Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Wilson SFT9

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the report, I’m on the hunt for one in the near future. I liked the EDC X9 I finally laid hands on, but would prefer a more slab sided grip as I’ve found them to be easier to manage recoil recovery, and easier to establish a consistent grip on out of the holster.

I like my VP9 as well but it does tend to wiggle side to side a bit during rapid fire if I’m not gripping the gun like I’m trying to murder it. Doesn’t help that the texturing HK uses isn’t particularly “grippy”. Plus when I do grip the gun hard with a high thumbs grip I override the slide stop lever and don’t get slide lock on an empty magazine. Never had that issue with 1911 slide stops since they’re usually far enough forward to be out of my way.

How is the Xtac pattern for retaining a good grip?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Thanks for the report, I’m on the hunt for one in the near future. I liked the EDC X9 I finally laid hands on, but would prefer a more slab sided grip as I’ve found them to be easier to manage recoil recovery, and easier to establish a consistent grip on out of the holster.

I like my VP9 as well but it does tend to wiggle side to side a bit during rapid fire if I’m not gripping the gun like I’m trying to murder it. Doesn’t help that the texturing HK uses isn’t particularly “grippy”. Plus when I do grip the gun hard with a high thumbs grip I override the slide stop lever and don’t get slide lock on an empty magazine.
    That's really the only complaint I and others have ever had on the Vp9. Mentioned that here various times. Someone should make an after market slide stop that sticks out more.

How is the Xtac pattern for retaining a good grip?
    Outstanding without being abrasive.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Far as I can tell yes. I tend to pull left when I'm out of practice, and was. It was also more a reliability/function testing than accuracy per se. 50rnd of carry ammo (Federal HST 124g) and 200rdns of FMJ. I'd expect a 3k+ 1911 based gun from Wilson to be pretty dead on and assumed the left leaning rnds all due to me.

Red tends to stand out more in my experience.
    I tend to pull left when out of practice too. Also when I'm in a hurry.

Feedback Score
    Not to necro this thread but I found a used (like box of 50 rounds) Wilson Combat SFX9 4” with their optic cut/plate for an RMR. Had to carefully file down the mounting screws for my old RMR to .390” overall length but they now fit without bottoming out. Optic is mounted and roughly slaved to the iron sights awaiting a range trip. Ordered three more magazines of the 18 round variety to augment the two 15 round flush fit units that came with the pistol.

I can’t complain since it’s exactly what I would have ordered minus the optic plate (I like the ACRO mounting footprint and would prefer a P-2). For a gun that would have run a bit over $3K new I’m happily into this one for a bit over $2200 with taxes, so Staccato C2 optic ready money but for a Wilson Combat.

Range report to follow hopefully soon.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 07-14-23 at 01:10.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Not to necro this thread but I found a used (like box of 50 rounds) Wilson Combat SFX9 4” with their optic cut/plate for an RMR. Had to carefully file down the mounting screws for my old RMR to .390” overall length but they now fit without bottoming out. Optic is mounted and roughly slaved to the iron sights awaiting a range trip. Ordered three more magazines of the 18 round variety to augment the two 15 round flush fit units that came with the pistol.

I can’t complain since it’s exactly what I would have ordered minus the optic plate (I like the ACRO mounting footprint and would prefer a P-2). For a gun that would have run a bit over $3K new I’m happily into this one for a bit over $2200 with taxes, so Staccato C2 optic ready money but for a Wilson Combat.

Look forward to a range report. Post some pics when you get a minute. Congrats

PB

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

As much as I like the SFT9, what I really wanted is the SFX9. I'm tempted to sell the SFT9 to buy the SFX9. Obviously both are outstanding pistols.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Look forward to a range report. Post some pics when you get a minute. Congrats

PB
    I’ll see what I can do.

upload images

Feedback Score
    Took it to the range today. Pistol is very accurate, trigger is great, recoil is minimal because it’s a 9mm.

Problem: premature slide lockback. The slide stop is barely engaging the slide under recoil locking the slide to the rear with rounds still in the magazine. This occurs with every magazine I have, shooting with two hands or single handed.

I encountered a similar issue years ago on another 1911 and used a file to carefully grind a detent notch into the rear of the lever where the spring loaded plunger engages the slide stop lever.

I just got home and field stripped the pistol. There is no indication of brass, copper, or any ammunition related contact with the slide stop lever where the magazine follower contacts it to lock the slide on an empty magazine.

So I will carefully cut a detent notch with a small round file and polish it. Testing the magazines as I go to ensure the followers can still overcome the extra resistance the plunger will apply in a deeper notch. Then re-test the pistol.

I jammed the lever down with my offhand thumb for each magazine and ran it as fast as I could, no issues with positive downward pressure.

Feedback Score
    Slide stop modification complete.

This is a tool steel part I’m guessing, because it took bluing.

It now takes just a bit of effort to move it up towards the slide but the magazine followers still activate it without issue. Makes a satisfying “snick” moving into or out of the plunger detent I just added. With any luck this will cure the issue like it did 20 years ago with my other 1911.

Feedback Score
    Another trip to the range this afternoon. Rained like hell but that drove everyone else away. Perfect.

Took some small files with me this time to make adjustments to the slide stop as needed. The two 15 round magazines ran like raped apes. The 18 round unit still gave me a few issues, but before was single feed for all 18 rounds. Made my plunger notch a smidge deeper with a file, better but not totally resolved. I then looked at the rest of the slide stop and there was an area getting contact with the magazine body. So out came the file and I removed a few thousands, marked it with a sharpie and reassembled.

I then ran about 150 rounds of 124gr ball through that 18 rounder as fast as I could shooting two handed, right handed, and left handed. No further issues presented in the 18 round magazine, pistol ran like a champ. Ran another 100 rounds of 125gr hollow points through all magazines, no issues. Took the slide stop out and checked my sharpie marker, still some contact but spread over a larger area higher on the part. So not getting a concentrated “hit” under recoil at the bottom end pushing it into premature slide lock. In fact the contact mark at the bottom is now gone completely.

This should have never left Wilson Combat functioning this way, and were I the first owner it would have been sent back. Not sure how their warranty is for people other than the original owner. So far their customer service ordering parts has been atrocious. Two orders in a row messed up.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 07-22-23 at 20:26.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast