Thread: Ability vs Shotgun

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Ability vs Shotgun

I was at the range yesterday and was asked to coach someone who was working out with a shotgun on one of the 25 yard pistol bays at our gun club. A gentleman who was on a very tight budget was shooting a well worn 50+ year old Stevens pump action shotgun with 28" barrel.

I watched the man shoot at three targets placed 10 meters from his firing point, spaced like you would position targets to run an El Presidente drill. He was running 10 round, not 12 round, drills. He had 10 rounds left in a box of high brass # 6 shells and some 5 round boxes of #4 buckshot. He seemed to be reasonably proficient, and I asked if he would mind if I timed him with a CE shot timer.

First run, he fired 5 rounds of #6 high brass shells, reloaded with 5, then put 5 more shells on target. His time was 17.2 seconds and all shots were centered on target. I replaced the targets with fresh ones, then he loaded his shotgun with 5 rounds of # 4 buckshot and put 5 more rounds between his belt and trousers on his strong side. On the second run, he finished in 15.8 seconds, which I found quite impressive. To fire 5 rounds of # 4 buckshot, reload, then fire 5 more with all shots centered on target in 15.8 seconds showed he had been practicing and knew his equipment.

I asked if he was willing to fire one more relay, to see if his time improved, he told me he only had 10 rounds of #4 buckshot left and he needed to keep the rounds to have on hand for home defense. Did he set any records? No. Can an individual on a limited budget find something he can use for home defense? Certainly.

I had little advice to offer him to help him improve his speed and efficiency and we discussed low cost WML options. I've seen people with high dollar equipment not do as well and will use this an example in future classes.

Buy what you can readily afford, then train with it. If all you can afford is a beat up $100 shotgun, I would not consider you defenseless.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Agreed. Use the tools you have effectively, regardless of the tools you have.

Feedback Score
    Great story, and I'd rather fight next to a guy like that, than some dude with a super expensive setup and no training.

I wish more people would focus more of their budget on training, rather than having the coolest/best/most expensive gun and gear out there. Good gear can offer advantages, and in a lot of cases better reliability, but doesn't make you deadlier if you're not proficient running your gun.

I know a lot of people who just keep buying ammo to hoard, but haven't really "trained" a day in their life. I tell them the 10k rounds of ammo won't do them much good if they don't have the skills and know how to win a gunfight.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Another reminder I need to get outside with my shotgun. Been hording ammo during the shortage and feel like I'll be starting from scratch. Weather has been beautiful and no kids soccer this weekend.

Thank you for the story and the nudge.

Feedback Score
    Train with a purpose.

Not all training needs to be live fire and actually you will benefit more for dry practice.

Feedback Score
    When I clicked on this thread I was expecting to read about the dreaded kid who just bought a pistol grip mossberg shotgun in 12 or 20 gauge for the first time, and believing the Hollywood bs of recoil and aiming, or not even needing to aim a shotgun. I experienced this at the range at least twice, and sadly the kids never listen; however, instead of that commonality I read about a man who is about business in a proper fashion.

This gladdens my heart, and it drives home a fact. I need to spend some quality time with my Remington 870 police. It has been far to long, and my physical abilities have changed since the last time. Thank you for sharing your experience and for inspiring me to get off my butt.
    Member of the JPFO, NRA, and TSRA!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Staying within a modest budget and training to the best of your ability with the equipment you have available is something I greatly appreciate.

Two years ago, I taught a carbine class and did not specify the criteria for the carbine. Two women, farm girls, showed up without AR's. One of them had a M1 Carbine and the other had a SKS. When I asked about their choice of equipment, the one with the M1 Carbine said "It's a carbine class, right?". Both of the women did really well with the equipment they had.
    Train 2 Win