Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One Simple Trick To Lose Weight

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    East breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and supper like a pauper.

We usually eat supper around 5:30 +/-. I occasionally have a snack or some booze/beer in the evening.
    That is the way to approach it yes. I also am unable to do that, but also not in need of weight loss. My problem is I always end up eating late, and or, late eating as I'm still hungry. Even minus weight, metabolically better to follow your above schedule per paper supplied.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    16 participants?!?
    I’d also like to see this scheme vs period IE intermittent fasting.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dont_tread_on_me View Post
    16 participants?!?
    Employed a cross over design and is in line with other data finding same effects. More nutrition studies should employ that design.

Quote Originally Posted by dont_tread_on_me View Post
    I’d also like to see this scheme vs period IE intermittent fasting.
    A recent study, included with the other IF studies, has not found IF superior to typical approaches when isocaloric:

https://brinkzone.com/intermittent-fasting-study/
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Eat clean - that is only simple trick

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonaldOO View Post
    Eat clean - that is only simple trick
    Define "clean." Dude lost 40lb eating nothing but McDonalds:

https://www.today.com/health/man-los...lds-2D11863528

Cals/energy is what matter most.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    So I came across this eating earlier plan on my own, and it really does seem to be working for me.

I eat my biggest meal for lunch at around 11am, with a moderate breakfast around 7am and a very small (basically snack sized) dinner at 5:30-ish with no random eating after dinner. I've also re-arranged the macros of my meals so that the vast bulk of the carbs are positioned in the breakfast and lunch meals while my small dinner is largely protein and some fat.

I've been losing a little bit of weight, but more importantly, I'm sleeping better, I'm less hungry during the day, and I have more energy. I've also noticed that my blood glucose response is less disordered now than it was 4 months ago (my wife it T1D, so I have access to Dexcom G6 sensors). That in itself is a major win! My last A1C was on the upper end of "normal", but the CGM data from that time period was a mess and clearly indicated some fairly concerning dysglycemia. The last round of monitoring was a lot better, though still indicated further work to be done.

Anyway, I'm sold on eating early.

Feedback Score
    I can buy that triggering a little bit of fasting (i.e. last meal before 6 PM and eat nothing until breakfast the next day) can help trigger some cellular changes. But to Will Brink's point, it's the overall energy balance that matters more. I would be that people who start losing weight by not eating anything after 6 PM are doing so because anything they would have eaten was empty calories like beer, chips, popcorn, and other snack food they're mindlessly munching on while watching tv.

I say that as someone who went all-in on the "it's not how much you eat but what you eat" bandwagon 13 years ago (and Will actually called me out for it back then) only to have to walk it back to reality eventually. There's no shortcut for managing energy balance.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    I can buy that triggering a little bit of fasting (i.e. last meal before 6 PM and eat nothing until breakfast the next day) can help trigger some cellular changes. But to Will Brink's point, it's the overall energy balance that matters more. I would be that people who start losing weight by not eating anything after 6 PM are doing so because anything they would have eaten was empty calories like beer, chips, popcorn, and other snack food they're mindlessly munching on while watching tv.

I say that as someone who went all-in on the "it's not how much you eat but what you eat" bandwagon 13 years ago (and Will actually called me out for it back then) only to have to walk it back to reality eventually. There's no shortcut for managing energy balance.
    That's still the #1 variable to control, but, it does appear via OP that same cals etc, reversed as to the way most of us eat, may have additional benefits on weight loss. That one comes under "worth a try" category for sures.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    This One Trick has the HEALTH industry RATTLED.

Want to lose weight? EAT LESS FOOD.

It's
    That
    Simple

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    This One Trick has the HEALTH industry RATTLED.

Want to lose weight? EAT LESS FOOD.

It's
    That
    Simple
    In general, I agree with you. But there are cases when people do their best to lose weight, but don't see many results. Usually, it happens due to health issues they didn't know about before starting their weight loss journey. I personally found out that my ketosis level was higher than it should be exactly this way. And my body didn't burn fat for energy as I wanted (here is a good article on the topic https://betterme.world/articles/idea...r-weight-loss/ if someone is interested). Fortunately, after the medical treatment, I finally lost several pounds and can manage my weight now.
    Last edited by Gregory234; 02-28-23 at 02:41.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast