Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brass trimming: how close is “exactly” the same length.

Feedback Score
    You are correct! And it's painful, too. Finally folded over a bunch of electrical tape and affixed to end of trimmer to remedy bruising of palm. (If you hold in fingers, bilsters!) It has proven accurate and lasted for 8 or 10 thousand rounds. Maybe primer costs will go down one day and I will be able to upgrade. For now I'll just agree that trimming isn't as fun as seating bullets....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    OMG, I used this POS exactly ONE time.

My hand STILL hurts from spinning around 10 years ago.

You can just make out my Giraud in the background.

Started out with one in the 1990's and hated it. I don't think twisting the hex key till it snapped could have got enough torque on the set screws on mine to keep them locked.

As soon as I thought all was well and decided to not check them every few pieces they would back off and I would end up mowing a neck or 2 halfway to the shoulder. I thought the little Lee trimmers were a miracle for the longest time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Started out with one in the 1990's and hated it. I don't think twisting the hex key till it snapped could have got enough torque on the set screws on mine to keep them locked.

As soon as I thought all was well and decided to not check them every few pieces they would back off and I would end up mowing a neck or 2 halfway to the shoulder. I thought the little Lee trimmers were a miracle for the longest time.

Sure you did...

(not my experience at all - can't see how that is even possible is a guy halfway even tries to pay attention)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have had good luck with the RCBS Trim Pro case trimmer. It's a good trimmer for the price I paid for it in 1998. Over the past twenty+ years, I've trimmed 4,000 to 5,000 brass per year with mine and I've been able to develop some accurate loads with the brass.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Sure you did...

(not my experience at all - can't see how that is even possible is a guy halfway even tries to pay attention)
    Because it isn't exactly fast trimming to start with and the slippage is gradual. Sort of a boiling a frog scenario. Once I caught it I could go back and measure and cases got progressively shorter.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Because it isn't exactly fast trimming to start with and the slippage is gradual. Sort of a boiling a frog scenario. Once I caught it I could go back and measure and cases got progressively shorter.
    You have to make sure the locking screws on the stop collar are snug enough to prevent movement. You also have to make sure you apply enough pressure for the stop collar to bear on the trimmer body.

Routine cleaning of the trimmer shaft, and body, and light lubrication makes it easier to consistently apply pressure to ensure the stop collar is in the same location each and every time you trim a brass case. Brushing brass shavings off the trimmer head, before they build up, is equally important.

After trimming 50 rifle cases, I measure trimmed length of all of them. If I pay close attention, the longest to shortest cases are certainly less than 0.004", and quite often within 0.002" difference.

I haven't used the crank handle in years. I attach a cordless drill to the trimmer drive shaft and run the drill on low speed.
    Last edited by T2C; 10-11-22 at 08:11.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    You have to make sure the locking screws on the stop collar are snug enough to prevent movement. You also have to make sure you apply enough pressure for the stop collar to bear on the trimmer body.

Routine cleaning of the trimmer shaft, and body, and light lubrication makes it easier to consistently apply pressure to ensure the stop collar is in the same location each and every time you trim a brass case. Brushing brass shavings off the trimmer head, before they build up, is equally important.

After trimming 50 rifle cases, I measure trimmed length of all of them. If I pay close attention, the longest to shortest cases are certainly less than 0.004", and quite often within 0.002" difference.

I haven't used the crank handle in years. I attach a cordless drill to the trimmer drive shaft and run the drill on low speed.
    Never really got it it to the point of being gunked up with brass shavings(I doubt I ever got more than a couple dozen trimmed past tightening) and tightened the set screws with a multi hex key from RCBS till they wouldn't turn any more and it would still loosen.

Had similar issues with set screws on RCBS lock rings with and without a piece of lead shot under the screw. They wouldn't vibrate loose as fast as the trimmer, but would invariably loosen. Tried rubber O rings to mimic Lee's rings and everything stayed set.

Everything mentioned was purchased at the same time so there could have been some set screw or other component issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I have had good luck with the RCBS Trim Pro case trimmer. It's a good trimmer for the price I paid for it in 1998. Over the past twenty+ years, I've trimmed 4,000 to 5,000 brass per year with mine and I've been able to develop some accurate loads with the brass.
    Absolutely love mine.

Zero issues with the regular tool steel cutters they come with but the solid carbide cutter is a worth while upgrade. I have no doubt the cuts it makes with that will be flawless for longer than my lifetime.

Feedback Score
    So I had some short cases, and I lost about 70fps with them. Im using a lee fcd, any change the shorter neck results in less tension?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    So I had some short cases, and I lost about 70fps with them. Im using a lee fcd, any change the shorter neck results in less tension?
    WTF?? I'd like to know more about that situation.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast