Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brass trimming: how close is “exactly” the same length.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    It's funny that of all of the time consuming steps that reloading entails, trimming seems to be almost universally reviled.
    OMG, I used this POS exactly ONE time.

My hand STILL hurts from spinning around 10 years ago.

You can just make out my Giraud in the background.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I need to send my unit back. I think it has a bad bearing. I heard he's got great service and turn around time. My ass is crippled without my Giraud.
    Shoot him an email. He responds very quickly to questions.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Trimming brass sucks, no question about it. I refrain as long as I can from doing it but with that said I bought this a few years ago and it works pretty well. It's not a Giraud but it is pretty handy. I would really love to compare the two but I'm sure there is no comparison, LOL This one works so I'll just suffer through the task like everyone else!
    https://www.lymanproducts.com/brass-...-trim-xpresstm These vary greatly in price depending on where you buy it, I got mine a few years ago and it was under $130ish, on sale and with Free shipping, maybe Midways USA, would have to look into it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Complete nonsense. Uniformity is always desirable, but that statement is nuts. With the LEE FCD, the trim lengths specifically need not be the same. That's LEE's idea behind the die. I started using it years back because I never trimmed any .223 brass.

Now with a Taper crimp die, length variations will change the amount of crimp. I'd guess my trim variances to be +/- .002" because the Giraud trimmer indexes off the shoulder, and I shoot mixed brass without annealing.

If you're trimming back the really long necks and getting remotely consistent length, you're fine.
    I struggle to keep my tri-way to .01" and it also indexes off the shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    It's funny that of all of the time consuming steps that reloading entails, trimming seems to be almost universally reviled.
    Oh, its not just me? I dont mind reloading, but HATE trimming!! And I dont know why!
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-05-22 at 19:44.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    OMG, I used this POS exactly ONE time.

My hand STILL hurts from spinning around 10 years ago.

You can just make out my Giraud in the background.

I removed the crank handle from my RCBS case trimmer and attached a cordless drill to spin the cutter. It's quite a bit faster and high to low brass length readings are within 0.002".
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    I read about people who say that you can attach the RCBS three-way cutter to the Hornady trimmer. But it looks to me like you’d have to disassemble the whole damn thing. Anybody here ever actually done that?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If the threads are the same size, I recommend using a 3-way cutter if you can afford it. It certainly saves a lot of time.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    I loaned out my Super Gracey to a friend who needs to process around 4K of military cases. He's almost done with it, and the Gracey has been a trooper and is still holding the length variation under 2 thousandths, but my friends enthusiasm is fading, and he hasn't touched it in over a month. No matter how you do it, trimming brass just universally sucks.
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    Just this moment finished trimming a 50 ct block of lc21 with a possum hollow kwick trimmer, turning cases in a drill. 21 minutes including occasional oal and headspace measurement. Trimming indexes off shoulder and is within a half a thou. I can almost guess headspace off of oal measurement. Still, it leaves a tremalous burr inside and out. Process sux especially when multiplied by 2601 cases.....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    Just this moment finished trimming a 50 ct block of lc21 with a possum hollow kwick trimmer, turning cases in a drill. 21 minutes including occasional oal and headspace measurement. Trimming indexes off shoulder and is within a half a thou. I can almost guess headspace off of oal measurement. Still, it leaves a tremalous burr inside and out. Process sux especially when multiplied by 2601 cases.....
    I think I still have one of those somewhere. I ran some brass and the chatter and burring made that thing completely unacceptable.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast