Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question regarding barrel fitting

Feedback Score

Question regarding barrel fitting

Hi,
    I'm putting together a new build, and I test fitted the Centurion barrel to the receiver ( Square forge) and there was a little play in it ( I did not need to Thermofit)

So my question is should I use Loctite 620 to tighten up /lock it to receiver or do you think just barrel nut torque will be enough. I don't have any shims to go over barrel extension which is why I'm asking about the Loctite 620.

Any replies would be appreciated.... I'm hoping the Centurion Arms barrel shoots well ( as it was purchased used..)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question regarding barrel fitting

I don’t use that stuff on barrels. Gas keys yes, barrels no.

I’d be curious what SOTAR would say about this one, if he is browsing and sees this question.

I’ve had exactly one where I used a single layer of annealed stainless shim stock of .001 thickness and it appeared to work well.

It was a fairly extreme case and while it worked, it probably would have been better to try another upper as Mark suggests below or buy a better barrel.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 10-12-22 at 11:52.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If the rifle is not being built for precision rifle matches, I would not use Loctite or do anything special when installing the barrel.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Definitely NO on the loctite. Barrel nut only or try a new upper. The forge mark only tell you who made the platter. Any machining after that has nothing to do with the forging.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    It is not a 'precision' build but I want to squeeze the best accuracy I can out of it. The upper was unfired, but it did have a barrel in it.. which I foolishly did not test for accuracy but.. I'm hoping that the hype over Centurion barrel accuracy lives up to it's preceded reputation.

I wanted to call Centurion but there is no listed number so.. I figured I would post here as many people have run their barrels to ask this question. I know Criterion had a video where they used the Loctite but I think this site is a little bit better with real world information.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I don’t use that stuff on barrels. Gas keys yes, barrels no.

I’d be curious what SOTAR would say about this one, if he is browsing and sees this question.

I’ve had exactly one where I used a single layer of annealed stainless shim stock of .001 thickness and it appeared to work well.

It was a fairly extreme case and while it worked, it probably would have been better to try another upper as Mark suggests below or buy a better barrel.
    Per my notes from SOTAR class:

The AMU reported a 7% consistency improvement when lapping the upper and bedding barrels with Loctite 620.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Per my notes from SOTAR class:

The AMU reported a 7% consistency improvement when lapping the upper and bedding barrels with Loctite 620.
    I would perform this procedure when building a rifle used for High Power Rifle competition. For a general use carbine or rifle, I wouldn't go to the trouble.

I've assembled uppers that had a slight amount of play between the barrel and receiver, without lapping and bedding, that shot sub-MOA at 300 yards.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WornOutGrunt View Post
    It is not a 'precision' build but I want to squeeze the best accuracy I can out of it. .
    Then there's no reason not to bed the barrel with Loctite. It's a simple 10 minute procedure (plus curing time).

I'm hoping that the hype over Centurion barrel accuracy lives up to it's preceded reputation.
    If you're referring to Cenutrion's CHF barrels, they're chrome-lined NATO chambered barrels manufactured by FN and accuracy/precision will be commensurate with the particular profile of the barrel and the ammunition that you're using. The Centurion CHF 16" mid-length barrel (1 pound, 10 ounces) that I tested was good for approximately 1.4 MOA using match-grade hand-loads.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    Then there's no reason not to bed the barrel with Loctite. It's a simple 10 minute procedure (plus curing time).

If you're referring to Cenutrion's CHF barrels, they're chrome-lined NATO chambered barrels manufactured by FN and accuracy/precision will be commensurate with the particular profile of the barrel and the ammunition that you're using. The Centurion CHF 16" mid-length barrel (1 pound, 10 ounces) that I tested was good for approximately 1.4 MOA using match-grade hand-loads.

Molon,

Slightly off topic but have you done any testing of DD's S2W 18" barrels? They're a chrome lined CHF barrel with HBAR profile. Was considering one for a SPR'ish build.
    Last edited by ClearedHot; 10-12-22 at 17:39.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Hi,
    I'm putting together a new build, and I test fitted the Centurion barrel to the receiver ( Square forge) and there was a little play in it ( I did not need to Thermofit)

So my question is should I use Loctite 620 to tighten up /lock it to receiver or do you think just barrel nut torque will be enough. I don't have any shims to go over barrel extension which is why I'm asking about the Loctite 620.

Any replies would be appreciated.... I'm hoping the Centurion Arms barrel shoots well ( as it was purchased used..)
    Which Centurion barrel and what kind of ammo? If it's one of the CHF barrels and you're not shooting precision ammo I doubt you'll see a significant improvement. Mine are all about 1.5 MOA shooters with 62 grain Hornady handloads and factory Gold Dot. All are mounted in either Vltor or BCM uppers, the BCM of course being a very tight fit.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast