has a way to go.

As a Non-LE individual who doesn't go in public a lot or carry very much, romantic super cool mag change/reload drills are a thing of the past.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I always include dot torture a few times a month. You can start at 3 yards until you can clear then move to 5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast