Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ronin EMP

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Ronin EMP

I am considering a 4 inch 9mm Springfield Ronin for concealed carry.

Wondering if any members here have experience with the EMP platform. Interested in durability, holster options and general thoughts regarding the pistol. I like the SA trigger, ergos. I also like the fact that it is lighter than a Commander.I am aware it uses proprietary mags, parts are generally not interchangeable with traditional 1911.

The original EMP were well north or $1k. The Ronin variant is considerably cheaper. I have been wanting a 9mm 1911 for a while.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It does look really good...

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    No doubt it will have MIM internals/FCG.
    This may affect the durability issue, depending on one’s definition of durability.
    And yes, it’s a good looking pistol. I’m a sucker for a “proper” two tone.
    Last edited by gaijin; 10-07-22 at 18:24.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Are there good ignition kits available for the EMP guns?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    All of the Ronin series have mim internals...I have always liked 2 tone pistols as well.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have a bit over 1000 rounds through the EMP. I shot it in some PPC matches and like it. Fun gun.

I installed a S&A magwell and swapped the grips. The magwell is mandatory in my opinion. The untapered, single stack mags are very easy to misalign if I try to impersonate John Wick. I recommend the 10 round mags with the extended baseplate.

Only issue with the gun is the barrel throat. It is actually shorter than the Gen 5 Glocks. It wouldn't chamber reloads that ran fine in my Gen 5 G19. The EMP has a stainless barrel. I was able to have a gunsmith ream it.

Decent pistol. It was a cost effective way to scratch the 1911 9mm itch. (Also looks cool)
    Last edited by signal4l; 06-08-23 at 12:54.

Feedback Score
    I am a 1911 fan, but don't own a single 45ACP 1911. I do have them chambered in 9mm, 357Sig, 9x23Win and 40S&W. One thing that I've figured out over the years is that if the distance between the rear of the pistol and the face of the trigger is too short, my trigger finger reaches around the trigger too far. While the idea of having a smaller 1911 appeals to me for concealed carry, this distance between the rear of the pistol and the face of the trigger is perfect for me for proper trigger finger placement on a regular size 1911. Therefore, the EMP just wouldn't be a fit for me. All this to say, I think you need to evaluate where your trigger finger would end up in order to determine if the EMP would be a good option. If you tend to do better with medium or large size grips, then it likely won't be beneficial for you. If you do better with small grips, it might be great.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Not owning at least ONE 1911 in .45 ACP approaches sacrilege.
    While I also own 1911s in “sub” calibers, for the right reasons, I keep a few in the original chambering.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Not owning at least ONE 1911 in .45 ACP approaches sacrilege.
    While I also own 1911s in “sub” calibers, for the right reasons, I keep a few in the original chambering.
    Totally agree. Most of my 1911’s are .45 ACP.

Feedback Score
    I have nothing against 45ACP. It's just that I already have plenty of pistols chambered for other handgun cartridges and see no reason to add another. I have a personal ban on 380ACP too. There's nothing wrong with it either, but it's just not for me.

BTW, I left 10mm off of my list of 1911 chambered pistols. I've also purposefully avoided 38Super. 9x23Win fills that niche for me.
    Last edited by Bret; 06-19-23 at 08:09.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast