Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Powder Availability Alert

Feedback Score
    Sportsman Warehouse (at least in my area) used to have very competitive prices...not so much anymore.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    Sportsman Warehouse (at least in my area) used to have very competitive prices...not so much anymore.
    I honestly wouldn't set my prices very low either. You'd just get wiped out of inventory, and probably half of the stuff would get re-sold by some asshole who flips it at a gun show.

I knew a dick that did shit like this last year.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    About the only thing I can find with any consistency around here is Shooters World powder. I picked up a pound of AR Plus and loaded up a ladder with 55 grain SP's. Hopefully I will get a chance to shoot it one day but it is winter now and the 100 meter indoor range that I frequent doesn't allow chronographs and I want to clock thise things as well as shoot for groups. It meters like H335, hopefully it shoots as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Or $235.99 (+ hazmat, tax and whatever other shipping shit) for an 8lb jug of TAC...

Screw that AND all the bastards non stop printing US dollars making the ones already out there worth LESS and LESS every day. I pray a flesh rotting pox be upon them AND that the fleas of a thousand camels infest all of their homes.

I'm with you, "as my Dad would say "Dammit to hell ''

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    It's not $169.99 any more...
    Yeah, that's about what I paid, ≈10 years ago, when I stocked up.

After Newtown, I saw the writing on the wall...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by s4s4u View Post
    About the only thing I can find with any consistency around here is Shooters World powder. I picked up a pound of AR Plus and loaded up a ladder with 55 grain SP's. Hopefully I will get a chance to shoot it one day but it is winter now and the 100 meter indoor range that I frequent doesn't allow chronographs and I want to clock thise things as well as shoot for groups. It meters like H335, hopefully it shoots as well.
    I do like that stuff as well. (H335)

Got lucky and snagged 4 jugs of it (all from same lot number) back when it was cheap (as compared to the current fookery with prices).

I see no problem in buying a single lb of a new powder when 'trying it out' for the first time but suggest that if you like it - Lay it in deep in the big jugs or try to make sure all the little jugs came from the same lot so you are not having to re-work loads you really like as the lot numbers on your powder change.

Not every online retailer makes it easy to find out or request that when you buy 'x' lbs of a particular powder (that comes in more than one jugs depending on the order) that it all comes from the same lot. Really miss the old days when Wideners was well stocked with everything (products and customer service folks both) and a guy could simply call, ask the sales person and them go actually LOOK and confirm such stuff before placing an order. Only other way to know for sure is to buy locally where you can actually see the jugs personally and do your own checking.

Even the 8lb jugs are only like 2k worth of .223 ammo each. 2 cases worth is not a lot really. If you bough one of the Hornady bulk boxes of .223 projectiles (7k bullets) and had say 3 different lots of that powder in the 8lb jugs you could potentially be having to rework a load for that one box of projectiles 3 times before running out of powder and still having a few projectiles left over. Work that you don't 'need' to do if you make sure it is all from the same lot before you buy it...

I feel the same way about the bullets. Those Hornady bulk boxes of 55 grain SP's all came off the line in the same run. Seems to me that they would be inherently more consistent then batches separated by a few years or more.

Even if I am completely wrong about the consistency crap and the need to work up loads as the components 'may' slightly change from lot to lot - I still take pride in the fact that my buying in bulk saves the lives of baby seals and/or saves room in the landfill for other shit I want to dispose of.

That is 140 plastic Hornady boxes that no baby seal will ever choke on right there. Only packaging other than a little box tape is cardboard. Having on numerous occasions witnessed my dogs eat cardboard (saw it after they ate it but still...) and safely shit it out the next day I am fairly confident any baby seal should be able to do the same.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Good Grief. I just popped in to Sportsmans and they had some Benchmark. No price on the shelf, but the other powders near it were $35 per pound so I grabbed a pound. $54 bucks at the register. I just perpetuated the fukktardery by buying it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Good Grief. I just popped in to Sportsmans and they had some Benchmark. No price on the shelf, but the other powders near it were $35 per pound so I grabbed a pound. $54 bucks at the register. I just perpetuated the fukktardery by buying it.
    Ouch. I just get too pissed off, I'm not ready to pay these prices.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    They had 8 lbs of TAC too. Also with no price. I guess I'll use it to preserve my H322 powder stock a little.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Would not be surprised if prices stay high and / or go even higher into the next few years.

Hope I am wrong...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast