Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RDS On A Lever Gun

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

RDS On A Lever Gun

I've always wanted a 357 lever gun... Specifically a Henry Steel Boy with round carbine barrel and a side gate. They finally make them and I have one on the way.

I'm probably going with a RDS, but am considering a low power scope. Anyone have suggestions for one over the other, and how to mount it as low as possible? I'm looking at the EGW & Phoenix Weaponry RMR style mounts for a SRO.

It's main use is plinking and teaching others rifle shooting (I already use a Henry 22lr for the same purpose). It will also be a truck gun when camping.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    It would depend on intended use of lever gun.
    Chambered in .357 I’d figure I’m limited to 150 yds best case. A RD makes perfect sense to me; no eye relief to mess with, light/precise and fast on target- just like the rifle.
    I’d experiment with some 180 gr WFN Cast Gas Check bullets and H110/296.
    Rainbow trajectory, but those hit hard and been accurate out of my revolvers.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Personally, I prefer a Micro over an SRO (or other open emitter).
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    RDS for me. No eye relief issues, very usable from 0-150 yards. Mine is set up on a Rossi R92 .44mag.

Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I have a 509t mounted in place if the rear sight on my BHA 89. Works very well for me, just like a RDS on a AR15. I've used scopes on Guide Guns in the past but didn't care for the extra weight and lack of a good cheek weld. I'm trying with the idea of buying another 89 with their rail and mounting a Scout or other EER scope to revisit the idea. My first thought would be to look to Talley or Leupold for ultra-low rings.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I like the looks of the LPVO, but its hard to argue how useful a LPVO vs RDS would fair in 357.

Caporider, I like that leather cheek weld, cool looking extra. I have been tempted to put a dot on one of my tactical shotguns that I never shoot, LOL.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    I bought a Henry in the spring after wanting one for a long time! Because I'm old and blind and "cheap" I mounted an existing scope I already had. I think it looks cool and a little out of place, but it works great and she prints decent groups from the bench @ 100yrds. I have a couple of different older RDS that could work ok also & maybe over the winter months I'll play around with that but for now, I like my little 1x8 power scope! Couple targets @ 50 yards,the 140XTP bullets shoot pretty decent @ 50. That's a sharp-looking Rossi for sure. Where did you get the cartridge carrier?
    Last edited by m1a_scoutguy; 10-12-22 at 22:06.

Feedback Score

I put a Swamp Fox on my Henry .22. It is a very fun gun to shoot and fast on target!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    I bought a Henry in the spring after wanting one for a long time! Because I'm old and blind and "cheap" I mounted an existing scope I already had. I think it looks cool and a little out of place, but it works great and she prints decent groups from the bench @ 100yrds. I have a couple of different older RDS that could work ok also & maybe over the winter months I'll play around with that but for now, I like my little 1x8 power scope! Couple targets @ 50 yards,the 140XTP bullets shoot pretty decent @ 50. That's a sharp-looking Rossi for sure. Where did you get the cartridge carrier?
    That side-loading Henry looks aces, and shoots!

Cartridge cuff is from Mason Leather: https://www.masonleather.com/store/c7/cartridge-cuffs#/
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks everyone. After suggestions here and elsewhere I'm researching closed emitters... Steiner MPS, Acro, Kraken, 509T...
    Anyone have hands on experience with them?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast